+483

We should use orphans as seeing-eye children for the blind; it gives them a home, a job and a sense of purpose, amirite?

Sullys avatar
6 31
The voters have decided that Sully is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This is the greatest idea ever!

So... instead of providing orphans with homes, loving families and a normal childhood, we should put them to work with people who may or may not be nice people? No offence, but its a ridiculous idea.

Yorkies avatar Yorkie No Way +6Reply
@Yorkie So... instead of providing orphans with homes, loving families and a normal childhood, we should put them to work...

Well I'd say due to current working regulations, this idea pertains to those who are at least 16 and are capable of making correct moral decisions. So basically you are looking at 2 years worth of working until they turn 18 and are therefore free to take on the world. Think these things out, I can't fit all the details in my actual post.

Sullys avatar Sully Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Sully Well I'd say due to current working regulations, this idea pertains to those who are at least 16 and are capable of...

At aged sixteen they should be in higher education or starting work, not working as 'seeing eye children'.

@Yorkie At aged sixteen they should be in higher education or starting work, not working as 'seeing eye children'.

And I they are not in your said situation, would it be safe to say, with the childs consent, that helping the blind be a reasonable idea?

Sullys avatar Sully Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Sully And I they are not in your said situation, would it be safe to say, with the childs consent, that helping the blind...

If a sixteen year old wasn't in the said situation, shouldn't the focus be on GETTING them into education or work? Guide dogs are a good way of helping the blind, why fix something that's not broken?

And the blind can understand children better than German Shepherds...

ThisIsIllegals avatar ThisIsIllegal Yeah You Are +5Reply
@ThisIsIllegal And the blind can understand children better than German Shepherds...

Exactly, and they can share some normal human interaction. Plus no more having to deal with trying to pick up after their dog, because how do they know where it is?

Sullys avatar Sully Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Sully Exactly, and they can share some normal human interaction. Plus no more having to deal with trying to pick up after...

And the government won't have to spend millions of dollars on training seeing eye dogs!

ThisIsIllegals avatar ThisIsIllegal Yeah You Are +3Reply

Except that they'd probably suck at it, or not be trustworthy... I can see an old blind lady being ran over because her seeing eye son was watching his PSP or something.

@saturnlite88 Except that they'd probably suck at it, or not be trustworthy... I can see an old blind lady being ran over because...

There would be an obvious filtering process to GED good ones. It's like becoming a Navy seal, you have to be good

@Sully There would be an obvious filtering process to GED good ones. It's like becoming a Navy seal, you have to be good

Haha, orphan boot camp. If you pass, you can help the blind. This is a very random and weird post.

@saturnlite88 Haha, orphan boot camp. If you pass, you can help the blind. This is a very random and weird post.

Exactly. I thought that's what this site was for, posting random ideas you have.

Wow watching your PSP you must really suck if you just decide to give up and watch the game unfold.

I feel bad for the blind guy who gets stuck with a rotten, directionally-challenged, psychopathic child.

What about a blind orphan child?

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Thomas What about a blind orphan child?

Don't worry they get one too

Sullys avatar Sully Yeah You Are +3Reply

Why does it just have to be orphans? I have parents and I still need a job.

You should have rephrased this post. It sounds like your saying that we should force all orphan children to be "seeing eye children" and not pay them for it.

@Clementines You should have rephrased this post. It sounds like your saying that we should force all orphan children to be...

Yeah I suppose I could see that being an issue, but those who read into the comments will figure it out. I have faith in our generation, very little, but enough to hope they figure it out.

wouldn't they be too busy with school and jobs to do this? seeing-eye is a 24/7 job. kids wouldn't be able to handle that.

@rowanne wouldn't they be too busy with school and jobs to do this? seeing-eye is a 24/7 job. kids wouldn't be able to...

But they're orphans... Maybe I'm just horribly misinformed, but don't orphans just live in orphanages, and never go to proper school or have a job, until they're legally adults and can leave?

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Rainbow35 But they're orphans... Maybe I'm just horribly misinformed, but don't orphans just live in orphanages, and never go...

what? no. they're still children and legally bound to get an education (in America at least). they're either sent to public school or teachers come there and home school them. haha, orphans are just foster kids; they do the exact same thing other kids do except they live in a foster home... it's not like they sit around doing nothing until they're adults.

If I was an orphan, I'd totally do that. Get paid to make sure some lady doesn't get hit by traffic? Hell. Yes.

And would the blind person then become the legal guardian of the orphan? What would the age requirements be? I'm not completely sure, but I think there would be opposition of a disabled person to become the guardian of an almost capable child? (depends on the childs age)

@And would the blind person then become the legal guardian of the orphan? What would the age requirements be? I'm...

I'd say due to child labor laws, I think most places require you to be a least 16 or maybe 15 with a workers permit. And other than that, I don't see why they wouldn't take guardianship, the two individuals will no doubt form a strong relationship do to the dependency they have on each other. And of course when the child turns 18 they are a legal adult and can feel free to move on. This would open the door for more orphans to take part in this. There just seems so different ways to go about it.

@Sully I'd say due to child labor laws, I think most places require you to be a least 16 or maybe 15 with a workers...

If the blind person is their guardian, the child doesn't have to be 16 years old to work. It would be like their task, to take care of mom/dad.

I love how people are taking this seriously and debating the pros and cons of the idea.

@Amish_Allosaurus I love how people are taking this seriously and debating the pros and cons of the idea.

haha i know, it was just a random idea I had after watching a guide dog lead their blind owner into a street sign on campus. But I suppose its not too far-fetched