+409

For some reason, foreign language teachers seem to begin to think that they're from the country where the language they teach is spoken, amirite?

fatimas avatar
3 19
The voters have decided that fatima is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

i understand why, though. two people could've spent the first year or so of their life in different countries but one could've grown up in/studied much of another country and therefore felt like they belong there more. it's not their fault they were born in America, and maybe they don't even like it at all, it's alright for them to feel like they belong in a completely different language-speaking country.

@i understand why, though. two people could've spent the first year or so of their life in different countries but...

I didn't say it was a bad thing, I just felt like my French teacher was going a bit over board when he said that the Parisian Youth Revolts of 1968 were what made him who he was, whereas it was just history for us. Haha.

fatimas avatar fatima Yeah You Are +1Reply

Extremely true! I have lived in a Russian speaking country for a couple of years and now I am more comfortable with speaking Russian then I am with English. Whenever I go back to America I feel like an outsider and I don't belong there at all.

@Gleek Extremely true! I have lived in a Russian speaking country for a couple of years and now I am more comfortable with...

я тоже, и когда увижу кокого-нибуть прохожего который говорит по русски а не по английски, сразу хочется подружится!

My Spanish 1 Teacher. German. Grew up there, taught it until it was phased out..... but she has a Spanish accent now, even when she is speaking English to us. 0_0

Taters avatar Tater Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Tater My Spanish 1 Teacher. German. Grew up there, taught it until it was phased out..... but she has a Spanish accent...

haha really? yeah the other day my french teacher was saying how the parisian youth revolts of 1968 were history to us, but a part of his life. i was like...umm...no.

fatimas avatar fatima Yeah You Are +2Reply

My Japanese teacher was actually from Japan, so I guess I was lucky.

My French teacher's from France.
It's not uncommon.
At least at my school.

My French teacher from last year is from France. But she doesn't teach French anymore... She teaches Spanish. Which is strange since she's French..

My French teacher is from a French-speaking part of Africa..does that count?

The two French teachers at my school actually grew up in France. I guess my school got lucky. Hmm.

My French teacher was Asian. But he moved to France when he was seven

The teachers at my school are all locals, some of them are racist to outsiders, they didn't even know they're racist, even my mom is racist, my aunt too... and my mom doesn't accept gay marriage, well I do

ShioryKyokos avatar ShioryKyoko Yeah You Are +1Reply

My Latin teacher would except no country speaks Latin

My Spanish/Italian teacher is Italian. I know her parents were from Italy, but I don't remember if she was born there or not.

My German teacher is Irish but he lived in Germany for a few years.

All my Spanish teachers have actually been born and raised in Spanish speaking countries.

its because that has to be their first language in order to teach it as a second language to other people, or at least in all the places i've ever lived