+667

Its ridiculous that in some places they are considering starting family life/sex education as young as kindergarten and grade one. Please let 6 year olds keep their innocence. amirite?

julieLs avatar
5 60
The voters have decided that julieL is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@620664

hahahahaha that's awful...

fatimas avatar fatima Yeah You Are 0Reply
@592258

There was talk of it in ontario at one point. I don't know if they're seriously going through with it, but that's just crazy. Mind you, it wouldn't be very in depth, just the names: penis, vagina etc. but even so... ughh

julieLs avatar julieL Yeah You Are +3Reply
@592271

bwahaha oh God I hope not.

@592258

I had my sex ed start in grade 3 (I live in Ontario, Canada)

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Saigot I had my sex ed start in grade 3 (I live in Ontario, Canada)

Forget the post about milk in a bag, try explaining THIS to an American!

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +9Reply

yeah I believe mine started grade three of four, even then is still really early. And I remember learning very thorough anatomy in grade four, honestly I didn't even know how to pronounce vagina then.

julieLs avatar julieL Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't think this is as terrible as you seem to think it is, I knew what sex was at age four and fully understood it by the first grade and I didn't lose any part of my childhood I played perfectly well with the other kids, never once asked "show me yours and I'll show you mine" I didn't try to have sex in elementery or middle school. I just knew what sex was and knew what the dangers of it were so I knew not to try it until I was ready. As for the part about parents not wanting to tell their kids themselves well some of the more scientific parts of it some parents simply CANNOT explain probably because no one wanted to ruin their innocence when they were young and explian it to them. If some people don't like this idea they should make it optional so parents who want their kids to learn later can have that option.

@Black_Shiba I don't think this is as terrible as you seem to think it is, I knew what sex was at age four and fully understood...

That's the first compromise I've read, and it sounds great. However, making it optional means separating the kids to learn about it, which means that the kids will know who was opted-out. So opting your kid out of sex ed will just result in him/her receiving sex ed from their peers instead of the teacher.

@That's the first compromise I've read, and it sounds great. However, making it optional means separating the kids...

most kids learn the truth from their peers anyway. Besides I plan on telling my children the truth when they ask no matter what the age just like my parents. If that doesn't sit well with any one else too bad their MY kids and I would rather them find out everything from me than have them want to figure it out at a young age because they don't fully understand what they're doing.

Why do they even need to know? I mean does the school EXPECT little kids to even think about having sex? Damn that's just messed up.

luvslife333s avatar luvslife333 Yeah You Are +3Reply

I think 12 is an acceptable age to teach sex ed. In 4th or 5th grade, I don't remember, we only learned about egg, sperm, and zygotes. And chromosomes.
In elementary school, that's all you need to know.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Katffro I think 12 is an acceptable age to teach sex ed. In 4th or 5th grade, I don't remember, we only learned about egg...

so what about the kids who hit puberty at age nine? we let them feel like freaks and flonder around not knowing whats going on with their body?

@Black_Shiba so what about the kids who hit puberty at age nine? we let them feel like freaks and flonder around not knowing...

When I was in 5th grade, when most kids were 9-10, the girls were taken to a room where we learned about periods and got deodorant. I'm not sure if the guys got something similar [because they hit puberty later], but that's all you NEED to know at such an age. Most girls don't hit puberty until middle school.
In 7th grade, we got more in depth because that's when we start health class. And correct me if I'm wrong, but only a very small percentage of students have sex in/before 7th grade.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Katffro When I was in 5th grade, when most kids were 9-10, the girls were taken to a room where we learned about periods...

yeah we got the same thing in fifth grade but what I'm saying is that some kids will here about sex before they are told by an adult and they will want to try it. Personally I think 7th grade is way to young to be having sex. Maybe if they were told more about sex and what can come of it they wouldn't be so willing to do it at that age.

@Black_Shiba yeah we got the same thing in fifth grade but what I'm saying is that some kids will here about sex before they are...

