-4

If life forms are too complicated to exist by chance, surely something as complicated as God should have an even lower chance of existing, amirite?

0 17
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

if you put no way whats your actual argument against this

@THE BIBLE SAYS SO THUMP THUMP

books say a lot of things that aren't true

@if you put no way whats your actual argument against this

If lifeforms are too complicated to exist by chance, something must be in charge of it.

Maybe God isn't a biological being with a slowly failing body that has constant needs.

@Maybe God isn't a biological being with a slowly failing body that has constant needs.

You could use that same argument to support the existence of all the gods of ancient greece, leprechauns, ghosts, tree spirits, etc. Why is there only one god?

@You could use that same argument to support the existence of all the gods of ancient greece, leprechauns, ghosts...

Maybe there is and maybe there isn't. I know these things can't be proven. That's why Christianity is formed from faith. If I'm wrong, so what? If I'm right, I spend eternity in Heaven. I'm not trying to be a Bible thumper or try to convert anyone, I'm just telling you what's logical to me.

@Maybe there is and maybe there isn't. I know these things can't be proven. That's why Christianity is formed from...

OK, but blind faith can be extremely harmful. Most of the wars throughout history have been fought to reclaim 'holy' sites from 'infidels'. Witness the wars of Islamic expansion, the Crusades, the unending conflict in Israel, etc. The belief that Jews were responsible for the death of Christ (a central teaching of the Catholic church during the middle ages) was responsible for the anti-semitism that led to the Holocaust. European imperialism and slavery were justified on the basis that non-whites were inferior in that they 'bore the mark of Caine.' In the absence of any evidence confirming or denying a belief, you have to go with what's best for the welfare of the world. And clearly religion isn't it. (Sorry if this is TL;DR).

I think there isn't a legitimate argument for or against God, so I'm agnostic. You can't prove a negative. Stick with logic, people.

Is it wrong that I don't care?

You are very much contradicting yourself. By saying that life is too complicated to exist by chance, you are saying that it wouldn't develop and exist by itself. Some more powerful being had to have created it all.

@chocolatecakeisbad You are very much contradicting yourself. By saying that life is too complicated to exist by chance, you are...

Not really. The original poster was just making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of creationism, and not necessarily asserting that life forms cannot come into existence by chance. Read up on abiogenesis, which explains how amino acids and cell structures spontaneously form as a consequence of the basic chemical properties of their constituent parts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
Or just take a freshman college class in Biology.

@Not really. The original poster was just making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of creationism, and not...

I'm certainly not disagreeing with the fact that life was formed first by basic elements coming together into chemicals and slowly combining to form functioning life. I'm just saying that God made all of that happen.

@i don't listen to anyone who believes chocolate cake is bad.

Actually I enjoy chocolate cake very much, and wanted my name to be chocolatecakeisgood. Unfortunately, I for some reason was unable to sign on after I made it, and made this one instead because obviously the site was upset about my opinion about chocolate cake

notice i started that with "if". i was contradicting a religious argument, with their own argument. you seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee