+347

Tons of kids are bullied everyday for their beliefs and just who they are. straight people commit suicide too, yet as soon as a few homosexuals take their own life, let's make a national wear purple day and have it be top story headline junk for a month! amirite?

9 58

I think it's just because being straight is accepted, but being gay is not (in general.) They make a huge deal of it because people are bullied for being gay but they a not bullied for being straight. I reckon they also want to emphasise the fact that bullying someone for being gay is an attack on all gays collectively. It's something to help get their whole message across.

"I work at a dog shelter on weekends."

"OH I GET IT, I GUESS THAT MEANS YOU HATE CATS, HUH? I GUESS YOU'VE GOT A PROBLEM WITH ALL THE CATS THAT GO HUNGRY AND STARVE EVERY DAY? WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A CAT SHELTER, HUH? WHY CAN'T YOU DEDICATE YOUR TIME TO HELPING CATS, HUH? THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!"

"There's a cat shelter across the street. There's one down town. And another on Main Street. I set up this dog shelter because I can relate to dogs. I know how to care for them. I grew up in a household full of dogs. It's not that I hate cats, or don't want to help them. I just think that due to my particular experiences, my resources would better go towards helping dogs. Is that so wrong?"

Let's just not support anyone and then everyone can be equally fucked.

Actually that day was to stand up against bullying in general it was in honor of the six kids that killed themselves due to being bullied for being gay, but still purple is the cause color for physical mental and cyber bullying.

Gay teenagers are more likely to commit suicide than straight teenagers, that's why it is such a big deal. The whole Wear Purple Day thing was not just about suicide, but about being more accepting of gay teenagers and drawing attention to how much more they get bullied than straight teenagers. No on is saying that the Gay cause is more important, just that it is an issue that hasn't been given much attention.

Well no one has organized a national day for that yet... Just because there is a day for gays doesn't mean there can't be a day for other people.

I don't personally support gay marriage, but I'm generally opposed to bullying and I'm certainly not a homophobe. I wish there was a way that I could show that I'm apalled that people bullied these teens to the point of suicide, but I still want to abode by my personal moral views.

MobyRichards avatar MobyRichard Yeah You Are +2Reply

Thank. You.

So many umbrages, sheesh!

Teen suicide rates have always been higher for gay teens. Being gay is something essential to your identity as a human being, and many of them hide it from view. A lot of teenagers don't know how to deal with that. I don't see it as invalidating straight teen suicides. Rather, I see it as a problem finally getting acknowledgement that it should have gotten years ago.

We had a community day, it was called Save a Life. The person that set it up lost her son to suicide. It was to help spread knowledge on how to prevent teen suicide and some other stuff like that. It was actually really nice, we should have more of those around the country.

i dont get why people say that gay people are different, and then go and have people wear purple on a day just for them. you know what? gay people are different. so are retaerded people. so are boys, so are girls, so are adults, so are babies, everyones fucking different! god i hate retarded people. (referring to really dumb assholes)

SpencerNewtons avatar SpencerNewton Yeah You Are +1Reply
@SpencerNewton i dont get why people say that gay people are different, and then go and have people wear purple on a day just for...

I get what you are saying but of all those gay people actually have the possibility of their parents disowning them.

@I get what you are saying but of all those gay people actually have the possibility of their parents disowning them.

right becasue they're parents cant take the fact they they are not the same as everyone else. they want them to be the same. and theyre shit parents. half the reason i hate religion, my best friends parents told him and his 3 brothers if they were ever gay they would disown them becasue its a sin against god. my best friend thinks he may be bisexual and he cant tell anyone becasue hes deathly afraid his parents may find out. its a sick world we live in, and no ones helping it by pretending we're all the same.

SpencerNewtons avatar SpencerNewton Yeah You Are 0Reply

Uhm, so is the straight guy who just got his girlfriend pregnant? So is the girlfriend who just got pregnant. So is straight A student who just flunked a class.

gananass avatar gananas Yeah You Are 0Reply
@gananas Uhm, so is the straight guy who just got his girlfriend pregnant? So is the girlfriend who just got pregnant. So is...