Well, the people I know who did it so young were the "popular" kids. They did it for the attention.
Everyone else still giggled when they heard "sex". 7th grade seems like a good time to teach it.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Katffro Well, the people I know who did it so young were the "popular" kids. They did it for the attention. Everyone else...

I dunno I've known for as long as I can remember and I seem to have turned out fine no mental scarring and no sleeping around.

@Black_Shiba I dunno I've known for as long as I can remember and I seem to have turned out fine no mental scarring and no...

There's just no amazingly good reason to teach it so young.
We have the ability to learn, say, trigonometry in elementary school, but we don't. We can learn about what REALLY happened between the pilgrims and Native Americans, but we don't.

@Katffro There's just no amazingly good reason to teach it so young. We have the ability to learn, say, trigonometry in...

........what did they tell you happened with the pilgrims and Native Americans? They told us the truth. And I don't see an "amazingly good reason" to NOT teach kids so young.

@Black_Shiba what did they tell you happened with the pilgrims and Native Americans? They told us the truth. And I don't...

We were told they hunted and feasted together peacefully. In reality, the pilgrims chopped of their heads and put them on stakes.

@Katffro We were told they hunted and feasted together peacefully. In reality, the pilgrims chopped of their heads and put...

yeah we learned about that and how they gave them blankets with small pox on it and well basically everything

@Black_Shiba yeah we learned about that and how they gave them blankets with small pox on it and well basically everything

We learned that, because it wasn't violent. I learned about the violence in 7th grade.

As much as I hate the thought of my 9 year old receiving sex education, I received my period very young and it would have been easier if I had understood what was going on.

@As much as I hate the thought of my 9 year old receiving sex education, I received my period very young and it...

At 9 years old, you don't need to know about sex. Like I said, in 5th grade [9-10], we just learned that one day, we were going to bleed for a few days out of our vagina. We didn't know why, we just knew it happened. We learned why when we were 12-13.

How is it sad for kindergartners to learn what a penis/vagina is? My parents refuse to tell my two little brothers (6 and 9) where babies came from and stuff so I sat them down and explained what a vagina was and are babies are made. They definitely didn't lose their innocence, they are just aware now. It's not like they're going to want to have sex! I'm sure there are kids out there who are curious to these questions but have no older siblings to inform them correctly.

@fangirl12 I'm sure most little kids at least know what a penis and a vagina are already.

I'm fine with my children knowing what penis and vagina's are, but I definitely do not want my 6 year old to know that a penis goes into a vagina.

@Janae17 How is it sad for kindergartners to learn what a penis/vagina is? My parents refuse to tell my two little brothers...

Kids are gonna want to know what sex is really like if people call it "a pleasurable experience."

@Kids are gonna want to know what sex is really like if people call it "a pleasurable experience."

I knew at age four. I'm about to turn 18 and am still a virgin. Not because I'm saving myself or any religious thing just because I haven't done it yet.

(fangirl12@620830 (Anonymous): Okay please don't tell me you're saying that if we educate kids about sex they're gonna wanna have it?

@jukilo (fangirl12@620830 (Anonymous): Okay please don't tell me you're saying that if we educate kids about sex they're...

Absolutely not. It's just not neccessary to teach them at age 6 and there's no reason to open a world they're not mature enough to handle yet. Not, "not mature enough" as in they'll turn psychotic or something, I mean they'll either be grossed out so we could save them a lot of mental scars, or they'd think it's okay to talk about sex at innappropriate moments.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Oh, wait, just the names then? That's not even really sex ed, it's anatomy. I live in the US, we learned about "personal privacy" in second grade, periods, and body parts in fifth, and actual how-it-worked in seventh. There's another deeper, in depth course in 11th/12th grade. I think that's a pretty good system. Of course, my mother gave me "the talk" in grade four so I wouldn't get freaked out about anything...

