+279

The people who want weed legalized are usually the same people who don't show up to school or don't do so well. The health effects may not be as bad as smoking, but there are definitely bigger social aspects/peer pressure to smoking weed compared to smoking cigarettes. amirite?

IAMSTORMs avatar
4 91
The voters have decided that IAMSTORM is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I know quite a few people who don't care about the legalization of marijuana, as long as it has the age limit, get taxed, can't be smoked in public places, etc. etc.
There are some health benefits if you're in excruciating pain, and it's not AS BAD as alcohol or tobacco. It's not exactly good, but it's not bad.
I haven't, don't, and won't smoke it, but I have no problem with it being legalized.
Also, if it's legalized, we can have fewer cops looking for pot dealers to focus on bigger issues, and we can get more tax for it

@700179

Exactly! It'd ease the burden on American taxpayers, too. And the tax dollars going to police offers to look for drugs could be used to catch legitimate bad guys

@700191

Maybe not -all- drugs. Some of them are pretty bad and dangerous. Weed isn't.

There are many hardworking and successful people that smoke marijuana regularly. There are also many people that dont smoke marijuana who would like to see it legalized. There are also people that smoke weed and get really good grades. Screw stereotypes.

@There are many hardworking and successful people that smoke marijuana regularly. There are also many people that...

Not stereotypes. I use my eyes. 99% of the kids who smoke weed in my area do terrible in school. No, it's not because they are addicted, they abuse it. They think 'oh, let's have some fun and smoke weed' and so they forget about school. You're examples are vague. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who get good grades don't smoke weed. Of course, your experiences differ from mine, but I stand by my opinion.

IAMSTORMs avatar IAMSTORM Yeah You Are +3Reply
@IAMSTORM Not stereotypes. I use my eyes. 99% of the kids who smoke weed in my area do terrible in school. No, it's not...

I smoke weed am I am on the deans list, I am a pretty good writer. I knew kids in my school that were fucking geniuses and they would get high before tests (i wont even go to school high). It is all about how the individual acts, if someone smokes weed and they become a fuck up-then its on that person not weed. weed is the scapegoat here. It so easy to get high and do your shit you need to do to be successful. Not everyone gets all lazy when they smoke. I have watched my BF get high and the proceed to clean his entire room, vacuuming included.... Oh yeah and while cops are spending all this time busting people for weed, someone somewhere is getting raped or shot so yeah.

OK I was vague in the beginning because its easier to start off that way and get into more detail so here we go...Using your eyes isnt good enough, you dont actually know those people-AND if someone was getting good grades and smoking pot you probly wouldnt know about it. I am not just talking about students, People with legitimate careers smoke weed and they are fine. When it comes to legalization, fact of the matter is ITS A WASTE OF OUR FUCKING MONEY TO PAY FOR COPS TO BUST PEOPLE WITH WEED. Its a waste of our taxmoney to incarcerate NON-VIOLENT marijuana users that dont need to be in jail. More lives are ruined because the ADVERSE EFFECTS OF PROHIBITION than marijuana itself. Prohibition is a fail cause. Regulation will make it harder for young people to obtain it. of Alcohol and ciggs are worse then weed, ciggs have shit added to them. weed does not. Being for marijuana legalization is NOT the same as wanting to be able to smoke it all the time

Do terrible in school? Don't you mean "terribly"? You're clearly a moron. I smoke weed and I am obviously much smater than you. I was in the top percentile nationwide for the PSAT and I get a full ride scholarship to most colleges because I was a semifinalist and wrote an essay to become a national merit scholarship finalist. I'm a near genius, and I smoke weed a couple times a week, you fucking idiot. Go die in a hole you asinine bigot.

That's like saying all Asians are bad drivers, or all black people are in a gang. The fact of the matter is you're a biased piece of shit. I live in Vancouver where it is pretty much legal anyways and most people here smoke weed. Were also home to one of the most prestigious universities in Canada where I know for a fact that my friends who go there smoke weed. Get your shit straight and stop making stupid assumptions, retard.

