+339

The people who argue with teachers are dumb. They are gonna get in even more trouble. Why not just shush? amirite?

Education
3 16

it's not about getting in trouble, it's about pride and egos, and we ALL know what happens when you attack someones ego

@piratedicecream it's not about getting in trouble, it's about pride and egos, and we ALL know what happens when you attack someones ego

That the crap and you can often make the teacher look like the dumb one. Besides you simply look worse and worse when you argue to a teacher and your not going to achieve anything.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Saigot That the crap and you can often make the teacher look like the dumb one. Besides you simply look worse and worse...

But I think what they're arguing about is important. If the teacher is wrong, and refuses to admit it, should a student accept that and back down, because the teacher has far more power than they do, or should they continue arguing their point?

@Simon But I think what they're arguing about is important. If the teacher is wrong, and refuses to admit it, should a...

make the point once and back down, then everyone can find out the truth if they want, you retain your grade, and the teacher retains his pride.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are +1Reply

i think this depends on the teacher.
my teachers don't get a kid in trouble if he can actually back up his argument with logic and facts.

Evan17s avatar Evan17 No Way +8Reply

Depends. Obviously there is a power things here - a teacher has far more power than a student.

And there are times where a teacher may be legitmatly wrong - although I'm guessing if they admit to it, it would be a minor issue, rather than things that we are still constantly debating on this site.

Hell no. Earlier this year, my honors Italian teacher accused me and my friend of plagiarizing because she copied TWO WORDS onto google and who would've thunk? Those two words came up on google. So she was all like "Vicki and Alex, you guys plagiarized, I'm gonna need to talk to you after class!" I obviously wasn't gonna let her get me in trouble for "plagiarizing" when we really didn't. I took it a bit far though, and the next day I didn't do any work so she goes "Vicki, why aren't you doing your work?" and I was like "Uhhhhhhhh, MAYBE because you're gonna accuse me of copying this too."

If I'm right, I'm going to tell them. It's as simple as that.

Sometimes the teacher is actually wrong. If it's something trivial, then you should just let it go, but sometimes it's needed. Like once, my teacher claimed that middle easterners 'don't have indoor plumbing and they all have holes in the ground instead of toilets. also they don't believe in toilet paper' because he once visited a poor village in Turkey (which isn't even the middle east). And since I'm FROM the middle east, I felt it only right to defend my culture.

I have had one of my teachers say: "There are a vast number of people in the world that are smarter than I am. Some of them are sitting in this room." The students were the only other people in the room. Oh, and this was in AP Chem.

Same for parents(at least mine) you can argue as much as you want but even if the proof is right in their face You're still wrong.

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think what the OP means is when the kid is in trouble and obviously wrong. Stupid kids at my school do this all the time.

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Pride?

Ram27s avatar Ram27 No Way 0Reply

My Spanish teacher got us to do an art project (which was already stupid in the first place, she had us decorating a picnic table for whatever reason) and she advised us to make it as dark as possible so it stood out against the pale wood, and one kid had a beautiful piece of work, and he asked if he could keep it light. Her exact words: "no, because this is MY table (it's not, it's going in the courtyard of the school) and so that's my art, so you make it darker."...and I can hardly believe I didn't say anything. /end rant

Obviously if they're being disrespectful or are arguing about proper class behavior, they're being an idiot. But there are definitely exceptions to this post. If a math or science teacher gets a problem wrong, of course you should raise your hand and correct them.
If you're discussing a book in English, and you disagree with your teacher about the theme or on their perception of a particular character, why not debate it? Debating/ arguing in class is fun. It promotes independent thinking and gets the class more excited about the material.

I only argue with my teacher because she's such a bitch.