-24

French is better than Spanish, amirite?

hunters avatar
3 52
The voters have decided that hunter is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

C'EST VRAI!

When you speak French you sound sophisticated, while when you speak Spanish you sound like a questionable food vendor.

Depends on where you live.

Francais, C'est la vie!
Je m'excuse, je suis pas bon a la francais, C'est just ma premier annee de apprendrais la francais :'D

jraaeys avatar jraaey Yeah You Are +7Reply
@DragonTicklee Quelle année?

Je suis en 9ieme annee, et je etudie la "basic french" :')

jraaeys avatar jraaey Yeah You Are 0Reply
@jraaey Je suis en 9ieme annee, et je etudie la "basic french" :')

Vraiment? Je suis aussi en la 9e année et j'ai étudié le français depuis la 4e année.

Vous êtes aussi canadienne, non?

DragonTicklees avatar DragonTicklee Yeah You Are -2Reply
@PinkSponge Je suis parle français un peu.

take out the suis, because you just said "i am speak french a little"

"je parle francais" would've been fine.

Hell yeaah :D Más cuando tu lengua natal es el español xD

No offense or anything, I just can't stand the sound of the Spanish language. It really bugs me for some reason, and French just sounds so much better. I might just be biased because I've been taking French for over six years....
This is somewhat unrelated, but I think German sounds really cool :D

Oui, sans dout!

FlyingMintBunnys avatar FlyingMintBunny Yeah You Are +3Reply

French was really hard for me to learn. Maybe because my teacher was having surgery and was out the entire semester so all we did was color...tres bien.

Chells avatar Chell No Way +3Reply

Español por la victoria, hijos de puta!

Mais le Français... est si belle!

Sed, latina optima est.

@monstrosity Mais le Français... est si belle! Sed, latina optima est.

"Le Français" is masculine (hence "le" instead of "la") ;
"beau" is the masculine for "belle".
Therefore you should say : "le Français est si beau".

That said, Latin is very good, but difficult... few are those who can really understand it, let alone speak it.

hugos avatar hugo Yeah You Are 0Reply
@hugo "Le Français" is masculine (hence "le" instead of "la") ; "beau" is the masculine for "belle". Therefore you...

It's a dead language, so you don't have to speak it. But I love that I'm translating Vergil's Aeneid in class rather than doing worksheets like my friends in other language classes. I find that Latin is helpful in understanding English, my native language, which isn't even technically derived from Latin.

@Wunderscore It's a dead language, so you don't have to speak it. But I love that I'm translating Vergil's Aeneid in class...

I know very well it is a dead language, anyways you don't have to speak any language (many people do just fine with their native one).
But understanding truly the language means being actually able to use it (that's what I meant when I said "speak it"), let alone vocabulary that requires to be known by heart.
I studied it very shortly, it is indeed interesting, but requires a lot if work.
While the grammar is quite different, the vocabulary certainly helps to understand words of Latin origin. Especially in French, where a great number of words is from Latin of course, and where new/specialised words are being formed from either Greek or Latin roots.

hugos avatar hugo Yeah You Are 0Reply

Well, French sounds sexier, but spanish is usually more useful.

@nannerruth Well, French sounds sexier, but spanish is usually more useful.

Depends on where you live. Spanish would be more useful in the US but in Europe and Canada French would be.

DragonTicklees avatar DragonTicklee Yeah You Are +17Reply
@1481071

I'm not. The reason why I said that is that in the European Union it's third only to English and German for languages people state they can understand and speak.

DragonTicklees avatar DragonTicklee Yeah You Are +2Reply

I speak both and prefer spanish.

Sergs avatar Serg No Way +2Reply

I don't think any language is "better" than another, but French would be more useful to me than Spanish.

je le crois, mais beaucoup des gens ne fait pas

2Infinitys avatar 2Infinity Yeah You Are 0Reply

I speak both, but I prefer French for sure.

The reason a lot of people think Spanish sounds bad is because they've only heard it from Mexican construction workers. It's kind of like judging English by ghettospeak.

But seriously, people who speak French sound like they have a cold.

@Fluoxetine The reason a lot of people think Spanish sounds bad is because they've only heard it from Mexican construction...

"But seriously, people who speak French sound like they have a cold."

I noticed USAmericans (especially women) speak "trough the nose", what French don't do (except for nasal sounds of course). That could be why we sound like we have obstructed nasal cavities to you ?

hugos avatar hugo Yeah You Are 0Reply

French pronunciation seems to be difficult for English-speakers, since I cannot help smiling when I hear one trying.

On the other hand, about a half of English words come from French (Norman, precisely), and a large number of words are the same in both languages, except for the pronounciation obviously.

Unlike English, where pronounciation (of the vowels) is highly irregular, you can know the pronounciation of a written text in French if you know the (many) rules.
On the other hand if you try to guess the writing of a heard sentence... you're going to have the hardest time. Actually it is not rare for the "internet generation" not to know how to write their own language properly.

As for conjugation, it is painful if you're used to English, but the same goes for Spanish or German.

hugos avatar hugo Yeah You Are 0Reply
@hugo French pronunciation seems to be difficult for English-speakers, since I cannot help smiling when I hear one...

You implied earlier that Latin wasn't practical, and go on to say, here, that half of the English words come from French. 29% of the modern English language is of French origin, and 29% of the modern English language is of Latin origin. Also, French is directly derived from Latin.

@Wunderscore You implied earlier that Latin wasn't practical, and go on to say, here, that half of the English words come from...

"You implied earlier that Latin wasn't practical, and go on to say, here, that half of the English words come from French."
I don't see a contradiction here.
And I am quite aware of that the French descends from Latin, for I speak it.

Anyways I probably got throwing figures too quickly, I don't really know which part is of direct French descendance.
Then, yours may be right, where did you find it ?

hugos avatar hugo Yeah You Are 0Reply
@hugo "You implied earlier that Latin wasn't practical, and go on to say, here, that half of the English words come from...

Though Latin may not be directly practical, learning it can aid a person in the learning of a variety of other languages, making it fairly practical. If that makes any sense whatsoever.
I was just making sure; just because you, or anyone, speak a language doesn't mean that you know about its roots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi...h_PieChart.svg

Langue d'oïl, including French and Old Norman: 28.3%
Latin, including modern scientific and technical Latin: 28.24%

Though now what I'm looking more thoroughly, there are experts who say that the percentage is 18, 29, or 50 percent.

@Wunderscore Though Latin may not be directly practical, learning it can aid a person in the learning of a variety of other...

What I said in my above comment is : "Latin is very good, but difficult". Of course it helps understanding the origin of a lot of words in many languages, couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the link, the different sources are contradictory indeed, that's why I thought it was about a half.

hugos avatar hugo Yeah You Are 0Reply

French people usually are like Italians: full of themselves. Uh la la

I'm contemplating whether or not this post is supposed to be trolling or not. By saying, language x is better than language y, you do realize that it's thinking like THIS, is better than thinking like THAT. I mean, it's perspective and culture no? Many exist and many more are yet to come. We seriously can't agree with this, right?

No language is better than another, there is only more or less prominence; and even that does not make one better than the other.

Bien sur Que oui

maroc256s avatar maroc256 Yeah You Are -1Reply

I don't speak either, but I have to say Spanish since I'm half PR.

Shuns avatar Shun No Way -2Reply

We're all equal <3333

@1481053

Greek all the way!