+410

Just because you don't believe in God doesn't make you a person of science. You have to research and understand evolution and Darwinism before you stand for it, otherwise you should just be considered agnostic. amirite?

4 65

Shut up. I don't have to research all of that just to know that I don't believe in God.

there aren't any requirements to being atheist beacuse its NOT A RELIGION

I hate how people assume that if you're atheist (or sometimes agnostic), that you automatically believe in evolution.

Maybe, I just don't understand or believe any of it. Stop catergorizing me.

There are so many things wrong with this post.
1. There are no requirements to beeing atheist, and you do not neccesarily agree with science, technically even a buddhist is an atheist because Buddha is not considered a god.
2. Agnosticism is not exsclusive of atheism/theism. No matter what you either have the belief of something or you don't: YouTube video thumbnail

@Rene_Magritte There are so many things wrong with this post. 1. There are no requirements to beeing atheist, and you do not...

YAY finally someone who won't have a major argument with me (about something they don't understand) or give me some kind of crap put-down when I say I am atheist but Buddhist..

@YAY finally someone who won't have a major argument with me (about something they don't understand) or give me some...

Thanks. It's because atheism has become the more popular term and a lot of people are confusing it with non-religion.

Atheist is not really a religion. To be atheist you don't need to know all about evolution either. To be an atheist you don't believe in god, simple as that.

I know plenty of people who don't completely understand their religion. It' shouldn't be different for atheists.

I believe OP meant that anyone arguing for atheism or religion should be educated on the subjects, which frankly the vast majority of people are not. There are always reasons behind why someone believes something, you can't just say you believe in either atheism or religion just because "you do". You must have a reason otherwise it would seem you're jumping on the bandwagon.

facepalm there are so many ignorant things about this post, it's hard to choose where to start. sigh

First of all, agnostic means you're still spiritual, but on the fence about what exactly you believe. That and atheist are not interchangable terms, so perhaps OP should do their own research before they post.

It's true you should learn about something before saying you believe in it, but this whole post is based on the false logic that atheists all believe everything science says. I am an atheist "into science", but I don't necessarily "believe" anything that isn't proven. I had to tear scrantoncity a new asshole over that the other day; you religious types throw around the idea of "belief" too lightly... probably because you're used to believing what you're told with no evidence. Saying I don't believe in the christian idea of creation does not automatically mean that I "believe" in the Big Bang Theory. I believe it what is proven, and I'm calm in the mystery o...

420Grrl +2Reply

... of what is not. I don't need to pretend I know where it all came from, why we're here, and what happens when it's over to live happily, and I feel sorry for people who do. Whether you choose to believe it or not, being religious closes your mind; I'd gladly accept any evidence of a god, look into it, and change what I believe based on it if it stood up to scrutiny. Can you religious types say the same thing about science?

420Grrl +2Reply

Wrong.

An agnostic is someone who believes that there may be a God but doesn't conform to any religion.

Any atheist does not believe in any form of God.

If someone says they're an atheist but doesn't reference science to prove their lack of belief, that doesn't make them agnostic. That makes them an idiot.

@monstrosity Wrong. An agnostic is someone who believes that there may be a God but doesn't conform to any religion. Any...

Well, OP is wrong, but you are also wrong. Agnosticism is not exclusive of atheism/theism.
No matter what you either have the belief of something or you don't: YouTube video thumbnail

@monstrosity I'm sorry, I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. :-

Agnosticism is not a third choice after atheism and theism, that's a common misconception. You either believe in a god or you don't.

@Rene_Magritte Agnosticism is not a third choice after atheism and theism, that's a common misconception. You either believe in a...

Um, no? Not everything in life is black and white. Belief isn't separated into GOD vs. NO GOD, just as morality isn't separated into WRONG vs. RIGHT. There's always a deeper story that complicates things.

Agnosticism is where you acknowledge that there may or may not be a God, but you can't be sure either way. There are various forms of agnosticism (agnostic atheism, agnostic theism, etc) but that's generally what agnosticism is.

@monstrosity Um, no? Not everything in life is black and white. Belief isn't separated into GOD vs. NO GOD, just as morality...