Did you really just imply that people can get addicted to marijuana? And just so you know, weed effects your lungs worse than cigarettes. Nearly double the amount of cancer causing carcenogens. You need to get your fucking facts straight before you go around making idiotic presumptions and ignorant posts.

@Did you really just imply that people can get addicted to marijuana? And just so you know, weed effects your lungs...

Omg you didn't read my comment. I said abuse not become addicted. There's a difference between the two. Don't bother commenting back if you didn't read the post or my comment properly.

IAMSTORMs avatar IAMSTORM Yeah You Are +2Reply

there has been studies about the effects of marijuana on a person's body. it doesn't "kill" your brain cells contrary to popular belief. it is NOT addictive unlike cigarettes. and no one has died from smoking weed (hundreds of people die from smoking cigarettes every year). i understand your opinion on this but i think that you shouldn't generalize people. it's probably because the weeders you know are abusive and are way in over their heads. but that's THEIR way of taking it, not everyone else's. just saying.

@700208

Ginger wasn't agreeing with the post. She was replying to someone else's comment. Hahahaha dumb shit.

I really don't think your argument should count for very much considering that prop 19 is for California and you live in Ohio.

@I really don't think your argument should count for very much considering that prop 19 is for California and you...

You obviously dont get that if prop 19 passes, it will affect things here in Ohio because people might lighten up about it. If it is successful then the dominoes will start to fall. We are trying to get medical marijuana here now.

Little do you people know is that a recent study has shown that weed has the potential to kill cancerous cells, cure Alzheimer's and much much more.

@Angelic_dude Little do you people know is that a recent study has shown that weed has the potential to kill cancerous cells...

People who make this argument dont know anything, it would be the same as alcohol, the same people who would drive drunk are the same who would drive high. I smoke weed and i get straight A's

@TheTall123 People who make this argument dont know anything, it would be the same as alcohol, the same people who would drive...

well there are actual studies towards marijuana killing certain cancer cells. Also, driving high is still not as dangerous as driving drunk.

Okay, your argument is quite ridiculous. This is a complete stereotype, the only reason you don't notice that other people smoke weed is because they are able to live a healthy stable and successful life while smoking, some of the most influential people in life do smoke weed.
You are ignorant to think that all smokers are low lifes.

Renegade: you're brilliant, and you know exactly what you're talking about.

Did it ever occur to any of you propoganda-followers that the reason why you rarely hear about average, hard-working people who smoke pot is because they have to hide what they do in order to keep their happy, average lives? Do you think these people go advertising their leisure habits to random teenagers? Kids smoking pot are just as dumb as kids doing other stupid shit. NO ONE ADVOCATING LEGALIZATION IS SUPPORTING USE BY UNDERAGE INDIVIDUALS. Most people in high school don't have the dicipline, self-control, and maturity to handle things like drinking and smoking pot in moderation. The ones who do aren't the idiot burnouts you're talking about... once again, because they have the presence of mind to realize being up front about it can ruin their lives... make it hard to get unto college or a job, and give you a "drug offender" stigma for the rest of your life. Marijuana is a NON-TOXIC PLANT that n...

@Black_No_1 Renegade: you're brilliant, and you know exactly what you're talking about. Did it ever occur to any of you...

Thanks haha yeah I agree with everything your saying pretty much. A friend of mine got denied a great job because of stuff on his record, and it sucks because he is a good hard working individual. Having marijuana regulated would protect responsible users from the bad stigma. I am pretty sure it wold protect people from drug tests at work too. I also saw an article on norml about how drug testing has no real affect in the workplace. The compounds usually detected in marijuana tests are not the psychoactive ones.

I don't think it should be legalized, and I know there are people who do drugs that aren't freaking retarded, but I still will never like being around potheads.

Daemoines avatar Daemoine Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Daemoine I don't think it should be legalized, and I know there are people who do drugs that aren't freaking retarded, but I...

