+235

The egg obviously came before the chicken. There could have been two completely random animals who decided to mate, and since they were different breeds, their baby ended up being a mutant mix of whatever they were. Then they laid an egg, which ended up being the first chicken in existence. Therefore, the egg came before the chicken, amirite?

avadakedavras avatar
8 64
The voters have decided that avadakedavra is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I disagree with you and Avadakedavra, But only with you slightly, it wasn't two different animals it was the same animal (Probably some type of dinosaur) mated and one or both of them had a mutation gene which made their offspring look more like a chicken and that offspring mated with more animals with that gene and so on and so forth until it became the modern chicken. :)

I read a scientific article about this. The chicken came first.

Dinosaurs laid eggs way before chickens even existed. Therefore, the egg came first.

Neither really "came first". Evolution's a gradual process. I imagine it would be hard to pinpoint what exactly was the first chicken.

@wobbuffet Neither really "came first". Evolution's a gradual process. I imagine it would be hard to pinpoint what exactly was...

But the egg (not the chicken egg) was laid by dinosaurs well before anything chickenesque came around

In the wise words of Luna Lovegood: "I think the answer is that a circle has no beginning."

@Sean In the wise words of Luna Lovegood: "I think the answer is that a circle has no beginning."

i think your right. and this person should have thought of that because obviously they are harry potter fans, since their username is a harry potter spell. it makes sense.

i think the egg came first because it could have been a mutant of that dinosaur that looks like a big chicken.

Scientists recently discovered an enzyme that proves that the egg came before the chicken.

For people who think the chicken came first: where did it come from? I'm pretty sure a random chicken didn't just poof out of nowhere and lay an egg.

At least the egg argument has an origin from where it came from. Like dinosaur mutants.

i'm betting some people are really tempted to remove this from their favorites because of all these notifications

This is like saying "What came first, the adult or the baby?"

@lilyzilla This is like saying "What came first, the adult or the baby?"

Haha I suppose so.
Just my theory, nobody has to agree or anything.

@avadakedavra Haha I suppose so. Just my theory, nobody has to agree or anything.

It isn't that I agree or disagree I'm really just making a comparison.

I see what you getting at...but no.

Well... not exactly like that, but the egg did come first.

That wouldn't work, their child would either die or be sterile, it wouldn't be a new species of animal called the chicken because you have to be able to interbreed to be a new species. Looks like someone slept through biology class...

@That wouldn't work, their child would either die or be sterile, it wouldn't be a new species of animal called the...

Thank you for saying this. avadakedavra: Ever heard of a Mule or a Liger. They can't have babies cause they're bred from a horse and a donkey or a tiger and a lion.

well, chickens actually evolved from dinosaurs, so i suppose through a long line, some weird, mutated form of dinosaur/bird thing layed an egg, and it was a chicken.

i always said the egg came 1st cuz dinosaurs laid eggs

The question doesn't state what kind of egg

The chicken had to come first. I mean the eggs have to be kept at a constant temperture. And the chickens sit on the eggs so they stay that temperture. So doesnt it make sense that the chicken would come first? Just a thought.

If there were two different animals that mated inorder to produce the egg which would be the chicken, the chicken would be a hybrid which are infact sterile

the scientists discovered a protein that comes from the chicken to produce an egg, and without that protein there can be no egg. Its science that further proves the beliefs of Christians

I've always said this. :)

Through long lines of evolution and EGG was laid by the pre-chicken creature. It was incubated by that creature or left in a nest and eventually hatched. It was part chicken but not full, enough to still work with it's own kind despite mutations. As evolution keeps successful mutations this chicken beast breeded and bred itself into a whole new style of creature. Egg by egg the hatchlings became more foul of their design.

A chicken cannot just appear, if it just appeared we would have to start talking about the hand of God theory, which means it is total assumption with no real grounds. Any SMART religious person will adopt that God triggers evolution so as to stay mysterious and yet in control. Rather then just a being playing with drawings and playdoh then giving his new thing life without any knowledge from growing through single celled dots to how they have adapted.

Evolution works against and with the idea of religion. It shows we do not need a God yet a God can do it. To...

No because the chicken would of not been fertile so it could not mate again to make another chicken... I took biology :)

I believe the chicken came first because it says in genisis of the bible that god created animals, not eggs. So said chicken that he created would hav then laid an egg.

It's a paradox.

i disagree. how did those two animals get there? did they come from two other animals?

Also, dinosaurs were laying eggs way before chicken were.

i have this giant debate with my friends all of the time but they think its the other way. So to those people..... HA!!

c

!

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

Biology doesn't work like that. If they are two different breeds, they will be sexually incompatible with each other. If they did breed, their offspring would be sterile, thus no hybrid to continue the population. Chickens didn't magically appear, evoloution takes millions of years.

@Ezio Fuckin' magnets, how do they work? Biology doesn't work like that. If they are two different breeds, they will...

op's point isn't really that two different species came together. he's saying that some sort of creature laid an egg and out popped a chicken. it had to have been mutant. and will someone please explain to me where they think that the chicken came from?? i don't get it.. it couldn't have just came from nowhere. that's why i think the egg came first..

An egg cannot incubate itself. The egg would never hatch and there would be no chicken in existence. Therefore, the chicken came first.

@An egg cannot incubate itself. The egg would never hatch and there would be no chicken in existence. Therefore, the...

the couldve just been in a really warm place. duh. people grow chickens all the time and people dont sit on chicken eggs...they use an incubator.

some other sort of animal could have incubated it too. or like totallyawesomeginger (awesome username by the way) said, it could've been a warm place.

The chicken came first, God made all the animals and then they multiplied.

jus' sayin chjickens were around for a long time and never laid eggs. chickenes came first.

chicken. some British research group fgured it out. google it.

Supposedly, the answer to this is in the bible somewhere.

@the bible: a book of lies

I never said I believed it, but of you google it it tells you where it is in the bible.

Chicken. Definitely. The chicken had to lay the egg at some point.

@Operator_X Chicken. Definitely. The chicken had to lay the egg at some point.

Yes, but the chicken had to come from an egg, so that's why it's all a big question.

God didn't put eggs on Earth, He put chickens. End of discussion