"There are various forms of agnosticism (agnostic atheism, agnostic theism, etc)" My point is that there is no "etc." in this case. You can be an agnostic atheist and an agnostic theist but you can't be "just an agnostic".
Let me explain it this way:I ask you "Do you believe a god exists?"
If you answer "no" you are an atheist. If you answer "yes" you are a theist. What do you have to answer to be agnostic (and only agnostic)? Saying "I don't know" would only mean that you're unaware of whether you're a theist it wouldn't make you an agnostic.

@Rene_Magritte "There are various forms of agnosticism (agnostic atheism, agnostic theism, etc)" My point is that there is no...

Various forms of agnosticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag...of_agnosticism

Honestly, I think you're being close-minded. You're seeing this way too black and white! People have the right to identify themselves however they wish. Saying "I don't know" would mean agnostic, because that is the DEFINITION of agnosticism. It means you don't know whether you believe in a God or not!

@monstrosity Various forms of agnosticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag...of_agnosticism Honestly, I think...

" Saying "I don't know" would mean agnostic, because that is the DEFINITION of agnosticism."
No Agnosticism is the belief that whether god exists or not is unknowable. But it is irrelevant because theism/atheism is a question of belief, not knowledge. It is entirely possible that unicorns exist but I still believe that they don't.

@Rene_Magritte " Saying "I don't know" would mean agnostic, because that is the DEFINITION of agnosticism." No Agnosticism is the...

And that would make you an agnostic atheist. There are various forms.

Let's stop arguing and agree to disagree, hm? It's pointless for each of us to try to change the other's opinion of belief/lack of belief.

For the love of big bang, there is no such thing as Darwinism.

@Rene-Magritte Wow. Are you seriously saying there's no such thing as spirituality without established religious doctrine? I have to be sure, because such depths of ignorance sometimes stun me into insensibility. Let me make this really easy for you:

Agnostic: n smiliea person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as "god", and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
This would mean that not only do they think no religion has the answers, that they are skeptical about science as well, except in cases of proof gained by human experience. They do not deny the existence of a supreme being, only acknowledge that they don't know what it may be.

Atheist: n smiliea person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Notice; no mention of science. One's other beliefs have nothing to do with this particular label... all one must do to be atheist is not believe in any kind of "god"...

420Grrl 0Reply

... figure.

So please, continue to argue that you know better than the dictionary, if you feel you haven't swallowed your foot deeply enough yet.

420Grrl 0Reply

FFS, BELIEVING SOMETHING IS UNKNOWABLE MEANS YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!! When you don't know something, you say "I don't know", regardless of why. You, Rene_Margritte, are the worst kind of moron; one who will actually try to use semantics to seem not-wrong. I'm not suprised you were willing to shut up. I'm willing to lay odds you didn't even know that definition until I posted it. I really hope you're still a child and you have time to grow out of that bullshit.

420Grrl 0Reply
@FFS, BELIEVING SOMETHING IS UNKNOWABLE MEANS YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!! When you don't know something, you say "I...

Use the reply button next time.
"I'm willing to lay odds you didn't even know that definition until I posted it." I haven't even seen your comment untill right now because you didn't use the reply button.
"I really hope you're still a child and you have time to grow out of that bullshit." Try reading my comments, then read your comments... who is really acting like a child? The fact that you're using profanity within that very sentence just proves my point.
Lastly and most importantly you have not made a single argument against me, you don't even seem to understand what I'm saying.

There is no such thing as having to believe in science OR God, and not both. There are plenty of religious scientists and Christians that believe in evolution.
And to be an atheist, by definition, all you have to do is believe there is no God. There are no other qualifications.

I am agnostic and I have looked at the teachings of various religions. I do believe there is a higher power, just not the was christians do. I dont think this being watches our every move closely. With the being said i am also not denying the possibility of no god. I am not denying anything, I have my own ideas. I believe in the WHOLE UNIVERSE. I think its arrogant that people think that their beliefs are the only right one, out of all the possible beliefs in the universe. i believe in the possibility of reincarnation and the constant movement of energy, we are all one being. I believe that if there is some supreme being, that there would be science behind it-just way out of our reach

If u don't beleive in God than don't go on arguing that he isn't real (even though he is)

Dear OP, Please look up what an agnostic and atheist are before making that post.

Agnostic- Someone who DOES BELIEVE IN GOD, but not sure which religion to be.

Atheist- Some one who DOES NOT believe in god.

Screw atheists. They're just a bunch of whores going LOOK AT ME I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD LOLOL.