Potheads? Wow, really? I hope you will learn that people aren't defined by one small thing they occasionally do. Just because I do well on tests doesn't make me a nerd. I am much more than that. I am also an athlete and on student government...and I smoke pot. By calling people who sometimes smoke pot "potheads" and saying that you never want to be around them is acting like that's all they are. And that's a horrible thing to say. You have much to learn, my stereotyping friend.

I graduated this past May from my school with honors. I never missed school because of weed, went to classes high on very regular cases and didn't fuck up. I now have a stable, well-paying job. Saying that potheads are lazy or screw up is like if I said "All black people live in the ghettos and do drugs" or " All white people are hillbilly, sister-fuckers and live in the boonies". Just because that's what you SEE doesn't make it TRUE. Weed should be legalized for so many reasons: safety, taxes from the regulated product, health benefits. Show me someone who got cancer or got hurt because of weed. And not from gang violence/drug deals because that's something that won't be there if it's legalized.

@PKMNTrainer I graduated this past May from my school with honors. I never missed school because of weed, went to classes high...

Exactly, Gangs who sell it then get funding to buy dangerous things suchas guns or hardcore drugs

The only reason I want it legal is because of prohibition. Like did we not learn from that? People are going to jail for SMOKING pot, not even selling it. And the gov is complaining there is not enough jail space

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +4Reply
@Pug The only reason I want it legal is because of prohibition. Like did we not learn from that? People are going to...

yep and it costs something like 50$ a day to keep a person in jail, think of how much money we are wasting on non-violent marijuana users

Stop acting like weed is such a bad thing, alcohol is way worse but that's legal.
And weed only makes people stupid when they come to school high, in moderation it is alright.

Seriously, its just a plant, its not like we're talking about legalizing meth or something. So smoke a fat ass blunt and calm the fuck downn(:

Why is everyone sharing their personal achievements? How do we know you are telling the truth anyways? I think we all know very well that people who smoke weed fail at a higher rate than non-smokers. I would like to know specific people who smoke weed on a regular basis that are successful and not in the music/Hollywood industry.

@LAKERSoverHEAT Why is everyone sharing their personal achievements? How do we know you are telling the truth anyways? I think we...

That's probably because idiots are more likely to smoke than intelligent people, but that doesn't mean that weed CAUSES people to be idiots, you dumbass. There isn't a direct correlation.

@LAKERSoverHEAT It causes bad habits. Yeah, there isn't proof of this, but it's pretty apparent.

No, it is not apparent. There may be correlation between the two, but not causation. It hasn't been proven because there is no proof.

There are many hardworking and successful people (not just in the entertainment industry) that smoke pot. You just obviously do not want to believe that but it is true. There are high class businesswomen in NYC that would rather go home and smoke a doob than go out for a martini. Everyone is stating their achievements because they are breaking your sterotypes

@There are many hardworking and successful people (not just in the entertainment industry) that smoke pot. You just...

Maybe there is. Even if there is a hardworking pot smoker, there is the guy who doesn't do pot that is working harder because of it. They could be lying about their achievements and no one is truly going to believe them. They aren't breaking shit, the vast majority of pot smokers are still fuck ups. You obviously do not want to believe that but it is true.

@LAKERSoverHEAT Maybe there is. Even if there is a hardworking pot smoker, there is the guy who doesn't do pot that is working...

Just because a person smokes pot does not mean that they are working less hard. There are indeed people that waste their lives getting high, but there are a lot of people that can enjoy getting a buzz in the evening responsibly. Why the fuck would someone lie about their own personal achievements? "No one is truly going to believe them" There are people out there that you would never guess smokes pot, some of us are smart and dont share that information with every person we meet. YOU obviously dont want to accept that not every single pot smoker is inferior to you.

@Just because a person smokes pot does not mean that they are working less hard. There are indeed people that waste...

