+885

Those who read on their own time should be proud. You aren't dependent on technology to keep you entertained. amirite?

froyocharlies avatar
11 31
The voters have decided that froyocharlie is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

People could read on Fanfiction.net or Fictionpress.net......

@People could read on Fanfiction.net or Fictionpress.net......

those are really bad examples of book sites however there are sites dedicated to good reading some of the authors on it get published as real authors and the quality is mostly the same as books u would find in a store

Your notion of the definition of true literature fascinates and disgusts me.

Guessing lights don't count for this either? Or the inks in the book or the wrappers on it or the book mark yada yada yada.

Only way to truely get smarter and have a better knowledge is to embrace both the old and the new and let them combine. Be it with and E-Reader or a book, the contents is still there even if the old feel and smell is gone.

Does it still count as reading if it's online? Personally, I think the internet is better than most books for me intellectually, since most of the books I read are fiction aimed at teenagers/young adults, but on the internet I (50% of the time, maybe) read about self-improvement, psychology, etc.

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Rainbow35 Does it still count as reading if it's online? Personally, I think the internet is better than most books for me...

i dont know. i know that there are books about self improvement and psychology out there. but im not the one to decide what is considered 'reading'. my main point is that people survived before without all this technology, and if you can keep entertained without it, kudos to you.

froyocharlies avatar froyocharlie Yeah You Are +3Reply

Faping > everything else

E-Readers!

I love reading BOOKS like on paper. It's lovely. :)

Right! I have 2 shelves of books that I have yet to finish haha :)

@HannahFOObaby Right! I have 2 shelves of books that I have yet to finish haha :)

lolz. i have a problem with reading too fast. so i tend to go through a lot of lulls

froyocharlies avatar froyocharlie Yeah You Are 0Reply

Yeah I can't read fast baha so it takes my awhile. By the way sorry I can't do the reply thing, I'm on mobile and idk how to do it :x Baha I am amirite-slowwww. XD

@HannahFOObaby Yeah I can't read fast baha so it takes my awhile. By the way sorry I can't do the reply thing, I'm on mobile and...

haha. its not biggie. yeah...i think i read too fast for my own good. even when i try to slow down, cuz i know i wont get another book for a while, i still finish quickly. it can get kinda annoying.

froyocharlies avatar froyocharlie Yeah You Are +2Reply

I stock up whenever I go to Barnes and Noble. I cannot leave that store without something! Even if I have 50 books at home I still haven't read... :x

Hmm... I read a lot of stuff... Only on my Kindle and online magazines :3 I love reading for knowledge, but I use technology to do it so I'm not sure where I fall into this post lol.

I read amirite.

This is strange, I usually sit at home pitying all the people who rely on books to entertain them. We are all dependent on something. And for the record the internet has plenty of interesting and stimulating things to read.

@LewisL This is strange, I usually sit at home pitying all the people who rely on books to entertain them. We are all...

why should you pity those who use books as entertainment. i am one of those people, but its not like thats the only thing i do. of course i use the internet and i totally get that there is stuff to read on it. however, staring at a screen all day is not good for you, and you need to look at something other than a computer for hours on end. just going to the library and reading a book is great. reading helps expand vocab, do better in school, learn, a whole bunch of things. im not saying you are wrong in any way, and i totally get where you are coming from. but there are few things that can compare to the sound of the crack of a new binding, or getting caught up in a characters struggle, or being so engrossed you feel like you are there, and it takes you a minute to realize where you are. and to know that you can be kept busy, without having to use something attached to a cord, is what makes reading a book, for me at least, the best.

@froyocharlie why should you pity those who use books as entertainment. i am one of those people, but its not like thats the only...

I don't actually pity people who read books, I was only using that to illustrate how strange it is to be proud of depending on one thing while looking down on others for depending on another. It's great to be sentimental about books, but your post and previous comment have some pretty heavy subtext regarding people who use a computer more often than you.

@LewisL I don't actually pity people who read books, I was only using that to illustrate how strange it is to be proud of...

i am not looking down on anyone. but i just think we all need to take the time to just enjoy a good book. if i said anything that upset you, im sorry.

@froyocharlie i am not looking down on anyone. but i just think we all need to take the time to just enjoy a good book. if i said...

Your post says that people who read books should be proud because they don't use solely technology for entertainment. To me that suggests that it is better to be a 'book worm' than 'computer junkie'. I'm not upset, I'm just disagreeing.

@LewisL Your post says that people who read books should be proud because they don't use solely technology for...

and thats fine with me that you are disagreeing. im not saying being a book worm is better, nor am i saying that people who dont read as much are computer junkies. im mostly trying to say, that in a world where almost everything we do is dependent on technology, its nice that there are some people out there who can break away from that. do you get me?

one problem the book was probably printed by a factory and written using a computer...

@one problem the book was probably printed by a factory and written using a computer...

Wow. Thank you Captain Obvious. But consider the fact that while I'm learning new things about the world around me, while I'm getting smarter and enriching my life with words, you're spending your time in front of a screen, your brain cells rotting.

@thatdaydreamer Wow. Thank you Captain Obvious. But consider the fact that while I'm learning new things about the world around...

ur welcome Sargent Sarcasm no need for that i YYA'd it i'm just pointing out that in modern society it is impossible to escape technology. I read all the time and throughly enjoy it.

@ur welcome Sargent Sarcasm no need for that i YYA'd it i'm just pointing out that in modern society it is...

You're
Sergeant

I
YYA'd it,

I'm
virtually impossible
(never use absolutes)
thoroughly enjoy it*

Who cares? that doesn't mean the person reading is using the computer to read it