@Screw atheists. They're just a bunch of whores going LOOK AT ME I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD LOLOL.

Some Christians are like that too, except they do believe in god.

This is a troll but saddly that's what most atheists on the internet do.

@guci This is a troll but saddly that's what most atheists on the internet do.

That's not true, there a lot of atheists on the internet who never even mention they are atheist, but off course you don't notice them. Most anti-theists maybe, but that's a different discussion.

You do know Charles Darwin was a protestant, right?

@fangirl12 You do know Charles Darwin was a protestant, right?

He was in his early life, but that changed later. Everyone was born religious back then.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +5Reply
@BreakfastFan He was in his early life, but that changed later. Everyone was born religious back then.

He was more religious than most people though. He was studying to become a priest at the time he theorized evolution.

And he changed.
I was Catholic, because that's how I was born, and I changed.
It's possible. Someone's religion isn't set in stone.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Katffro And he changed. I was Catholic, because that's how I was born, and I changed. It's possible. Someone's religion...

I heard he was still a protestant even after the evolution theory. People just rejected him because of his beliefs, and called him a heretic.

I agree. Before you join ANY religion (or lack there of) you should have complete understanding. Nothing is worse than arguing religion with an ignorant person.

Bossmans avatar Bossman Yeah You Are -4Reply
@Bossman I agree. Before you join ANY religion (or lack there of) you should have complete understanding. Nothing is worse...

Atheism is when you don't believe in god, simple as that. I have complete understanding of what an atheist is, it's anyone who doesn't believe in god and you don't need to be an expert on Evolution to become one.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that you can actually join the lack of something?

@How on earth did you come to the conclusion that you can actually join the lack of something?

By that I meant atheism. I thought I'd get hater mail if I called it a religion, but I got it anyway.

Bossmans avatar Bossman Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Bossman By that I meant atheism. I thought I'd get hater mail if I called it a religion, but I got it anyway.

Yes, I know you meant atheism. I'm just pointing out that your argument doesn't make any sense. You're saying that you should always know something about the thing that you're joining. But since atheism isn't something that you join, you have no point.

@Rene_Magritte Yes, I know you meant atheism. I'm just pointing out that your argument doesn't make any sense. You're saying that...

You need understanding before you leave something too. And if you define atheism as a religion, then fine, you need understanding before you join it.

@Bossman You need understanding before you leave something too. And if you define atheism as a religion, then fine, you need...

Only knowledge of the thing you're leaving should be neccesary. Also if you were born atheist you never left religion in the first place.

@Rene_Magritte Only knowledge of the thing you're leaving should be neccesary. Also if you were born atheist you never left...

Even so I'd rather discuss atheism with someone who knows squat about it. Especially evolution. I've found I know more about it than most of the people I discuss it with. Yes I have studied evolution, and that's one of the reasons i'm not atheist :]

@Bossman Even so I'd rather discuss atheism with someone who knows squat about it. Especially evolution. I've found I know...

I don't really care... I won the argument. And by the way you're a bit of a douche for calling me a "hater". Bye.

@Rene_Magritte I don't really care... I won the argument. And by the way you're a bit of a douche for calling me a "hater". Bye.

Wow I thought this was a fun argument before that one. That was kinda jerkish. No offence :]

Bossmans avatar Bossman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Bossman Wow I thought this was a fun argument before that one. That was kinda jerkish. No offence :]

Well, for me it stopped beeing just fun when you you called me a hater just for replying to you.

@Rene_Magritte Well, for me it stopped beeing just fun when you you called me a hater just for replying to you.

That was the beginning of the argument, so you basically got one post of fun. And I wasn't specifically trying to call you a hater, so sorry if that's how you felt. Anyway I thought "bye" meant you were done .-.

@Bossman That was the beginning of the argument, so you basically got one post of fun. And I wasn't specifically trying to...

Well it was still fun just in another way. And to the "bye" thing I couldn't know whether you'd reply or not it just seemed as though the argument was over. Bye?

@nickelxeye You didn't win the argument, you were just being a technical faggot.

Do you think calling me faggot will make you seem more convincing? And yes, I did win the argument, you don't even have a point.

@Rene_Magritte Do you think calling me faggot will make you seem more convincing? And yes, I did win the argument, you don't even...

I just think you are one, that's all. You didn't, rather than addressing his points you were being technical about "joining the lack of something". That is my definition of a faggot, by the way.