+30

Okay, teacher. I know that being a teacher really can be energy-draining and difficult, but stop acting like you don't have vacation time. You get summer break, winter break, spring break, all of the holidays, and [depending on where you live] snow days. As far as days off go, you're doing pretty well, amirite?

Katffros avatar Education
0 10
The voters have decided that Katffro is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Sure, but exactly the same can be said about the students.

@Katffro True, true. But we don't get paid :P

Yeah, but you also don't have to go to school after a certain age. Also, they're there for the students.

Well it is annoying when they complain about energy draining, but hey unless they're teaching elementary teachers really have work throughout the breaks, and its not like they teach and thats it, they usually attend board meetings, are part of the teachers union which have gatherings, and use up a lot of students vacation time to catch up and organize the crapload of stuff they have haha.

@rockerman1080 Well it is annoying when they complain about energy draining, but hey unless they're teaching elementary teachers...

They only work through breaks if they assign a lot of work, or completely scrap their lesson plans from the year before.
I'm now sure about other schools, but mine doesn't have a lot of board meetings [maybe 10-15 a year, tops]
And they only work 7 hrs a day. They get home at around 3 because most of them don't stay after, and since most of the tests are purely scantrons, they don't have to grade.
Teaching really can be time-consuming/energy-consuming, but considering the factors, they do get a LOT of vacation time.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Katffro They only work through breaks if they assign a lot of work, or completely scrap their lesson plans from the year...

Hmm, i don't know about your school and teachers, but many of my teachers don't just go home when we do, many of them stay at school to do unfinished work and, well i don't know what they do but i'm pretty sure it's work because otherwise they would just go home. All in all, I do agree teachers total time off is significantly greater but hey they also have a shitty salary, and currently the educational system is really eff'd up so I do sort of feel remorse for them.

I know right!! I work full time, and I get 2 weeks off for the year! stop fkn complaining!!

ms_amber_626s avatar ms_amber_626 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Umm... No. You are so far off base it's not even funny. Apparently you don't live with one. They spend most of the weekends, breaks and "holidays" preparing tests, assignments, projects, and trying to figure out what to do with certain students. They are vastly underpaid for their work. And think about it, they are only paid for the work they do at the school, not all the work they do at home. They are always stressed about state delivered tests and hoping that their students will perform well. Please don't judge people's unless you have walked a mile in their shoes.

@Umm... No. You are so far off base it's not even funny. Apparently you don't live with one. They spend most of the...

Out of all of the teachers I've had in my 10 years of schooling, only a few made their own tests. The others were taken from the book, taken from other teachers, or found on the internet. The projects aren't vastly complex, they have the same rubric every time.
And students also spend their breaks doing schoolwork that teachers assigned, except students have a week to do their project and teachers have until the grades are due [2.5 months per quarter for my school, probably different elsewhere]
Some teachers genuinely put in 100% and work hard and probably deserve more, but teachers complain about absolutely no free time all the time are just irksome.

Become a teacher then complain. My mom's a teacher and she works her ass off. She works harder than me, and I'm a grad student with 2 part time jobs.