I never said that, but a majority of pot smokers are inferior. The reason why they would lie is because they want to disprove the stereotype. It may not be fact, but it damn sure does make people work with less effort.

@LAKERSoverHEAT I never said that, but a majority of pot smokers are inferior. The reason why they would lie is because they want...

You really dont get it. It all depends on the INDIVIDUAL and not the weed. Yes, many INDIVIDUALS get high and slack off/half ass shit. Some of us know better and dont get high before school/work and save it for the evenings. If you are not high while you are at school/work then you should work better. But there are in fact people who work better while high. My friend is a union plumber and he works with heavy/dangerous materials. His hands are shaky when he is not high, but when he is he can work steadier. If the pot smoking INDIVIDUAL has the drive to put fourth a lot of effort-then they can do so.

Nah, I don't smoke weed and I want it legalized. So... no. Post = false.

I want it legalized, and I go to school every day like a normal person, and get A's. I know two people who smoke weed, and they show up to school every day and get good grades...

I am a marijuana user and I am proud of it! Not everyone who uses it is a complete moron. It hits people in different ways, and I personally think that people who say that their addicted to marijuana are fucking retarded. I apologize if I've offended anyone with that. And by saying that all the potheads ditch school, and are trouble makers is like saying all black people are crack heads and own guns. No offense once again. PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT.

The Beatles.

I don't believe this needs an explanation

@patrickmajor The Beatles suck ass

Why are they still so popular then?

@patrickmajor The Beatles suck ass

your opinion of their music has nothing to do with it. what kind of music do you like? im willing to bet that they've influenced it in some way. the revolutionized the music industry. like them or not, there's no denying what they've done for music.

I've never smoked weed in my life, but everyone has a right to do what they want, just like with cigarettes or alcohol. If you don't agree with it, then you don't have to do it. It isn't hurting you for other people you've never met to get high.

The reason most non-pot smokers want it legalized is because it will prevent gangs who sell drugs. If it's not illegal, it's easy to get which means all those gangs will be out of buisness. If you want to smoke pot or whatever, that's your own responsibility. Most people just want to reduce violence in their community.

@LAKERSoverHEAT What? this makes no sense.

I'll help clarify since you cant understand anything: Since weed is illegal, it gets to most people via gangs/cartels. If it was regulated/taxed by the government, people would be getting it in a government regulated store-not some thug in an alley. It would put the cartels out of business and reduce gang violence.

@I'll help clarify since you cant understand anything: Since weed is illegal, it gets to most people via...

That has to be the dumbest theory I have ever heard. Gang violence would definitely happen at the same rate because people would have even more of a reason to steal.

@LAKERSoverHEAT That has to be the dumbest theory I have ever heard. Gang violence would definitely happen at the same rate because...

Well at least the police would be spending more time catching the thieves. So what, you would rather fund drug cartels than not fund them? There is more to it than that.
You still need to get informed
Go to NORML.org and read some of the stuff about prop 19, prohibition is a fail cause. It takes away all control and giving that control to the cartels. If prop 19 passes, the cartels would no longer be in control.

The only reason I think it should be legalized is to purge unnecessary people from the prison systems; too many people are sent to jail for possessing weed, and the illegality of it makes violent organizations get involved in getting it, it's just messy.

Otherwise I find no other reason to legalize it. I've known people who, shall we say, haven't exactly benefited from it.

I dunno. I'm just sick of hearing about it now. Stoners have a habit of talking about it obsessively, it gets very tedious.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are +1Reply

I completely disagree with this statement.
I can name many people who have gone far in life, and smoke pot.
Your argument is invalid.

Stereotype for sure... Most everyone I know smokes and they do and did good in school academic scholarships and if you met them you would never think they were potheads.. By the way Abraham Lincoln smoked weed and he was no slacker..

@forever27 Stereotype for sure... Most everyone I know smokes and they do and did good in school academic scholarships and if...

some people are in denial man. they just cant accept the fact that someone can smoke weed and do just as well, if not better than them in life. These are the people that like to find ways to push others down pretty much.

