45 222

We don't know until we open the box.

Considering that experiment took place in 1935, Schrodinger's cat would be 321 years old in human years.

Schroedinger's cat YYA'd, so it looks like the experiment worked.

Pics or it's alive.

i would say yeah you are, but the score is perfect zero

@laika i would say yeah you are, but the score is perfect zero

Just like you! Just kidding, though. You are an outstanding individual, and I am proud to reply to your comments.

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +8Reply

Not anymore. I just observed it. It's just alive now.

Totobeans avatar Totobean No Way +25Reply
@Totobean Not anymore. I just observed it. It's just alive now.

Schrodinger's is an experiment where a cat and a deadly chemical are locked together. The chemical can kill the cat. But, in theory the cat is is alive until the death is observed by an outside onlooker. So as long as the cat is not observed in the box with a deadly poison, the cat can be either alive or dead, hence no true answer.

ashkirs avatar ashkir No Way +76Reply
@ashkir Schrodinger's is an experiment where a cat and a deadly chemical are locked together. The chemical can kill the...

And you just explained that to me, who CLEARLY from what I said am aware of the experiment and what it entails because...?

Totobeans avatar Totobean No Way +53Reply
@1025199

But the experiment shows that the cat is both dead and alive at the same time, so technically the correct answer to this post is YYA

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are +47Reply
@1025322

How did you know?!!

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are +12Reply
@1025322

Haha you never cease to piss someone off

cheshire_cats avatar cheshire_cat Yeah You Are +11Reply
@1025199

I didn't know what the post was about until he explained so not all of us were aware.

@1048440

What? are you talking to me?

cheshire_cats avatar cheshire_cat Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1048464

Dude stop overusing the word "nigga" okay? You sound like an idiot and I don't apreciat being called that. Just because you say it all the time doesn't make you a badass. Here's some advise, buy a dictionary and learn something and maybe you won't sound like such an idiotic asshole "nigga"

cheshire_cats avatar cheshire_cat Yeah You Are +7Reply
@cheshire_cat Dude stop overusing the word "nigga" okay? You sound like an idiot and I don't apreciat being called that. Just...

You can't say someone sounds like an idiot and rape the spelling of a word. I apreciat your effort though.

Rosss avatar Ross No Way +21Reply
@Ross You can't say someone sounds like an idiot and rape the spelling of a word. I apreciat your effort though.

I was talking about him sounding like an idiot because he says nigger too much. It just makes him sound stupid

cheshire_cats avatar cheshire_cat Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1048528

... negro?

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1048528

*Appreciate

NoSoapRadios avatar NoSoapRadio Yeah You Are +5Reply

No it's that the cat is neither alive nor dead. It's in a limbo state. So basically it's a zombie cat until you open the box.

No, a cat, along with a flask containing a poison and a radioactive source, is placed in a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence. If an internal Geiger counter detects radiation, the flask is shattered, releasing the poison that kills the cat. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics implies that after a while, the cat is simultaneously alive and dead. Yet, when we look in the box, we see the cat either alive or dead, not both alive and dead.

pies avatar pie No Way +7Reply
@Butts You lose the internet.

I would die if I lost the internet... http://www.m0ar.org/4941

Dwights avatar Dwight Yeah You Are +48Reply
@TalkingRice dude wtf virus alert much?

dude im sorry that i thought I could post a funny video to lighten up a heated debate, and im sorry that you will never have a chance with that hawt wasabi

Dwights avatar Dwight Yeah You Are +19Reply
@1048341

Is that a pear or an ovary?

Dwights avatar Dwight Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Butts You lose the internet.

Lol at both your replies to my comments.

Even if the cat wasn't killed by the poison, it would still be dead, especially after 76 years...

@Friday_Night_Lights Even if the cat wasn't killed by the poison, it would still be dead, especially after 76 years...

