+472

Teenagers don't understand the difference between photography and taking a damn picture. Documenting a moment is oceans away from capturing art, amirite?

vondahls avatar
6 22
The voters have decided that vondahl is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's not only teenagers. Does becoming a adult mean you already have the skiltowns talent to capture true beauty in a single shot? No, and some teenagers do have the talent to do that.

@ScrewMidol It's not only teenagers. Does becoming a adult mean you already have the skiltowns talent to capture true beauty in...

I know that some teens are very talented, my post was just about this girl I know who thinks she's a photographer but she really just takes crappy pictures. A lot of teens and adults alike have the nerve to call themselves artists when they know absolutely nothing about composition or any elements of design.

vondahls avatar vondahl Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vondahl I know that some teens are very talented, my post was just about this girl I know who thinks she's a photographer...

You should have said same 'Some teenagers' since you make it sound like all of us teenagers pretend we art pro photography artists. Though you don't ACTUALLY have to know about compostition of elements of design to be an artist; would you really say some of the greatest artists in history where nothing if not a novice due to the 'lack of knowledge' of that time period? No.
That girl is a photographer since a photographer is someone who takes photos, she is just a crappy one is all.
Besides, isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Just so you know, there are many teenagers who can take amazing photos.

yes. stop talking down ALL teenagers just because a few bimbo teen girls don't know how to take pictures

@yes. stop talking down ALL teenagers just because a few bimbo teen girls don't know how to take pictures

Calm down. I was just making a generalization. Of the teens who call themselves artists, very few of them are.

vondahls avatar vondahl Yeah You Are +2Reply

This is soooo true. Okay, you know how a fancy camera works you stupid hipster but just because you take a picture with it does not make you photographer. Uggghhh

@vondahl Finally! Thank you.

I've been in art for 8 years, 3 of which were Advance, and I'm STILL Doing art class. The POINT in it is to capture something YOU think is beautiful or the way you feel. There are some artwork that looks like someone just threw paint everywhere and went "Oh this shit looks kewl, lets share it with the world." Touching it up here and there is fine. If you haven't notice, when you take a picture (Professional or not) You're capturing a moment either way.

@Agent_Romanova I've been in art for 8 years, 3 of which were Advance, and I'm STILL Doing art class. The POINT in it is to...

Regardless, there is a difference between taking a picture and photography. Some teenagers will take a close up picture of a flower and call it photography, which it is not.

@ScrewMidol Photography MEANS taking a picture.

not the dictionary definition, the ART. there is a difference between ART and a freaking picture.

@710836

Well, I'm a teenager lol. And I was really calling people who defined ART an idiot. I just have urges to call people Idiots.

Guys, chill out. She was just saying that there are alot of teens who seem to think that owning a camera makes you an artist. She was not saying that there aren't teens who can capture art.

I will politely disagree. Someone might have talent, but it is unrefined at best. In order to break the rules of "proper" art, one must first be well-acquainted with said rules first. You can't hack a computer without being very familiar with the way it works.

@vondahl I will politely disagree. Someone might have talent, but it is unrefined at best. In order to break the rules of...

And I politely disagree with what you said. You remind me of my art and photography teacher, she goes over the 'rules' of art until it's ingrained for that class period only for our inspiration and creativity to be sucked out and we miss every change of a amazing photo due to those rules. To be well-acquainted withthe rules for art, you forget why you are do it to begin with since(For photography) you are so focused with lighting, center of focus, and so on. There are not rules to art, it is only practice until it is the best you can do and even then, you improve your own way. But that is only my thoughts and opinions.

@ScrewMidol And I politely disagree with what you said. You remind me of my art and photography teacher, she goes over the...

Once again, you're missing my point. Apparently we have different opinions on what's important when it comes to art.
As an artist myself, I personally think it's quite necessary to be aware of composition and lighting, etc. before you start deviating from those rules. Just because you have some guidelines doesn't mean you can't be creative.
I know what you mean with certain teachers DEMANDING that you follow the "rules," because I've had teachers like that and it sucks.
So, read between the lines and realize I'm not telling everyone to follow the damn rules or your art sucks. You're just misinterpreting my message.
My WHOLE point in making this post is because I get annoyed when people pat themselves on the back and call themselves artists when they couldn't tell you the first thing about shutter speed, or acrylic versus oil paint versus water color and the canvases you should use, or even the density of pencils, contrast, or ANYTHING.

I'm just saying, someone should know about what the hell they're doing before they label themselves.
I wouldn't call myself liberal or conservative before I knew what each party stood for.
I wouldn't call myself a Christian or a Jew or a Buddhist before I knew their beliefs and practices.
I wouldn't call myself a hunter without knowing a thing about bullets and guns and game.
I wouldn't call myself a doctor if I didn't know anything about medicine.
Therefore, someone shouldn't call themselves an artist without any prior knowledge of art.
See what I'm saying?
People do that are assholes.

@700453

No, I'm not saying that.

well put