+167

Why do some artists get so angry when people download their music for free? Oh, you can't buy that mansion that's a little bit bigger than your other ten? Poor baby! I have to choose between buying your cd's or buying groceries! Amirite?

dallas_xo23s avatar
12 29
The voters have decided that dallas_xo23 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well then, if you will just buy one and steal the other, buy the cd for once and steal the groceries. It's only fair.

Myranias avatar Myrania No Way +27Reply

i like how, by our logic, because somebody has more money than you, they deserve it less than you. the stupidest argument one can put up is that because they already have so much money, they don't deserve to be paid for any future work they do. artists put effort into making music that people think is good enough to put their hard earned money into, by downloading it, it's like stealing a McDonald's burger because they have enough other customers. this stealing only works because in the online world, everybody thinks they are invincible behind their moniters.

mr_es avatar mr_e No Way +24Reply
@mr_e i like how, by our logic, because somebody has more money than you, they deserve it less than you. the stupidest...

Because the CD store cannot still sell the CD to someone else, so online is literally half as bad. You steal one thing if you go online, but at a store you steal one thing AND prevent its sale.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply
@B10ckH34d Because the CD store cannot still sell the CD to someone else, so online is literally half as bad. You steal one...

by arguing that it is okay to download music without paying for it, you are literally preventing milllions of sales a day. the amount of people willing to steal in real life is dwarfed by comparison to those who would do it online. secondly, this isn't a reasonable argument at all. if you get arrested, they won't charge you with 2 thefts, one of you stealing AND of preventing a sale.

mr_es avatar mr_e No Way 0Reply

I think it's wrong, but since I wont get caught (the police only look for the original uploaders, not the downloaders) I do it anyway. Partly because my parents don't let me spend 'my' money.

@B10ckH34d I think it's wrong, but since I wont get caught (the police only look for the original uploaders, not the...

then i've brought to a point of sensibility where you realize what you are doing shouldn't be acceptable by society, and if it wasn't for the mere difference of the internet, you wouldn't do this because it is wrong. good discussion, gives me hope that the shield of anonomity isn't a complete murderer of human thoughts.

mr_es avatar mr_e No Way 0Reply

It won't improve their lives. Their bank accounts are practically too big. If such a thing exists, theirs would be good examples. If I had fifty mil in excess, an extra ten bucks wouldn't improve my life because I already have more than I know what to do with. If I made ten mil a year, but should be getting 20mil, I wouldn't be mad about it because I already have pretty much all I want and I need like 5mil to keep up my lifestyle. Any more is extra and I would probably donate it to charity.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -1Reply
@B10ckH34d It won't improve their lives. Their bank accounts are practically too big. If such a thing exists, theirs would be...

the fact that you said that if you were making 10 million when you should be making twice that wouldn't infuriate you is beyond ridiculous. and that's what is happening with each "ten bucks" being taken away. no matter how they use it, if they want to donate it to charity, or if they want to hoard for the rest of their lives, the basic premise of your argument doesn't make sense. it's a service. just like any other. if you can't afford it, you don't get it. people seem to believe that just because the crime is happening online, it isn't as serious. you wouldn't walk into a music store, pick up a CD, tell the cashier you aren't paying because the artist doesn't need your money and then leave with it. why is this any different?

mr_es avatar mr_e No Way +7Reply

It's not that they don't deserve it. They do. They just shouldn't complain about not getting it. Need=/=deserve, so you can deserve something, but if you don't ned it, or if it really wouldn't improve your life, quit bitching if you don't get it.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -5Reply
@B10ckH34d It's not that they don't deserve it. They do. They just shouldn't complain about not getting it. Need=/=deserve, so...

of course it would improve their lives, and in their own way, they need every dollar. celebrities live a certain way because they have to in order to maintain a public identity that we expect from our entertainers. if celebrities don't put on a show of how much money they have people automatically think that the product that they are trying to sell is so subpar that they can't make a living from it. you think people like Jay-Z tip things like 50 000 for fun? it's to keep up appearance. and in any case your argument is flawed because like any other service, you get what you pay for, no more no less.

mr_es avatar mr_e No Way 0Reply

So basically, stealing is OK as long as its from rich people.

Not all artists are rich. But I agree with you if were talkin about artists like Katy perry or something.

It's probably because some of those artists actually work to make their music (ie write the song, make the beats, etc) for your entertainment and people are just taking it for free. But I agree. There are enough people out there still buying to keep them living the life they do.

Taters avatar Tater Yeah You Are +9Reply

They don't really make much money from their music. They mostly get their money from tours and merch.

MusicIsMySaviors avatar MusicIsMySavior Yeah You Are +7Reply
@MusicIsMySavior They don't really make much money from their music. They mostly get their money from tours and merch.

Vets want money? They should be happy fulfilling their dreams of helping sick animals, not worrying about money!

Vets don't usually have that much excess money. When you have excess, you shouldn't bitch about having less excess.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +5Reply

All the more reason not to be upset about it :)
besides, you think they'd just be happy that they're living their dream of being a famous music artist, rather than caring so much about money!

dallas_xo23s avatar dallas_xo23 Yeah You Are +4Reply

They got rich because people bought their music. If everyone downloaded it for free, they wouldn't be where they are now.

Maybe one person downloading it for free isn't so damaging, but think about it - you're not the only one illegally downloading it. If every song cost $0.99, then if one million people illegally download it, that's nearly $1mil gone.

@turnip They got rich because people bought their music. If everyone downloaded it for free, they wouldn't be where they...

Actually, sometimes pirated music actually helps the artist. Very little by comparison is made from album sales, but rather advertising and concerts. You can't pirate a concert and the ads come with fame, which gets more with more people listening to your music, which more people will do if it's free.

If you couldn't afford groceries, how could you afford a computer/ipod?

@If you couldn't afford groceries, how could you afford a computer/ipod?

OYu can afford groceries, but not if there's a continual outflow of money for music.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +1Reply

The idea that all musicians are rich is idiotic. Your average touring band or artist that isn't Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Jay-Z, Kanye, etc is FAR from rich. If you think about it, they tour for a living which isn't a "real" job. They don't get benefits that a lot of people who hold a normal job do. The band/record company has to pay for venues, supplies, the equiptmwnt, and everything that they have to pay for comes out of the money that they make touring. Then you have to split the resulting money between at least 3 people + record company, but there are usually more band members. It doesn't come out to a lot. I read somewhere that it comes out to like $30,000 a year or something like that. So yeah, there are excessively rich musicians who can afford you to steal their music (though it doesn't make it right) but most of the musicians you're stealing from may make less than your family does in a year.

This is why I like people who release their music etc. independently with no big labels. Jim Gaffigan and Louis C.K. released their latest specials online for $5, and instead of having to pay off the record companies etc. pretty much all the money goes to the artist.

More money for the artist, less cost for you...it's a win-win.

Another example is Trent Reznor releasing a NIN album for free on his website, some musicians aren't greedy.

I agree that it's stupid that they get mad about it, but your argument is a bad one.

How has no one mentioned that south park episode yet?

If you can't afford music then don't buy it. Just don't steal it either.

Anonymous