+734

You feel kinda sorry for people who are home schooled, amirite?

Chromanas avatar Education
3 48
The voters have decided that Chromana is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm homeschooled and I'm pretty sure I don't have impaired social skills, nor am I missing out on anything. Granted, I'm only being homeschooled for a year because my last school fucked up my transcript and I'm missing four credits (making it so that I'd be two grades lower than my actual year). But still. I've met alot of people who are either currently homeschooled, or have been in the past. The only ones that I truly do feel bad for are the super Christian ones. The way they're brought up is just.. wrong.

kackys avatar kacky Yeah You Are 0Reply
@kacky who are you to say the way someone decides to bring up their child is wrong?

no, the fact that the people i know are from the deep south that are super christian and homeschooled know nothing about the world. it's just sad. i didn't mean anything mean by it. and not wrong as in, a mistake. wrong as in, i feel bad for them. that's it.

Actually, doing algebra in my pajamas while eating breakfast cereal sounds pretty chill to me.

@SalientK Actually, doing algebra in my pajamas while eating breakfast cereal sounds pretty chill to me.

Nah man, working and relaxing in the same place gets depressing. That's why at university lots of people go to the library to work instead of just staying in their room. That's also one of the problems from working from home (later in life). It makes it harder to split your work and leisure time.

Chromanas avatar Chromana Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Chromana Nah man, working and relaxing in the same place gets depressing. That's why at university lots of people go to the...

Oh, I've actually never thought of it that way. Still, I think I'd be willing to give that up just to be able to sleep in every day. I'm an the antithesis of a morning person. Besides, it's not like I can't just go outside. :P

I'm really socially inept, but I couldn't imagine being cooped up in a house, learning.

My boyfriend is homeschooled and he has more friends than i do.

@wats he doin with a loser like you then?

Who pissed in your cheerios today?

I love school. I couldn't imagine being homeschooled at all.

I've been home-schooled my whole life and I'm heading to early college in three weeks. It's scary as shit but I just don't like home-school anymore. It kind of depends on the person too, some kids would just be better off at home having a parent teach them, and other kids would be better off having competition in a public school with others, like me.

Trazzzs avatar Trazzz Yeah You Are +1Reply

I disagree completely, i'm homeschooled and i have friends of all ages and i've never had an argument with them. And you are not cooped up in your house all day learning.... actually i spend about 2 hours a day only on school work and the rest i get to do what i want. I get to focuss on what i want to do.... and were not socially awkward my friends are more mature then most of the people that go to school (that i know). So get to know a homeschooler before you judge.

@I disagree completely, i'm homeschooled and i have friends of all ages and i've never had an argument with them...

Doesn't sound like you're learning a whole lot to me then. Only 2 hours of work? Even if you claim that the actual education per hour is better, 2 hours compared to 6 or 7 hours a day (that's incl. hw) just isn't good enough.

As a person who's homeschooled, it's not that your parents teach you (at least for me, anyway). They have virtual schools and you take online courses here in Florida.

..... Prom would be awkward.

Why would you? If your talking about the social aspect, most normal homeschooled kid has a ton of friends. :)

@Why would you? If your talking about the social aspect, most normal homeschooled kid has a ton of friends. :)

I'm not gonna lie, most of the home schooled kids I know have impaired social skills to some degree.

@wobbuffet I'm not gonna lie, most of the home schooled kids I know have impaired social skills to some degree.

I was home schooled for all of middle school and i'm completely fine. It was awesome, 3-4 hour days were great. Then i went back to a public school for high school and had no trouble adjusting....although i have some friends who were home schooled who did have a lot of trouble and have no social lives now.

Hear hear..... to the reply.... i don't know one homeschooler who cannot make friends.... because homeschoolers don't have cliques or groups or ranks or anything like that... age doesn't even matter. I went to a "party" (homeschoolers) we played sardines played chubby bunnies and the age range went from 12-18 yrs and we had the time of our lifes... i think the whole judment on homeschoolers has been falsly made.

