+535

dear Indian tech support guy stop saying your name is dave. You're not fooling anybody. amirite?

Dracos avatar Technology
8 17
The voters have decided that Draco is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Indians have name like Dev which is pronounced like Dave. So technically he's not lying

just because his ancestors are from India doesn't mean he can't be American or at least have an English name

Indians can have American names. My nationality is Indian but my name isn't even remotely close to being Indian. Also, the Indian name 'Dev' is pronounced as Dave and it is very popular. Think before you speak. This is neither funny nor original.

Repost with a different name -_- shouldnt be on the homepage. I lost hope in the amiriters ):

For some reason, I read this with a Napolean Dynomite accent.

The funniest part is that I know someone who's Indian and his name is Dave.

Their parents could name them with traditionally American names, their Indian name could be pronounced in the same was an American name is, you could be racist, it would be best for you to shut up about it probably.

@Frank_n_Furter Their parents could name them with traditionally American names, their Indian name could be pronounced in the same...

As a matter of fact they do adopt american names for their job since the people they speak with are american and generally aren't easily able to pronounce indian names. It's just a joke anyways (A very very old one...)

@Kumquat As a matter of fact they do adopt american names for their job since the people they speak with are american and...

I know they do SOMETIMES but it's such a sweeping racist generalization that I don't think is funny.

@Frank_n_Furter I know they do SOMETIMES but it's such a sweeping racist generalization that I don't think is funny.

I think it's common enough to point out and i don't see it as racist it's only a generalization no one is being insulted or subjugated. The amusing thing about it is they are are using an american name but so clearly are not american. It's fine if you think it's racist or not funny though, this is only my opinion. To each their own.

@Kumquat I think it's common enough to point out and i don't see it as racist it's only a generalization no one is being...

It's a bit of an insult than Americans want their tech support guys to be American so badly that it's a thing for people to have to lie about their heritage and it's a bit of an insult to assume they're lying. You can be white with American parents and born in America and still have an accent because you grew up in a different country or a bunch of other variables that mean they're not lying about their name or where they were born. There's too many assumptions and variables and it shows how racist Americans can be (not OP, he doesn't care if they're foreign from the looks of it) for me to think this is amusing.

@Frank_n_Furter It's a bit of an insult than Americans want their tech support guys to be American so badly that it's a thing for...

That's not part of the joke though. I agree what you describe is racist. So if you want to call someone racist blame the person who decided to require the employees to use an american name. Another reason they use american names is because they're easier to pronounce for americans. I'm american and i admit i'd like my telemarketers and tech support to be american but only because i'm against offshoring i don't think it's good for the economy here in the states.

@Kumquat That's not part of the joke though. I agree what you describe is racist. So if you want to call someone racist...

I specifically said the OP wasn't racist and that I didn't like the joke for other reasons.

@Frank_n_Furter I specifically said the OP wasn't racist and that I didn't like the joke for other reasons.

Ok sorry your comment was only half the length the first time i read it and that part wasn't there.
I understand where you're coming from and i have no arguments against what you're saying but you've over analyzed the joke. Any joke can be over analyzed. It's specifically targeted at the tech support guys who use american names that aren't theirs. But like i said before i'm not trying to change your mind about it being racist i'm only giving my opinion. To each their own.

@Kumquat Ok sorry your comment was only half the length the first time i read it and that part wasn't there. I understand...

Tis fine, I have a bad habit of edditing my comments a zillion times before I'm happy with them. I don't consider it over analyzing, I didn't try to analyse it at all, that's just the way my mind works I guess and I just see it like that without having to think.