Your observation has been noted and will be given a nod of acknowledgement and slight respect. nod

Totobeans avatar Totobean No Way +10Reply

If it exists in 2 states, the dead cat is dead, but the cat itself doesn't specify either states or tense that references what point the experiment is in.

y smilie Nerdy POTD. This is what we like to see.

i only get this because of the big bang theory

@i only get this because of the big bang theory

I only get this because of ashkir.

ultispys avatar ultispy Yeah You Are +11Reply

I get this because of Hank Green! (Or maybe it was John who talked about it? I'm too lazy to look right now!)

@1034153

lol not me

Nobody...move...a vote..

Jonesys avatar Jonesy Yeah You Are +18Reply
@Jonesy Nobody...move...a vote..

We should keep trying to balance it!

@StickCaveman We should keep trying to balance it!

Exactly. I've rebalanced it three times now lol.

Jonesys avatar Jonesy Yeah You Are 0Reply

One: put poison in a box.
Two: put yo cat in the box!
Three: make her open the box, and that's the way you do it!

Rosss avatar Ross No Way +18Reply

Dear people: there was no "experiment." It was a "thought" experiment. Nobody actually put a cat in a box with a radioactive chemical. It wasn't like somebody tried this and this was the results, it's that this is what the theory of the time (and the current theory) logically implied. This was just an idea that Schroedinger had when he was looking at the pitfalls of his theory.

jmites avatar jmite Yeah You Are +16Reply
Rosss avatar Ross No Way -5Reply
@1048875

What the heck is wrong with you? I will now proceed to denote your choice of phrasing while ruining mine by the same means, you cunt.

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1017208

That one was already POTD

Maxs avatar Max No Way 0Reply
@1017208

I'd say this is more of an opinion amirite, while that one is a nerd joke.

@1017273

Eh, I disagree.

@I'd say this is more of an opinion amirite, while that one is a nerd joke.

The fact that this post talks about schrodinger's cat makes it nerdy. We're all nerds now.

"When I hear about Schroedinger's cat, I reach for my gun."
-Stephen Hawking

jmites avatar jmite Yeah You Are +14Reply

What's it been, like 4 days without a Jmayrod POTD? Forget the cat, i think Jmayrod is dead

donpatchs avatar donpatch No Way +11Reply

...and alive.

The cat only dies as soon as you open the box.

And you didn't open the box, did you?

Because if you did, we're out to get you.

@Alyssa Alternately, the cat is only alive as soon as you open the box. So we do want to open the box?

If we open the box after all this time and it's alive, that's one pissed off cat. If not, then it probably smells like shit.

I think it should stay closed.

I don't understand the post at all, but i keep changing my vote just to keep it at 0 y smilie

andylovesmcfcs avatar andylovesmcfc Yeah You Are +7Reply

Whenever I vote its either +1 or -1... this is a close call

Jonesys avatar Jonesy Yeah You Are +6Reply

Fucking cats, how do they work.

Keep it even

garrettruskamps avatar garrettruskamp Yeah You Are +5Reply

This is the first time Ive seen a POTD that was perfectly balanced...lol

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +5Reply

Omg. The cat is dead. You observing it will make no difference. The color of your eyes doesn't change whether someone is there to see them or not. A tree still makes a sound when it falls...etc

@Omg. The cat is dead. You observing it will make no difference. The color of your eyes doesn't change whether...

Schrodinger's cat isn't about the cat not being dead until you observe it, you don't KNOW if the cat is dead because there's an equal chance of it living and dying, according to the experiment. So the cat could be alive, cat could be dead. Until we know, the cat is both alive and dead. The experiment doesn't for sure kill the cat.

The tree doesn't make a sound because sound is something perceived by animals, and if an animal isn't around to perceive it, it doesn't exist.

@OvergrownTurkey The tree doesn't make a sound because sound is something perceived by animals, and if an animal isn't around to...

Yet it still produces soundwaves and vibrations. You don't have to be around to percieve it.

@Yet it still produces soundwaves and vibrations. You don't have to be around to percieve it.

But if there isn't any ears to convert it to sound, it'll just be waves on energy that will eventually get lost

adams avatar adam Yeah You Are +8Reply

Prove it. How do you know that eye colour doesn't change when you close your eyes?

so would smelling decomp be considered observing death? because if so this limbo state could only last like a week at most.

