+316

Considering words like "thine", "willest" and "fishmonger" aren't used a lot these days, Shakespeare would have a pretty hard time understanding English today, amirite?

5 11

They should bring back "fishmonger".

Zeerusts avatar Zeerust Yeah You Are +8Reply

If someone invents a time machine, they should bring back Shakespeare just so we can get revenge on him after all the confusion he caused us.

CapedCrusaders avatar CapedCrusader Yeah You Are +3Reply
@CapedCrusader If someone invents a time machine, they should bring back Shakespeare just so we can get revenge on him after all...

D: I love Shakespeare! I take acting classes that are nothing but Shakespeare and love them! It's fun to act because there's so much passion. And you can say funny words. Best line ever: "Mine eyes smell onions"

@D: I love Shakespeare! I take acting classes that are nothing but Shakespeare and love them! It's fun to act...

I agree that Shakespeare is great, but it takes the longest time to read and understand. It's a lot easier to see it acted out.

Although that is probably true, Shakespeare was making up words and phrases all the time when he was alive. His audience would have had a little trouble way back then. But that's what makes him such a great author, among other things.

Interestingly, Shakespeare and modern people speak the same language. From like 1400s and earlier was middle English. So there's really no reason you shouldn't understand eachother.