-235

It's wrong for your boyfriend to break up with you because you chose your religion over him, amirite?

daysijanes avatar Relationships
0 31
The voters have decided that daysijane is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's not that. Him and I have never really discussed it before. He knew I had church on sundays and asked me to go somewhere with him. I told him I couldn't because I had church. He asked if I loved church more than him (at times like these) and I responded to yes. So, I think it's absurd. But that's just me.

daysijanes avatar daysijane Yeah You Are +9Reply
@daysijane It's not that. Him and I have never really discussed it before. He knew I had church on sundays and asked me to go...

i think thats just messed up! im not religious in the least but you should respect someones religion and choices!

If you're choosing your religion over him all the time why would he bother being with you?

Yeah, there is completely no need to insult her just because you don't have the same views. That's idiotic, besides the point, and ignorant.

I'm not Christian, I'm just saying.

I think he was wrong to break up with you just for one day a week. I mean, jeez, if you had gym and he'd been like, "Oh, you prefer getting healthy over me?" ... yeah, if you believe in God, then you SHOULD choose God over him, wtf. He's pretty immature about it to take it so personally (being with someone religious requires understanding) but at the same time, its a good thing you got it over with. Generally, try to be with someone of your own beliefs. Its just easier.

I completely agree. Nobody should criticize you or get upset with you over your religion choices. I mean, you had your religion before him, and you'll still have it when he's gone.

PlainJanes avatar PlainJane Yeah You Are +5Reply

If he dumps you from that then you're clearly better off without him since he doesn't share the same religious views.

@Rebel If he dumps you from that then you're clearly better off without him since he doesn't share the same religious views.

I strongly disagree with the last part of this. Two people do NOT need to share the same religious view to be in ANY kind of relationship. That's extremely judgmental and closeminded.

@I strongly disagree with the last part of this. Two people do NOT need to share the same religious view to be in...

You had better check out 2 Corinthians 6:14. I guess you could argue that there's nothing wrong with dating a non-christian, but dating ultimately leads to marriage and that's definitely where the bible draws the line.

@484185 (kaitlynann): I'm not disagreeing, but sometimes it's just easier because there's no religious fighting.

How was it wrong of him? Her choice is church. He doesn't agree. So he should stay with her? No. They obviously were not a good match.

This is a tough question and there is no easy answer. I think it all depends on the specifics of each individual case, and so can't really be judged by people who don't know these details (such as all of us).

You should've worded your post better because you made it sound like you completely chose your religion over him instead of you just going to church on Sundays.

100% agreed.

I think he's a dick. Of course you love church more than him if you're a Christian. He's immature.

Yeah, regardless of the reason, the breakup was a good idea... obviously you guys weren't going anywhere. Relationships between the I-can't-miss-a-single-Sunday-for-anything religious types and the either less-zealous or not religious at all types really don't work.

I wonder how old you are, Kaitlynann, and how many serious relationships with people from other religions you've seen/been in. Ideally, you'd be correct, but it doesn't work that way in the real world.

I don't agree that religion is necessarily a fair reason to dump someone but I also don't agree that you absolutely need a "fair" reason to dump someone. If one person just isn't feeling it or doesn't agree with a certain aspect of the other person then they should be allowed to break it off. There's not just a short list of reasons that you should be allowed to end a relationship because of, if anything isn't going how you want then you can end it... Why stay in a relationship you're not happy with just because you don't have a "good enough" reason to end it?

I think it's utterly wrong of him to break up with you because you believe in bigger and better things. I also think it's likely for the best, like plenty of people have said. If he doesn't understand that, than he doesn't deserve you. :)

Not getting together due to church is one thing, but "choosing religion over him" is another. Guys have egos, we like to be important. If he's not religious then God isn't important to him. I don't agree with how he handled the whole thing, but I at least see where he's coming from.

If your boyfriend does not respect your beliefs then you're better off alone.

Neos avatar Neo Yeah You Are +1Reply

@fastpitchgoddess: my thoughts exactly. Sure it doesn't seem like 'a good' reason but really, what is. Point blank, if you're not happy leave. Yeah someones gonna get hurt but hey that's the game :) haha.

Yeah, but you forget one thing.... There is no god.

Seriously, if she's so stuck on her religion that she can't miss one sunday then obviously the relationship is going nowhere.

God should always be ur number one priority despite what people say or think. It won't always be easy to keep Him that way, but continually place Him before anyone else, and if a boyfriend doesn't understand that, He's not right for you anyway.

It is wrong to choose something primitive and socially retarded over someone.

Church is boring... and by the sounds of it, so are you.

@Church is boring... and by the sounds of it, so are you.

That's mean, and unnecessary. Instead of looking for a fight on here, why don't you go screw yourself.

That's just you being brainwashed. Open your god damn eyes. If you're young enough to be talking about your 'boyfriend' and taking it so lightly you are too young to decide your stance on religion. Period. He's totally right deciding to have done that.