-53

Marching band is not a sport, amirite?

wmstephaniefhs avatar
0 36
The voters have decided that wmstephaniefh is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's competitive, and it takes a lot of strength and coordination. How is it not a sport?

It's a debatable, like how some people argue whether dance is a sport or not. Some people classify a sport as 2 teams against each other, with no rehearsing
Oh, and while y'all think band isn't that athletic, it may not be as terribly hard as football or field hockey (I do give you guys that), it takes a LOT of skill and coordination to march (it's not walking, there's a specific way to do it) and play music. MY band conditions in the Texas heat everyday, for about 3 hours. It depends on the director and how well the band is willing to work together.
Don't even get me started on Drum Core in the highschool(:

I'm in band, and for conditioning, we do 4 laps around the school (that's a little over 2 miles) then an hour of pushups, crunches, planks, stretching, etc. THEN we start on drill. It may not classify as a sport (depending on your definition), but it is DEFINIETLY physical. At least at my school

(To the person who posted this) have you ever been in marching band? If you haven't then you have no right to talk.

I believe you mean to say you quit because you couldn't handle it.

I'm in marching band. We practice marching everyday from eight to noon or four to eight, when school starts. Can you march for eight minutes straight? I don't think so. You have to firm up all of your muscles in your legs and your core. And, on top of that, you have to play music and never lose the beat. It's a sport.People who say they've tried and quit probably just suck and weren't marching correctly.

At my school we begin each practice with about 2 miles on the track, we stretch, then run 2 more miles but with our instruments. THEN we do drill for about 4 hours. Everyday during band season.

Don't say it isn't a sport without trying it.

You act like your insults affect me. But I feel this battle goes to the band geeks. You were wrong. Goodbye.

it should be :

have you ever been at 3 a days? thats when you give it physically and mentally your all.

I'm not saying it ain't hard...my band is best in district and plays at the Saint Pattys Day Parade in NYC but it's no sport... I could handle it just fine thanks but it didn't give me the thrill I want from a physical activity and it runt help me keep in shape

wmstephaniefhs avatar wmstephaniefh Yeah You Are 0Reply
@wmstephaniefh I'm not saying it ain't hard...my band is best in district and plays at the Saint Pattys Day Parade in NYC but it's...

I totally agree, it's definitly not the same as playing a team sport (I loveee softball, and it's not the same as band, in the way it makes you think and such)
I wasn't really talking to you, I was mostly talking to the people that DON'T agree that it's physical. In this case it's not you(:
and that's so cool how your band plays at the st. pats day parade

Walking is nowhere near as tough as what college level athletes go through

@wmstephaniefh Walking is nowhere near as tough as what college level athletes go through

okay if you think marching is the same is walking your an idoit.

Wow three votes disagreeing...I'm so wrong :( oh btw you never said bitter....

And everyone is entitled to an opinion on this amirite not one opinion is wrong so shut the fuck up and go play your flute pansy

That means I'm entitled to my opinon also. Which means I have just as equal or a right to express it as you.

Except when you're being a douche about it.

What battle? The one where the bitter band geek proved he was a douche and band isn't a sport? You are correct

She.

He

Then explain why I got a p.e. credit for being in it.

@oboeflute Then explain why I got a p.e. credit for being in it.

Because your teachers feel bad you can't do anything athletic and don't want you to embarrass yourself?

@wmstephaniefh Because your teachers feel bad you can't do anything athletic and don't want you to embarrass yourself?

Oh really, can't do anything athletic huh? Then I guess that 6 hours of pt I do for JROTC raiders per week is nothing. Band just got me out of having to take the actual class.

@oboeflute Oh really, can't do anything athletic huh? Then I guess that 6 hours of pt I do for JROTC raiders per week is...

Hun. It's a joke, don't take it so seriously. I play hockey and me and my fiends bag on the band kids and they bag on us, it's not like serious. I was kidding.

But JROTC is pretty cool, I know a bunch of kids in that.

My band dances and puts on shows with the instruments, so the practice includes a few laps around the track to begin with, stretching, another couple laps, marching drills, playing through all the music, then we break for lunch. That takes about four hours, with music and marching bills at about three, and lunch for a half hour. Then we go back out, run through our music again, run through all the routines( literally, running, jumping, spinning, dancing), and go through drills again. You mess up, you run laps. Just like in most sports practices.

And while we're on that, I'm in sports AND band, and I can tell you that I sweat more during band then most of our kids do during practice for volleyball, basketball, or lacrosse.

It's basically the same..It's okay band nerds are always bitter I won't hold that against you

wmstephaniefhs avatar wmstephaniefh Yeah You Are -1Reply
@wmstephaniefh It's basically the same..It's okay band nerds are always bitter I won't hold that against you

bitter? Way to steal my insult. At least I can think of my own. And by the way by the number of votes. You aren't right, so stop acting like you are.

Yeah I can march for eight minutes straight. I can also sprint for ten minutes full speed and run for an unlimited amount of time because I'm conditioned properly.

Yeah - lol but allthey do is complain about the heat. I wouldn't care if I got that experience

wmstephaniefhs avatar wmstephaniefh Yeah You Are -2Reply
@wmstephaniefh Yeah I can march for eight minutes straight. I can also sprint for ten minutes full speed and run for an unlimited...

hmmm maybe the heat is an issue since people in band wear heavy wool pants and jackets and hats while exersizing.

Deffs, I live in Texas, where competition is FEIRCE, and most bands (even the best) will complain about heat at one point or another. You're a different story, since you've been in band and do a sport (an intense one at that) so you have the right to post something like this. It only annoys me when a person posts something, and haven't personally been on both sides of the spectrum.

I was freshman year but I quit for a real sport

wmstephaniefhs avatar wmstephaniefh Yeah You Are -4Reply

It's an activity. Not in the same catergory as basketball, football, or lacrosse. Once you do summer workouts, and 3 a days, then we'll talk

@It's an activity. Not in the same catergory as basketball, football, or lacrosse. Once you do summer workouts, and...

You've obviously never been to band camp. Now I don't know what three a days are, but I'm pretty sure nine hour rehearsals every day for a week are a lot more extreme.

I have tried it. It's not a sport....
I have no sympathy for marching band they have no clue what my hockey team goes through in tryouts alone

wmstephaniefhs avatar wmstephaniefh Yeah You Are -5Reply

How is it a sport? Video games are competitive and take a lot or coordination too. My field hockey team is up at the track running 6-10 miles a day while the band kids can't even do a lap.... They're tough

wmstephaniefhs avatar wmstephaniefh Yeah You Are -8Reply
@wmstephaniefh How is it a sport? Video games are competitive and take a lot or coordination too. My field hockey team is up at...

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the SEVEN FREAKING MILES I ran every day at band camp didn't count as laps. I freaking ran those with a badly sprained ankle. Yeah we're tougher than those bloody football players that cry when they trip.