+266

Whenever anyone refers to a slave most people think of colonial era black slave, but no one seems to remember chinese slaves, or indentured servants, etc. amirite?

ARShosannas avatar
3 9
The voters have decided that ARShosanna is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That's because a large majority of slaves were black. They consisted of a huge majority of the slave population after 1700.

And indentured servants are a whole other story. They were treated badly, but nowhere near as badly as the slaves were. Slaves were treated inhumanely, indentured servants at least had some freedoms.

I see a dimly lit man in chains... Not anyone of color.

Because they were the ones who complained of it back then. The others saw it as it was. A job.

Apathys avatar Apathy Yeah You Are 0Reply

or slaves in africa

That's cuz they don't matter

And indentured servants are.. well... indentured servants, not slaves.

@KickAss That's cuz they don't matter And indentured servants are.. well... indentured servants, not slaves.

Yes they were, the people they served had a system where you payed for rent, food and clothing. If you're an indentured servant, you're not getting payed. Therefore even after their time was up, they still owed their masters, and the only way to pay it back was to keep working. It was an endless cycle.

@Chewbanshee Yes they were, the people they served had a system where you payed for rent, food and clothing. If you're an...

There's a difference between slavery and indentured servitude, buddy. It might be so minute that you're missing the difference, but it is there.

@KickAss There's a difference between slavery and indentured servitude, buddy. It might be so minute that you're missing the...

I understand what you're saying. But the colonists in America cheated the indentured servants and evidently turned them into slaves.

@Chewbanshee I understand what you're saying. But the colonists in America cheated the indentured servants and evidently turned...

I do realize that, I mean they weren't a perfect society and there were people stuck in that situation forever, but there are also people who were released... and the difference is with slavery the slaves were there, because they had no option. But with being the indentured servant, you were there because the only other option is worse than being a servant.