I just googled Schrodinger's cat because I wasn't sure what it was all about, and now my mind is full of fuck.

does the perfect zero score add to the post?

mvonny21s avatar mvonny21 Yeah You Are +4Reply

i like how even though this post is made as part of a pair, everyone says its dead lolol

Haha I love that it's staying near even. It's neat.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1048455

Why do you feel the need to be a fuck? It's uncalled for.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1048820

No, you sound rude because that's what you're being. Which as I said before is uncalled for. I made a simple statement and you want to be an asshole about it.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1049326

Cause it's just so damn fun.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1049342

No 'nigga'.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1049349

Do you have all rights reserved? If not get over it.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1049352

Can you prove it?

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1049360

Well good night 'nigga'! Sweet dreams.

Tiras avatar Tira Yeah You Are +1Reply

Is Schrodinger's dog fine?

@1048285

Or it's a zombie...

@Or it's a zombie...

That is technically the same thing as being dead. Zombies are just reanimated dead.

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +1Reply

It's both dead and alive until we open the box.

@1048435

True, but while "dead and alive" includes "dead", "and" implies an intersection is in process. That means that the cat must be both dead AND alive simultaneously, otherwise the cat is neither dead nor alive.

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1049457

If something is two things, how could it possibly be neither? Obviously you misinterpreted my comment.

In math, AND is used to show where intervals intersect (or intercept), and the intervals show that the domain may only exist where the intervals overlap, so you had to pick where the domain carries both elements or neither.

OR, on the other hand, represents unions between intervals. With unions, you may use any value in the domain from either interval, whether separate or together.

Of course something being two things doesn't mean the something can be neither. That would make no sense. I was saying that you noted an interception, so while your interval included dead, the cat would only exist in while it was both dead and alive at the same time.

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1051293

I am just saying the cat is both dead and alive because that is what you noted. I agree that death is included, but it cannot be used alone because of the interception. I guess what you said aboot them both cancelling out makes sense, two.

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are -2Reply
@1048435

Yea and I'm pretty sure that between death and life, death is the dominant trait..

i think this cat is just a fucking zombie

A neutral POTD?!?! What :O

@KoollooK9999 A neutral POTD?!?! What :O

Yes, people liked and not liked it

adams avatar adam Yeah You Are +7Reply
@KoollooK9999 Yeah, I know what neutral means

I was trying to carry on the Schrodinger joke
-_-

adams avatar adam Yeah You Are +6Reply
@adam I was trying to carry on the Schrodinger joke -_-

I have absolutely no idea what the post is about

....Didn't we have a POTD very similar to this a while back? I can't remember, but I know it had to do with Schrodinger's cat.

bluegoddesss avatar bluegoddess Yeah You Are +2Reply

This is perfect right now, an exact balance. A POTD thats on 0!

Either it's dead or it's 76 years old by now.

iSporks avatar iSpork Yeah You Are +2Reply

But once you know that, it's also alive

There's no proof it's dead!

The cat is alive

@1049507

I guess i'll just have to open the box

It's also alive...

It's awesome that the score is balanced.

@1048343

But there's no real evidence. That's what this experiment is about. It could be dead in theory, but it isn't TRULY dead until we see it to be dead.

It's alive. I believe~

He's been in there a long time, like 50 years. We should probably observe him.

@1048406

Yea, it is balanced, unlike Fox News, amirite?

All I want to say from this post is...What's in the box?!

soberlikekeshas avatar soberlikekesha Yeah You Are 0Reply

He would've starved by now

So if its both/not alive and/or dead, and its nowhere to be seen, wouldn't it truely be M.I.A.?

Loving the symmetry of yya and nw. Hardeehar.

....Someone ruined it.

I loved how its 0

Hello and welcome to the most controversial page.

JghRockss avatar JghRocks Yeah You Are 0Reply

When I got to this it was exactly equal and the net vote was 0 and I voted yya and got it off balance and now I feel like a dick :( I should have left it alone!!!! D: someone fixx itt

I feel bad for the poor cat.

