+229

People who are rabidly against spanking children are only against it because they're still children themselves. Look at the generations. Your parents/grandparents are well disciplined and, for the most part, respectful; and the children you see now are hyperactive little jagoffs. amirite?

Gadsbys avatar
7 36
The voters have decided that Gadsby is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I agree with this post, but when I was a child my parents would just scold me and that was discipline enough. It seems like now days instead of spanking kids, parents are taking them to doctors so they can be diagnosed and given medication that will calm them down. If you ask me, that sounds more like abuse than spanking.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +39Reply

When my mom was a little kid her family lived in the ghetto and my grandfather would kick any of the kids' ass when they wouldn't say exactly where they were going or came in late. The fear of my grandfather is the only thing that kept my mom and her siblings away from gangs and drugs.

Sadies avatar Sadie Yeah You Are +15Reply
@Gadsby I would very much love to meet your grandfather.

Hahaha. He has mellowed over the years. Off subject, but he wears the same outfit everyday. If you open his closet you'll find a whole row of the same shirts and pants- I think that's pretty freakin' awesome.

Sadies avatar Sadie Yeah You Are +25Reply

No shit little shitheads are hyperactive little jagoffs. Every generation of little shitheads is hyperactive. Last time we worried about the generation being hyperactive, we got children addicted to Ritalin.

My brother is the most respectful, disciplined 14-year-old that I've ever met, and no one ever hit him. Yelling does the job, you don't have to physically abuse children to discipline them. As I see it, spanking only harms the relationship between kids and parents.

@My brother is the most respectful, disciplined 14-year-old that I've ever met, and no one ever hit him. Yelling...

Spanking isn't always abuse though, there's a line somewhere. Obviously if you spanked a kid for like two hours straight with a burning frying pan or something, that would be bad.
But a smack on the butt, just once when they aren't responding to anything else you've tried? That's not abuse, it's discipline. Especially if nothing else is working, they need to be taught to behave some way.

I was spanked/hit with the belt all the time when I was a kid. Honestly I don't think it did me any good.

Paigeperkkks avatar Paigeperkkk Yeah You Are +8Reply

Yelling often doesn't work for younger children. In fact, yelling usually only works if they were disciplined well enough as a young child (i.e. by spanking). Otherwise, being shouted at only encourages the child to be stealthier at what they do.

In fact, a recent argument about terrorism plays into this. Someone argued against the killing of Bin Laden, and someone else responded that we couldn't let them get away with just a slap on the hand. There needs to be a lesson.

Children need spankings. It is as simple as that.

@Gadsby Quite right.

It's weird to think about how would people act if we did not have this proper form of discipline, I would have to say.

@It's weird to think about how would people act if we did not have this proper form of discipline, I would have to say.

if you really want to know what that's like, then all you have to do is go to a kid friendly public place, and look around

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Children need spankings. It is as simple as that.

But not always. In my opinion, spanking should be somewhere near a last resort. I have nothing against it, but I think people would be better only doing it if they've tried at least a couple of other things, and the kid just refuses to co-operate.

My parents never spanked me. The most punishment I ever got was being sent to my room, where I would play with my toys. I got away with a lot of crap because I knew I could. Kids can get desensitized to being yelled at really easily, they just tune you out and go back to what they were doing. If my kids are really bad like some of the brats I've had in daycare then I'm going to spank them. It's not abuse, it's teaching them that when they do bad things they have to deal with the consequences.

I think different kids need to be dealt with differently. some kids will stop acting up if you yell or send them to their room, and some need to be spanked. I was only spanked maybe twice, and I am very respectful. Some people I know really should get disciplined more. It depends on the person.

Meh, I've never been hit or yelled at and I turned out alright. My mom just threatened to send me to bording (Borading? whatever) school ;) Straightened me right up!

You've got your comparison all wrong. You don't see old people running around like headless chickens because they are OLD, not necessarily because they were raised differently.

I was never hit or spanked and I turned out well. I think I was only ever "sent to my room" once or twice. My older brother was treated the same way and he had big anger issues. People are just different.

Having said that, I think hitting your kids WILL affect their behaviour, but in a negative way.

@You've got your comparison all wrong. You don't see old people running around like headless chickens because they...

I have to disagree with you on that last point. Spanking kids does not affect them negatively, abuse does. If you're giving your kid a "spanking" with a 2x4 because they didn't say please, that's abuse. If you spank your kid with your hand or (on a very rare instance) a belt because they got in trouble at school, that's discipline.

I was spanked as a kid, but only when I got in trouble in school. Which didn't happen often. One because I was a good student to begin with, and two because I was afraid of being spanked. Not of my parents, mind you. I adored my mom and dad and still do. Spanking is just a form of discipline. The kids barely remember it. I sure don't remember mine at all.

Wikits avatar Wikit Yeah You Are +3Reply

When you do good things out of fear, you might as well not do them at all.

@T3canolis When you do good things out of fear, you might as well not do them at all.

Younger children don't understand anything BUT fear. The point of physical punishment is to let them know that what they are doing is not acceptable. Later, they should be able to know why it is that what they are doing is unacceptable, and by that point physical abuse should be rare or nonexistent, because the child will respond more to being shouted at or even just reprimanded.

NiceBoulders avatar NiceBoulder Yeah You Are +4Reply

I was spanked but only when i was so young i can barely remember, but i can remember what most kept me good was watching my older brother get into bigger trouble and more punishment, but my cousin was hit with a belt and he's still a troublemaker so i think it depends on more than just the punishment

@1225145

Well, it's a punishment/discipline thing. :P
Being put on a time out, or grounded, or made clean your room could be interpreted as demeaning, and I doubt the kid would suddenly respect their parents after any of those punishments, either. :P
Spanking would (most likely) make the kid think, "I don't like that, I don't want it to happen again. It happened because I [did something bad]. I shouldn't do that again!". Or at least, that's the idea.

@1225145

Even if that's true, if the child is being a brat, not listening to the parents instructions no mattter what is said or done, then he doesn't deserve respect, he deserves a whooping.

@1225147

repeat it more please

Predys avatar Predy Yeah You Are +17Reply

Jagoff? Are you from Pittsburgh? haha

lauren4004s avatar lauren4004 Yeah You Are 0Reply

My dad only spanked me once and apparently it was so bad(I can't remember it) that I haven't done anything worth being punished over since then. My mom on the other hand punishes me everytime I do something wrong and I still don't listen to her most of the time.

Mhmmms avatar Mhmmm Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's not a matter of how your raised, it is your actions and how you choose to behave.

@It's not a matter of how your raised, it is your actions and how you choose to behave.

And if you're never disciplined for bad behavior, you will choose to behave the same way you were earlier because you feel there are no consequences for their actions. That's simple 10th grade psychology/sociology.

Gadsbys avatar Gadsby Yeah You Are +21Reply