What, are you saying that those kids had to get pregnant or the kid had to fail the class? They made the choice to have sex against their parents' wishes, or the straight A student chose to take on a workload they couldn't handle. It's really not the same for gay kids.

if we dont show our support for gay rights we'll never make any progress. you cant end bullying altogether but you can end homophobic bullying by rallying support and outnumbering the homophobes.

@if we dont show our support for gay rights we'll never make any progress. you cant end bullying altogether but you...

as long as there is religion that is against it, homophobes will never go away.

Why don't all of you stop complaining and get off your asses and help out? Some people care about gay suicides, because they have gay friends, gay relatives, or maybe they are gay. I care about suicides in general. If you really think that people should be doing something, then why won't you take the first step? Why won't you help out? Why are you just sitting there, complaining? Help out. Talk to people. Smile. Because everyone (whether they are contemplating suicide or not) is fighting some sort of battle. And too often, it leads to suicide. We're helping out step by step. Why are you just sitting around, complaining?

If you read all of that, I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but it's the truth. Thanks.

@itstiffanyyo Why don't all of you stop complaining and get off your asses and help out? Some people care about gay suicides...

complaining? it's discussion. it's raising awareness. if anything, this could be called the first step. we're sharing our beliefs and views on bullying and homosexuality and arguing maturely on how to handle these issues.

@complaining? it's discussion. it's raising awareness. if anything, this could be called the first step. we're...

I never said this wasn't a discussion. But half of the commenters on this are complaining, but they aren't doing anything to help the cause.

Bullying happens if you're gay or not. If I'm not mistaken the columbine kids weren't gay, and they not only killed themselves but many other students. So if you say that gay people get made fun of more by default then you're out of your mind. I think what happens sucks, but is it any different than a kid getting made fun of for anything odd, or something that's not mainstream or generally accepted? No, so don't think this is something new that is just happening. It's been going on forever, teens kill themselves everyday, and I find it kind of sad that the only time it's noticed is when gay teens start killing themselves.

FalloutOWs avatar FalloutOW Yeah You Are +1Reply
@FalloutOW Bullying happens if you're gay or not. If I'm not mistaken the columbine kids weren't gay, and they not only killed...

thank you! the columbine story is very scary and a warning of what may happen if this issue isn't addressed. i don't know if you've heard of Rachel's Challenge, but one of the victims of the shooting had an inspirational story that's shared all over the country. i think it's amazing that we can learn from the past, and find something so valuable out of something so horrible. i think we should avoid bullying in all cases, whether or not it's based on sexuality. i agree with you 100%

dive_kt96s avatar dive_kt96 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Guys, it's not as if it was declared a national holiday or anything (as far as I'm aware)...and I cannot believe, for all of your staunch support of suicide awareness that you seem to be posting, that you haven't heard of To Write Love On Her Arms. They are mostly aimed at suicide prevention and awareness, and have a "national" TWLOHA day every year. It's the same concept, promoted through the Internet, but you write Love on your arm or wear one of their t shirts.

Such a good idea, bringing equality to all...so sad it is literally impossible to complete. I think the sooner we come to grasps the fact that there will always be some group of people who are persecuted for who they are the better of we will be. In our cultures it homosexuals. In history a reoccuring pattern is the Jewish culture. The day we miraculously manage to find equality to all, is the day a huge ass astroid smashes into the planet and we have to start all over. It's called realism people, look it up

@722297

A lot of them are. This kid in my school thinks he is high and mighty because he's gay and he thinks if people don't like him it's a hate crime. Um...no, it's because your a jerk. They feel like society owes them one..

While it is true that straight people commit suicide too, the big thing with gay people commiting suicide is that they're killing themselves for what they are, something they can't help. people tease them so much about something they have no control over that they feel the only way out is to take themselves out of this world. it's because of people like you, actually.