Mementos avatar Memento Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Memento Oh, wait, just the names then? That's not even really sex ed, it's anatomy. I live in the US, we learned about...

But not just names like penis and vagina, other names like clitoris and erection. They DO NOT need to know what an erection is.

julieLs avatar julieL Yeah You Are -1Reply
@julieL But not just names like penis and vagina, other names like clitoris and erection. They DO NOT need to know what an...

I'm not sure about that, but I hear that for boys, masturbation begins at infancy. Not sure how true that is, but if that's the case, maybe they should learn about it. I also distinctly remember coming in contact with my own "parts" at a very young age, not knowing what they were, being terrified about it. Now that I'm older I realize the boys-have girls-have business, but maybe if I had had sex ed back then I wouldn't have been so frightened?

Mementos avatar Memento Yeah You Are +1Reply

When I am a parent, I don't plan on telling my kids some stork lie. If you raise them right, they won't grow up as perverts.

Why start on kids whose brains are only moderately developed when it won't even work on those gaining their maturity?

It'd save parents from having to answer that awkward "where do babies come from" question, though

@agent_eclaire It'd save parents from having to answer that awkward "where do babies come from" question, though

that's what a parents' job is! this why kids are so uninformed now. Lazy parents avoid 'awkward' but vital questions tat kids need to know. And I don't even see what's so awkward about talking to your kids about sex? Sex is an awesome thing if you wait till the right time to do it.

@Janae17 that's what a parents' job is! this why kids are so uninformed now. Lazy parents avoid 'awkward' but vital...

That's how parents SHOULD think of it, but most parents like to believe that their children will be perfectly innocent and naive until they're 30.

chilhood innocence is lost. i lost my virginity just looking at this.

No, it's not sad, it's precaution, If they know at an age where they aren't thinking about sex they'll still know the repercussion for when their older.

@620715

Uh buddy, I think sex is a completely different subject than torture. And just so you know the sex education they're talking about is just knowing about sexual organs and knowing what each is. It's not about intercourse.

jukilos avatar jukilo No Way +4Reply
@620865

Well the truth is they've heard of the other organs but don't actually know what and how they work. Which knowing this can help them just have a better understanding of the world. And they have found that kids who get sex ed are more likely to use birth control and condoms.

jukilos avatar jukilo No Way +3Reply
@jukilo Well the truth is they've heard of the other organs but don't actually know what and how they work. Which knowing...

Maybe they're more likely to use birth control and condoms because they are more likely to have sex than those that didn't get sex ed...just a thought.

@Maybe they're more likely to use birth control and condoms because they are more likely to have sex than those that...

Maybe they have surveyed the nation and have come up with this statistic by legit tests. Just a thought.

@620920

They wouldn't really understand semen or conception anyways. And I really don't think I'm going to continue this argument because it'll just go back and forth.

@620715

I know by the 1st grade everyone already know what sex was and how it worked, they'll already know but teaching them how to be safe with others will teach them life lessons

@Moonfang66 I know by the 1st grade everyone already know what sex was and how it worked, they'll already know but teaching...

I didn't know how sex worked in first grade and I'm glad. It saved me a lot of mental scars.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +5Reply

That's ridiculous, 5 and 6 year old's do not know how sex works. Kids are very observant, so they usually know about it, but telling a child, "this is how you have sex, but don't do it" is only going to make them want to. How many times have you seen a parent tell their child not to put that toy in their mouth and they do it anyways? If not, haven't you seen the Lion King? "Simba, you must promise you will never go there [elephant graveyard]" and what does Simba do first chance he gets? Goes to the elephant graveyard.

Picture yourself in grade one. Sitting on the floor singing songs. Now replace the song with the words penis and vagina. All the teachers would get is a fit of giggles. It would be stupid to teach that. No one would pay attention. And why should the teacher have to give them the talk? It's not their kids. Parents need to grow up. My parents read me a book. Quick and simple.

Anonymous