+283

'Animal testing is wrong, it's so crude'. Yeah well, tell that to where most of our knowledge of basic anatomy comes from, major medical advances such as the development and creation of things like insulin, and prevention of extreme medical screw-ups. Somehow i don't think the overall opinion of animal testing will be that low if a cure for cancer was developed using it. amirite?

Whiteshadows avatar
3 27
The voters have decided that Whiteshadow is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Animal testing is wrong, if you're testing cosmetics on an animal. But if it's medicine like you said in the post it's ok.

Sure, but somethings are really fucked up, there are some tests that just should not be done, be it on animals or humans. And the only reason we test on animals and not humans is because animals can't sue. And though humans and animals have basics that are alike, we aren't automatically going to have the same reactions as them to certain medications etc. Idk, I'm still against animal testing for the most part.

...inb4 the same debate from yesterday.

I think we should test on people who are serving a life sentence in jail.
Or, on death row.. you know?
They're going to die anyway, at least those on death row. Not necessarily saying they'll die from this, but, they did something bad enough to get into that situation..what did the animals do?

While I somewhat agree with this post, medically there aren't a lot of animals that have the same anatomy as us. Even thought medical advancements have been made through animal testing, it's a very small percentage when you compare it to the thousands of animals that have been put through this torture all in the name of human advancement.

@Francois While I somewhat agree with this post, medically there aren't a lot of animals that have the same anatomy as us...

Torture? My step mom works with mice and getting them drunk to see the effects of alcohol, how early alcoholism can start, if there are ways to stop alcoholism if it runs in families, etc. and at her last lab, she was working on a cure for breast cancer. I have seen these mice, and they are just about the cutest things in the entire world. They get to live with their families/friends and get drunk. They live for about a month, then they are sedated and then killed. I have a VERY soft spot for animals (I don't use hygiene products that have been tested on animals, I don't eat meat or use leather products, etc.), but this is completely humane and they live a pretty good life.

EstoniaObsesseds avatar EstoniaObsessed Yeah You Are -2Reply
@EstoniaObsessed Torture? My step mom works with mice and getting them drunk to see the effects of alcohol, how early alcoholism can...

You think living for one month is a good life for them? That's not even a natural month for a mouse, it's a life spent being tested on, that's not humane.

Lindss avatar Linds No Way +1Reply
@Linds You think living for one month is a good life for them? That's not even a natural month for a mouse, it's a life...

Augh, sorry, I meant they're tested on for about a month. And actually, they live very happy lives. It's not like they're being given horrible kinds of drugs for no reason. They're trying to find cures for cancers and things that are killing people AND animals.

EstoniaObsesseds avatar EstoniaObsessed Yeah You Are +1Reply
@EstoniaObsessed Augh, sorry, I meant they're tested on for about a month. And actually, they live very happy lives. It's not like...

So how long do they get to live after being tested on? I dont think animals should be tested on to study the effects of alcoholism, there's a simple solution to it that requires no testing: don't drink.

Lindss avatar Linds No Way 0Reply
@Linds So how long do they get to live after being tested on? I dont think animals should be tested on to study the...

Not very long, but they live a few months before that. And it's not only to study the effects of alcohol, it's to find a way to stop alcoholism, which is a serious disorder (coming from a family who has many alcoholics in it, if I had just a few sips on accident or because teenagers do stupid things sometimes, I could potentially become addicted). And you can tell everyone in the world to not drink, that's fine. See how well they listen. There are alcoholics already who can't quit cold turkey, and they'll pass it down to their kids, etc. Testing for cosmetic purposes is idiotic and useless, but testing for medical purposes is needed.

@EstoniaObsessed Not very long, but they live a few months before that. And it's not only to study the effects of alcohol, it's to...

If it's a medical purpose for an aminal disorder, then yes it is needed. For instance, if you are studies diabetes in animals then by all means, you need to study that animal. Personally, I think death row inmates should be used for medical testing, then they can at least do something to help society as opposed to sitting in a jail cell. You dont need testing to stop alcolholism, it's an addiction like any other drug, get therapy and distance yourself from alcohol and anyone who pressures you to drink. I'm not saying it's not a difficult thing to overcome, but anyone can overcome it if they try hard enough.

Lindss avatar Linds No Way 0Reply
@Linds If it's a medical purpose for an aminal disorder, then yes it is needed. For instance, if you are studies diabetes...

We'd run out of death row inmates. It's not that simple. But if you don't believe in it for this purpose, what about for cancers?

@EstoniaObsessed We'd run out of death row inmates. It's not that simple. But if you don't believe in it for this purpose, what...

I doubt it, at the rate humanity is going down the shitter we wont run out. No, like someone mentioned before our anatomy is only somewhat similar to most animals, it would be more benficial to study cancer in a human.

Lindss avatar Linds No Way 0Reply
@Linds I doubt it, at the rate humanity is going down the shitter we wont run out. No, like someone mentioned before our...

People really don't have enough faith in humans. There aren't enough murderers to supply our needs for testing. Also, cancer works mostly the same way in most beings.

Stop animal testing! For the guinea pigs!

I don't think you meant to use "crude"

So guys, unless you can find a way that humans on something like death row can massively reproduce in a short amount of time, we're not testing on humans.

EstoniaObsesseds avatar EstoniaObsessed Yeah You Are +3Reply

maybe instead of testing on animals we should test on the dumbasses who think we shouldn't test on animals.

and yea, i know humans are animals.

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Thomas maybe instead of testing on animals we should test on the dumbasses who think we shouldn't test on animals. and...

exactly. just because animal cant talk or fight back doesnt mean we should be testing on them. its fucking cruel, no matter how much scientific information we can get from. there are other ways.

this is where morals vs. ethics comes in, and ethics wins.

It's the fucked up testing that should be stopped.
Testing for medical purpose, not cosmetic, is okay.
As long as the animals aren't simply being tortured.
Needs to at least not cause the animals horrid pain all their life.

Dude you took the words right out of my mouth.

@540769

That's a completely different posts

@540769

Yeah i think 'wtf' sums everything up.