Rockys avatar Rocky No Way 0Reply

he's obviously dead, because he's been in that box for years

Did anyone watch the new episode of Futurama, "Law & Oracle"?

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's both dead and alive, it's called a superposition. Quit fallin' asleep in physics class, kid.

TonyHs avatar TonyH No Way 0Reply

What is interesting about Schrodinger's cat is that the very concept of it being dead and alive is entirely scientific. If you were to drop a phone face-first on a concrete sidewalk, you would not know if it was cracked or perfect fine. The only way to know is to check. However, before knowing the true outcome, scientists safely assume that it is indeed both cracked and perfectly fine to avoid making assumptions that have no value. If there is REALLY no way to tell whether it is one way or the other until you see it, scientists assume it is both. That is why Schrödinger's cat is considered dead & alive. Therefore, Schrödinger's cat IS dead...but it's also alive.

redmask38s avatar redmask38 Yeah You Are 0Reply

After being trapped in that box for so long it's definitely deceased.

DrYess avatar DrYes Yeah You Are 0Reply

Becouse we cant see in the box to see if the atom has decayed so the cat is equal parts dead and alive

IF he had a cat ... it is, since they don't live this long.

Walt_OReaguns avatar Walt_OReagun Yeah You Are 0Reply

hmm

Darkhounds avatar Darkhound Yeah You Are 0Reply

I just started a report and I was reserching that XD XD XD

Kuns avatar Kun Yeah You Are -1Reply

Let's test the experiment on totobean.

can someone explain this to me?

"I'm a cowboy; on a steel horse I ride. I'm wanted dead or alive."
-- Bon Jovi, 1986

I have no clue who the person is XD. At first I thought it was Arnold long name but spelled wrong.

WHY IS THIS +3?! angry smilie

Rockys avatar Rocky No Way -2Reply

I'm so confused.

They should put a video camera in the box and take it out after it is opened...

@DontJudge Yeah, but then you open the box...

We'll run the cords out of the box for a live feed.

@StickCaveman We'll run the cords out of the box for a live feed.

But then you're observing it which is the whole point in the experiment; if something isn't being observed, you can not prove whether it exists (is a live) or does not exist (is dead).

Well, following that logic, we don't know if it's a cat at all.

@AddyTheAwesome Well, following that logic, we don't know if it's a cat at all.

you put the cat in the box so you know. i dont get it though. the words "and" and "or" cannot be used interchangeably. the cat is either alive or dead, not alive and dead. and at first i thought it was the vile doesnt open untill you open the door so with that evidence you know its dead but you wouldnt be able to see thats its not dead while its in the box. but thats not what it was.

@fuckoffwhore you put the cat in the box so you know. i dont get it though. the words "and" and "or" cannot be used...

It's a matter of where you are. Outside of the box, since the chance it's dead or alive is equal, it's considered to be both. However within the box the cat is most certainly one of the two.

@SchrodingersCat It's a matter of where you are. Outside of the box, since the chance it's dead or alive is equal, it's considered...

i know but that deoesnt make sense to me, just cuz you dont know if its alive or dead doesnt make it both it means its alive or dead and you just dont know.

@fuckoffwhore i know but that deoesnt make sense to me, just cuz you dont know if its alive or dead doesnt make it both it means...

In real life, that is true. The cat is bound by the rules of quantum physics, because the point of the experiment is to show people how stupid quantum physics is in real life.

i dont get it. who is schrodinger

@1048428

@1048428 (Anthony): sorry for being like, retarded. i just dont watch that show.

what's schrodinger's cat?

I pressed yeah you are to make it un-even :coolf:

cnimris avatar cnimri Yeah You Are -5Reply

Haha the yes and no are at the same number!

this doesn't deserve to be POTD.

@TIDDLYWINKS this doesn't deserve to be POTD.

This post signifies everything amirite is about. It's a great POTD.

Bretts avatar Brett No Way +32Reply
Anonymous