Sure, they can have friends I guess (although I don't know any home schooled people). It's just that they would miss out on loads of school events and clubs, I just don't see it as being as fun. I got loads out of going to a school, from awesome school trips and music tours around Europe to inter-house events (yes, like in Harry Potter) like the music and drama competitions.
So, in terms of social stuff, they are disadvantaged.

Chromanas avatar Chromana Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Chromana Sure, they can have friends I guess (although I don't know any home schooled people). It's just that they would...

Honestly I've always found school clubs and the like to be pretty lame. Except for some sports teams at certain schools, most of them are pretty half-assed at the schools that I've attended.

@SalientK Honestly I've always found school clubs and the like to be pretty lame. Except for some sports teams at certain...

Well maybe schools in America suck for social things as well as education. Maybe that's why some kids choose to be home schooled over there. I haven't ever heard of anyone over here being home schooled.

@Chromana Well maybe schools in America suck for social things as well as education. Maybe that's why some kids choose to be...

I feel bad for schooled kids haveing to go to school for 7hours a day 5 days a week, with mean teachers and lots of homework. I homeschool and I do about 4 hours a day (at the most) and still do the same finel exam and get pretty high marks. And YES i do have a lot of great freinds and have a better socail life then most school kids.

@I feel bad for schooled kids haveing to go to school for 7hours a day 5 days a week, with mean teachers and lots of...

yes i see that homeschooling is working out very well for you...you're spelling is impeccable...

Maybe. I mean, all the funding seems to go to the sports teams, which are themselves sometimes half-assed. (Ex: When planning the building for my school, they actually had to make all of the hallways 20% slimmer just so that they could have an elaborate football field.) Everyone else just has to work with the scraps or come up with the funds themselves, and nobody really seems to have any focus or really care at all.

And where do you live, anyway?

@SalientK Maybe. I mean, all the funding seems to go to the sports teams, which are themselves sometimes half-assed. (Ex:...

Check my profile. UK.
In the cheesy American TV shows you always see the "jocks" being given A grades just because they do sport or something. Does that shit really happen? That seems so alien and backwards.

@Chromana Check my profile. UK. In the cheesy American TV shows you always see the "jocks" being given A grades just because...

Depends on the teacher, I guess. My old history teacher was also a coach, so he gave the players a little bit of slack, but he was also a very intelligent man so he held them up to at least the minimum standard. But no, it's not as dramatic as "OMG, wow! A whole 3 paragraph essay! Here's an A!"

I'm homeschooled just so you know... But it's not true that we don't get to go on field trips and stuff, we (with my group anyways) we have a ph-ed class once a week and tennis lesson in the fall and spring and fieldtrips organized almost weekly and art or science classes you can take... an many more.

I'm home schooled and i know alot of other home schoolers and there all pretty awesome. i dont see any difference between home schoolers and public schoolers. but there are some home schoolers that i do feel sorry for cough The duggers cough

Being homeschooled does not mean you sit in your pajamas all day and never leave the house! I was homeschooled until high school, and I've always had friends, and I'd say my social skills are better than many people who've been to school their whole lives. My average this year was 94%, so I'd say I had a decent education. Homeschooling was just a huge window of oportunity for me, filled with positive experiences. People actually care about YOU, and don't force schoolwork down your throat.

Being home schooled? Eww, you miss all the fun going around at school, and the rumors and everything, it's just soo freaking cool, it's not that I love school or anything, but without me 'learning' within a group, I'd be fucked.

@Being home schooled? Eww, you miss all the fun going around at school, and the rumors and everything, it's just soo...

Ya, i was homeschooled for middle school. It wasn't as bad as it sounds because you don't actually really know what you're missing at the time.

Im homeschooled, and i have friends, and social skills like everyone else....some of my other homeschooled friends are actually quite popular and have a truck load of friends as well....so dont feel bad for us:).

And also, ive noticed (from the people i know) homeschooled kids can make friends with all types of people, older, younger, same age, different "cliques" and whatnot.

No way. The homeschooled kids I know are awesomely happy :).

I've been homeschooled sence kindergarden, and about two years ago, I joined an online public school. I've been happy with both, and my friends rock. I'm very happy