+485

Not allowing gay marriage for religious reasons is invalid- we do not live in a theocracy. Amirite?

bondcatbonds avatar
5 19
The voters have decided that bondcatbond is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

America wasn't exactly founded on Christianity, but a lot of it's founding members were, indeed, Christians. So that obviously influenced their decisions in the making of America.
Religious reasons shouldn't be a reason to disallow something, but the majority of Americans voted against gay marriage. If America doesn't want it, America doesn't get it.

@horsechick America wasn't exactly founded on Christianity, but a lot of it's founding members were, indeed, Christians. So...

The majority of America was also against interracial marriage when it was legalized by the Supreme Court. Just because the majority of America is against gay marriage does not mean the government should not attempt to make progress towards the social betterment of our country.

@The majority of America was also against interracial marriage when it was legalized by the Supreme Court. Just...

So basically you're saying that the government should go ahead and make decisions, and the citizens should have no say in it whatsoever?
What if the government said everyone with blonde hair should be put in prison for the "social betterment of our country"?
Power to the people. The government shouldn't be allowed to rule our lives.

@horsechick So basically you're saying that the government should go ahead and make decisions, and the citizens should have no...

(horsechick497):" So basically you're saying that the government should go ahead and make decisions, and the citizens should have no say in it whatsoever?"
NO..That is NOT what s/he was saying. Read the message properly.
What the person said was;
Sure, America may not be into gay marriage NOW, but time.. the favor might just go FOR gay marriage, just as with interracial marriage.
Read properly next time.;)

Genies avatar Genie Yeah You Are +1Reply

The entire institution of marriage is religious in origin. If two people of the same gender want to spend their lives together than thats fine with me because that is their decision but they should do it by means other than marriage.

@jstoffel55 The entire institution of marriage is religious in origin. If two people of the same gender want to spend their...

There are other issues than the name of marriage.
A lot of gay couples complain about the benefits that married couples get (financial, taxes etc..).
Those have nothing to do with religion. Yet it seems getting married, is the only way to get those benefits.

It's not allowed because it's overall not good for society. Not entirely because of religion

@It's not allowed because it's overall not good for society. Not entirely because of religion

Give me one valid, specific reason how allowing gays to marry would harm society.

@ilovecranberries Give me one valid, specific reason how allowing gays to marry would harm society.

There is none.
We just live in a pathetic society, too scared to see what the world really is; full of gays who have the right to be who they want to be.

Genies avatar Genie Yeah You Are 0Reply

The only reason I can think of why it would be bad is because they can get aids. But wait! Can't we all get aids or STDs for that matter?! I guess we should just ban sex altogether...

bondcatbonds avatar bondcatbond Yeah You Are 0Reply

quit bringing up gay agenda ... u suck

AgaDoos avatar AgaDoo Yeah You Are +1Reply

true but america was founded on christianity and thats what made us such a great country. moving away from that is whats getting us so screwed up.

@true but america was founded on christianity and thats what made us such a great country. moving away from that is...

I thought America was founded on rights and freedoms like freedom of religion?

I think marriage is an issue for people, because in some religions, marriage is a religious rite. Like in my church, it's a sacrament, just like baptism and confirmation.

So some people see marriage as something religious, while others see it as a legal thing with the government. That's why the whole marriage thing is confusing, in my opinion. Because it's two different definitions of things that are rolled together into one.

@beil I thought America was founded on rights and freedoms like freedom of religion? I think marriage is an issue for...

I agree that that is probably where a lot of confusions comes from amongst people, but seeing as in our government, our secularist government, marriage is viewed in a legal sense, then that means that bondcatbond's comment is correct; the government can't use religion as an argument in the legality of marriage. People may chose to themselves think that a gay marriage is invalid for religious regions, but that's independent of government.

Actually it wasn't founded for Christianity. The colonies were, but not the country.Thomas Jefferson was one of our first presidents, and he wasn't Christian.

Mad_Ds avatar Mad_D Yeah You Are +1Reply

We don't live in a traditional society, though. Living in a traditional society won't help us move forward and become even more prosperous.