+161

in america its always 'this is america, speak english' yet its okay for americans to go to any foreign country and speak english, amirite?

4 33

You're probably talking about Americans visiting other countries. People who say that are usually referring to people who move to America and still don't speak a lick of English, or even try to learn it.

If you're living in America, learn some fucking English.

This is the milky way galaxy, speak English!

Well yes, but sometimes that's because they're tourists and aren't going to be fluent in every language so they can go to every country.

I have never met a single person who didn't learn the basics of the language of the country they were visiting.

Codays avatar Coday No Way +10Reply
@MusicIsAGift To be fair, parts of America speak Spanish to some extent.

You make a good point, but then, why is Spanish so prevalent there?

@_Jojo_ I'm guessing because of Mexico's proximity.

I mean most illegal immigrants just stay around there. I honestly don't think it's as big a problem as people make it out to be, but saying this sort of thing make the 'problem' self-sustaining, doesn't it?

@B10ckH34d I mean most illegal immigrants just stay around there. I honestly don't think it's as big a problem as people make...

I live far away from Mexico, and daily, I encounter someone who does not speak English and has been in the country for years (a lot of the time they are Spanish-speakers). Immigrants don't only stay near Mexico, nor do they only come from Mexico. People don't like that these immigrants come here for the benefits but won't learn English to make things simpler for those of us from here. It's different with American tourists because they don't plan on working in a foreign country and staying there for a good amount of time. If they do plan on doing this, I'm sure many of them learn the language, and if they don't, it's a little different since English is widely spoken. I'm not saying that these are my views, just trying to explain how others might see it.

@_Jojo_ I live far away from Mexico, and daily, I encounter someone who does not speak English and has been in the country...

But there are 48 states in the main part of the US. If 50% of immigrants stay near the border, each of the three states gets 15% of immigrants. But if they decide to move, each state only gets 1.11%. The concentration is greater near the border, which is why its acceptable to speak only Spanish there.

It's fine if you're going to be a hermit in the Rockies, but if you're going to live in any country, and expect to communicate with people, learn the biggest language there at least.

I don't understand why people get so offended when they encounter someone living in America who doesn't speak English (well or at all).. Like, sure it would probably be smart to learn the predominant language of the country, but it's not like it effects me in anyway. I work in retail where I have to deal with foreigners all the time and sometimes it's difficult to get through the language barrier but I don't feel the need to get angry about it. Jesus, calm yourselves.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +4Reply

...the only native people are the native Americans , so if every English speaker is, going back, a foreigner, should they really have the right to complain so much?....yeah leave us and our languages alone, get back on your mayflower !!

Snickers avatar Snicker Yeah You Are 0Reply

People only say that about people who are living here. It's very rude to relocate to a country and not learn the language.

@heythereilikeurhair i'm egyptian, my mom landed in a plane.

exactly, you are an import, go back to your tombs

@Snicker exactly, you are an import, go back to your tombs

you're proving me wrong but i use to think native americans were cool. rofl

@heythereilikeurhair So your family isn't here. lol

isn't where? my family is everywhere in "north america"

@Snicker isn't where? my family is everywhere in "north america"

This post isn't about "North America" it's about America. Cree live in Canada.

@heythereilikeurhair This post isn't about "North America" it's about America. Cree live in Canada.

The Cree tribe is one of the largest American Indian groups in North America. There are 200,000 Cree people today living in communities throughout Canada and in parts of the northern United States (North Dakota and Montana). There are also more than 100,000 Metis people in Canada. Many Metis people descend from Cree Indians and French Canadian voyageurs.

@Snicker The Cree tribe is one of the largest American Indian groups in North America. There are 200,000 Cree people today...

Sooo you ARE American. Lol, I honestly don't care though, you just seemed so adamant that you're the only real American here and then you kept contradicting yourself. I just have fun talking to people like you ;)

most americans can't speak english properly

Snickers avatar Snicker Yeah You Are -2Reply

Thinking about it, English is for England. shouldn't America have made their own language if they wanted 'independent'? Besides, isn't the only native people the native Americans ect, so if every English speaker is, going back, a foreigner, should they really have the right to complain so much?

@Thinking about it, English is for England. shouldn't America have made their own language if they wanted...

It would have been faaaaar too complicated to create an entirely new language, let alone ensure every American became fluent in it. Pretty much all the languages used today have ancient origins- you can't just 'come up' with a new language on a whim. That being said, however, I think it could be argued that America does have it's own form of english that deviates significantly from the english spoken in the UK. We use different slang, different common phrases and terms, have different accents, etc. But addressing your native American point- yes, in theory, to stay true to the 'real' language/culture of America, we would have to embrace the native culture. Unfortunately most Americans like to ignore this.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +1Reply