+387

It's kind of weird how people talk about science as if it were a person, e.g. "Science hasn't discovered why ..." "Science tells us ..." and things like that. Science is just a tool we use to discover more about the world around us, amirite?

VictoryAACs avatar
4 5
The voters have decided that VictoryAAC is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

People do that all the time. "History tells us." "The Bible tells us." So on and so on. Also phrases like, "Hit the road", "Get lost", "This is a dumbass post". They won't make sense if you take them literally.... It's just an expression. If you took everything literally, then a lot of things wouldn't make sense.

@KickAss People do that all the time. "History tells us." "The Bible tells us." So on and so on. Also phrases like, "Hit the...

If you'd read my post, you would have realized that my point was that people treat science like it is a rational being. No one talks about math solving problems or explaining things. No one says that history or the bible discover anything, but you hear about science uncovering things and explaining mysteries all the time. I understand that it is an expression, but I think that it is weird to treat science in that manner.

VictoryAACs avatar VictoryAAC Yeah You Are -1Reply
@VictoryAAC If you'd read my post, you would have realized that my point was that people treat science like it is a rational...

Well history, science, The Bible, and other things are all different. They tell you different things, you won't say when you look at history, you will learn how to make an instant transporter. Just like that you aren't going to say the Bible discovered something. Their purposes are different. But you still can reference that thing when making a comment. People do say that, "History tells us this and that", I've heard almost any noun being used as a reference, given enough people respect it's authority.... And even if it doesn't some people still use it.

its funny because when the last sentence said "science is just a tool" i felt bad for science, like you were being offensive haha

sportmaster525s avatar sportmaster525 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Science may not be a person, but it is a thing. It's an institution- ie; "in the name of science". Science isn't a tool; the scientific method, equations/algorithms, and the objects we use to test hypotheses are tools. People saying "science discovered (whatever)" is just simpler than saying "So-and-so scientist, using this and that scientific methods, discovered (whatever)."

Surely it's not really all that weird that people can be imprecise sometimes, in the interest of brevity.