When straight people are judged and mocked the way gay people are then you can talk. Until then fuck off. No one should have to feel like they have to take their own life as a way out just because someone is making fun of their sexuality. I dont get made fun of for being straight, so I dont know what theyre going through and neither do you.
Im not saying other people arent bullied as well. It all needs to be put to an end. But gay people can never catch a break in this fucking country.

@Linds When straight people are judged and mocked the way gay people are then you can talk. Until then fuck off. No one...

so you're telling me that straight kids aren't bullied for being 'what they are' which includes being overweight, a certain race, or a million others. Bottom line is that there will always be something that kids feel rejected because of. not just sexuality.

@dive_kt96 so you're telling me that straight kids aren't bullied for being 'what they are' which includes being overweight, a...

Im fucking aware that straight people get made fun of for things as well. But the OP made it out like its not a big deal that these kids were bullied into suicide because they were gay. Thats fucking terrible, its even worse that people dont think its a big deal. Everyone gets made fun of i get it, but no straight person gets made fun of for being straight, so in that respect the OP doesnt understand what its like.

(People at my school didn't understand the Purple Day. One girl walked through the hallway screaming, "Come on everybody, it's GAY DAY!" because she thought we were celebrating something.)

As a country, we tend to use the misfortunes of small groups to bring light to the sufferings of others. For some reason, people care more when someone "different"a gay person, a minority, a womanis suffering than when someone "normal" is.

Straight people don't commit suicide because they're straight and being bullied for being straight...

@Kaitlyn Straight people don't commit suicide because they're straight and being bullied for being straight...

...but they're bullied for other things. They're all bullied for something, and theirs is their sexuality, which makes it a MUCH bigger deal, apparently.

Already happened.

I like how this post critsizes people showing support for another. Classy

@HopeImrite I like how this post critsizes people showing support for another. Classy

It's Bullshit though, how about we focus on teen suicide as a whole, I find it offensive: what, its only a problem when they're gay.

asdijojioiojioxjs avatar asdijojioiojioxj Yeah You Are +12Reply
@asdijojioiojioxj It's Bullshit though, how about we focus on teen suicide as a whole, I find it offensive: what, its only a problem...

There are HEAPS of organisations that do work to preventing suicide, including ones for people of diffrent ethnicities.

@asdijojioiojioxj But not an entire month...

To Write Love on Her Arms. And what does it matter? It's an issue that needs to be addressed. Why is it so wrong that there's a month dedicated to helping a specific group of people? They need help, and we should be willing to give it to them.

straight kids kill themselves too, but we don't have a national holiday-ish thing for them. ever. now, don't get me wrong, i think the suicide was terrible and should NEVER be the answer. it's just that bullying as a whole should be recognized and not just specified to mean "hating gays"

Amiwrites avatar Amiwrite Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Amiwrite straight kids kill themselves too, but we don't have a national holiday-ish thing for them. ever. now, don't get me...

@722291 (SlimShady): I understand wear you're coming from (a friend of mine killed himself back in April), but I just don't like how the post is essentially saying it's wrong to support them. I agree that there should be a national holiday that supports those who kill themselves in general due to bullying.
The whole "Wear Purple Day" was more in support of gay people in general and the teens commiting suicide was a reason to organize it

Suicide should never be supported. If anything, I would wear a color AGAINST the kids who killed themselves.

T3canoliss avatar T3canolis Yeah You Are -6Reply
@youreXallXcrazy Uhhh no one is supporting suicide. It's to prevent it

Then tell that to everyone at my school who was wearing purple. They must have the wrong idea.

T3canoliss avatar T3canolis Yeah You Are -2Reply
@T3canolis Then tell that to everyone at my school who was wearing purple. They must have the wrong idea.

You're really dumb if you think they're supporting suicide. They're raising AWARENESS so people DON'T do suicide like those other kids. They're not saying "IF YOU COMMIT SUICIDE I SUPPORT YOU FULLY AND WEAR PURPLE SO I CAN SHOW YOU HOW MUCH I SUPPORT THAT DECISION."