@some people are in denial man. they just cant accept the fact that someone can smoke weed and do just as well, if...

You're exactly right, these people would be surprised to know that they probably know a bunch of pothead and have no idea. I wonder if their veiw on them would change if they were to find out?

I'm in three ap classes have almost all a's, I'm involved with school sports and other extra cicicular actovites, and I think marijuana should be legalized. I don't personally smoke but I know people that do that are completly usccessful in life and it's not my right to tell them what they can and cannot do

@I agree with you but seriously learn how to spell.

I believe it would be learn to type, they have all of the proper letters as far as i could see with a quick skim

Sorry It was a combination of autocorrection failure and rushing. I'm usually not that bad

I smoke marijuana two or three times a week, and I've been on the honor role for three years, I play two competitive rep sports, and have a very stable relationship with all of my friends, there's no fighting, arguing or anything. The kids who smoke all day and do shit in school, if you can remember, probably did shit in school before they started using drugs. My marks have actually improved since I started, and this post is a maaassive stereotype.

I go to school everyday and I have straight A's. Explain how I'm the same person who doesn't go to school or doesn't do well.

I heard a story someone told me. They said how their grandfather walked into a store and everyone was buying cigarretes. He told them, "Why you buying cigarretes, you all are going to die someday!" and the people in the store laughed and told him off, but every single person in that store died of lung cancer. They didn't realize how bad smoking was for them back then, they though it was safe, but it turned out to be very bad for their health, but no one knew that. Maybe weed will turn out to be terrible for you, too, but we just don't know it yet.

@I heard a story someone told me. They said how their grandfather walked into a store and everyone was buying...

well, legal or not people are going to smoke pot. There are people now that have been smoking pot for years. Inhaling any kind of smoke is bad for your lungs but marijuana does not have a bunch of chemicals in it that cause cancer. Studies have shown that THC actually controls/prevents certain cancer cells (i am in no way saying that marijuana prevents cancer, just stating the studies) Also there are other ways to consume marijuana besides smoking: vaporizing-you get pure thc and no plant matter , there is no real combustion so its not like smoking it-probly the cleanest way to inhale thc. It can be made into food, it will get you high and provide a high fiber snack rich in omega 3s....yep

*affects

@*affects

No, it's effects. 'Affects' is a verb, 'effects' is a noun

@omnomnom No, it's effects. 'Affects' is a verb, 'effects' is a noun

Not really. Both "affect" and "effect" are verbs and nouns. The usage it's tricky, though. Merriam-Webster has a video about it.

@Not really. Both "affect" and "effect" are verbs and nouns. The usage it's tricky, though. Merriam-Webster has a...

Really? My English teachers have failed me on that question!
But to me 'effect' sounds more natural in this case.

Though, I guess, it would sound more natural if I had thought it was correct for my whole life...

@700211

It's hard for me to believe that you're really this stupid. So pathetic.

@700211

To clarify: it's effects in this context. But if you actually think they're interchangable, you're insane.

I'm not going to say all, but yes most. Every single person i've met that smokes (on a regular basis) are fucking idiots. But not everrry one is like that. But I still think it's a bad idea for it to be legalized..

@you mean "is a fucking idiot." you have just been intellectually burned by a pot smoker.

Nice. I didn't say every person who smokes pot IS a fucking idiot. I said every person I have met that smokes is an idiot. And it was one grammar mistake, big deal.

@409inyourcoffeemaker I'm not going to say all, but yes most. Every single person i've met that smokes (on a regular basis) are fucking...

So you are cool with your tax money being wasted to bust non-violent marijuana smokers when someone somwhere else could be getting raped or killed?

@So you are cool with your tax money being wasted to bust non-violent marijuana smokers when someone somwhere else...

I'm not going to have some big discussion on this.. It's not like I can vote on it, and I just think it's a bad idea for it to be legalized. It's just my opinion and I don't feel like arguing about it.