+181

Even if the KKK bought Martin Luther King' house, and built a fucking monument to Hitler it's okay, because they have the fucking right. I would fucking disagree with it, and I would be pretty pissed about it, but I would never tell them that they have no right. Sometimes, the assholes win, shit happens, but that's what makes America great. The minority opinion should be protected. amirite?

7 28

Let me see if I can put this in a way that you'll understand...
"This fucking shit is so fucking true I mean yeah it's shit to think about but hey life's shitty sometimes."

I get what you're saying, but just because they have the right, it doesn't mean that it's "okay." Stuff like that is stopped for a reason, regardless of the minority opinion.

There is freedom of speech and right to property, but I'll bet MLK's house is a protected national monument. Plus, the Nazi KKK would be watched very closely by the authorities, because speech is a freedom, but threats are illegal and hate crimes are illegal

@1657630

I think that they just meant that the KKK is known for threats and hate crimes.

LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are +5Reply

Yes, minority opinions should be protected, I get what you're saying there. But if that minority has gone to such extreme measures as you have described, there should be a procedure to remove it or prevent it from happening again. If the minority's actions put other groups down and affect the overall safety of a community, authority should have the right to put an end to it. All in all, opinions should be respected, but not protected if they get too far.

I feel like I would appeal to this post more if the word "fuck" wasn't tossed around in every other sentence.

I think some people get so worked up about government rights that they forget about what's right morally.

Abuse of the first amendment right to profanity.

Yes, they do have a right to free expression... but they don't have the right to oppress other people's rights, or to victimise them and make them feel unsafe in everyday life. No one has that right. And by spreading their extreme brand of hate, they are doing that. "Free speech" is not the get-out-of-jail-free card people think it is.

@1657605

How is it a hate crime?

Treldmans avatar Treldman Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1657638

I don't think a statue would be classified as a hate crime. As long as it was erected on a private property and not a public place, it wouldn't be considered intimidating, harmful, or terrifying under the law.

@1657660

Like the "mosque" that was being built "at ground zero"?

@1657700

It in reality was never going to be a mosque. It was going to be an Islamic centre with a place of worship for all faiths. And it was also going to be built approximately 3-5 blocks away. The media completely overplayed it and because of the media, Americans don't know the truth.

Treldmans avatar Treldman Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Treldman It in reality was never going to be a mosque. It was going to be an Islamic centre with a place of worship for all...

It's kind of ridiculous how much negativity the whole plan has received. The mosque wouldn't have even been on the grounds, it would have been in a reasonable distance away. Also, I don't think that any place of worship should be built on a memorial. Near is fine, but if it were on the grounds, it would be a reason to protest

@1657638

Ah, but that is the Criminal Code of Canada. MLK's home is in the States. Erecting a Hitler statue wouldn't be a hate crime here.

Treldmans avatar Treldman Yeah You Are 0Reply