+407

If you think about it, the human race is just getting weaker. Natrually, people with, say weaker immune systems, would be killed off. For all our technology, advances and accomplishments, all humanity has achieved is to put a hold on evolution. We no longer evolve. We now try to evolve the world around us. amirite?

Whiteshadows avatar
10 9
The voters have decided that Whiteshadow is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Just because the next generation isn't born with an extra leg doesn't mean we're not evolving; because we ARE. With all these hand sanitizers and anti-bacterial products, we're making our immune system weaker. With outrageous food purification processes, we're weakening our stomachs' ability to withstand germs and impurities. Because heavier people are more adjusted for having babies, we're getting heavier. Studies show that in 400 years, the average person will be 2 pounds heavier. Remember, evolution takes place over millions and billions of years, so we're not going to see it happen right before our eyes. And we might not ever, because evolution takes place internally too (like our immune systems) rather than sprouting a pair of wings.

Actually, people have been trying to make the world around them "evolve" since they were first created.... I mean farming? Irrigation? Hunting? Gathering? These things aren't new, people have always tried to make the land more livable....

The fact that we have emotions and mourn our dead is the reason why we don't evolve. You could make it sound negative, but it's true. If someone cares about the sick person, they're not going to think, "Well their death will eventually help the evolution of man." They're going to want to do everything they can to make sure they live a long life. It's bittersweet.

Previously_Sanes avatar Previously_Sane Yeah You Are +2Reply

Well, we might be able to start evolution again.
We just need to kill off the stupid celebrities than encourage stupidity, like Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus...

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +1Reply

Which is why we will be be artificially evolving our genes in the near future.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +1Reply

I've been thinking about this for years. Quite unfortunate, isn't it.

EmptyMelodiess avatar EmptyMelodies Yeah You Are +1Reply

Evolution isn't progressive, it's about reproducing viable, healthy offspring to the changing environment. You don't exactly understand evolution because we don't evolve like that.

This is very nearly exactly How I see things. If I wasn't on my phone I would favourite. But yes, humanity is changing still, but not for the good. Not evolving, not quite devolving. Like a hedge, once trimmed to keep only the strongest, healthiest branches, now tended to grow wild, sickness and weakness undeniably spreading. That is why I believe genetic manipulation in the future is inevitable.

cjewelss avatar cjewels Yeah You Are -1Reply