+17

Dear religious fanatics: we get it, there's a CHRIST in Christmas. Congratulations, you can SPELL! amirite?

AtheisticMystics avatar
0 27
The voters have decided that AtheisticMystic is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Ikun i disagree with your opinion i am an athiest but there has been and still is a little bit of christian and catholic in my family so not all athiests do it just for the sake of being greedy

Dear Atheists: Get your own holiday. Congratulations, you realize that you don't have to be a fanatic to understand that without Jesus, there would be no Christmas and your greedy ass wouldn't get your presents.

Phils avatar Phil No Way -1Reply
@DanielJames Without pagans*, Christmas would not exist.

... without both pagans and Jesus, Christmas wouldn't exist. I'm not denying that pagans had a part in this. I am stating that Christmas is a Christian holiday and stating that its a pagan holiday is just wrong. Nothing against you, just trying to give you the other side of the arguement.

Phils avatar Phil No Way 0Reply
@Phil without both pagans and Jesus, Christmas wouldn't exist. I'm not denying that pagans had a part in this. I am...

The ONLY reason Christmas exists is because the church wanted to convert Roman pagans by creating a holiday on their traditional holiday.

@DanielJames The ONLY reason Christmas exists is because the church wanted to convert Roman pagans by creating a holiday on...

"Church wanted to..." This is what I am saying. Without Jesus, there would be no Church. Without the Church there would be no Christmas.

Phils avatar Phil No Way 0Reply
@Phil "Church wanted to..." This is what I am saying. Without Jesus, there would be no Church. Without the Church there...

Technically, yes. Still, you say the OP is "greedy," when 100% of people celebrate Christmas for family and gift-giving. Nobody celebrates the birth of Jesus.

@DanielJames Technically, yes. Still, you say the OP is "greedy," when 100% of people celebrate Christmas for family and...

Let me explain to you something about the internet. People use words to describe people such as "gay" or "retarded" to insult another person. I used the word "greedy" as it is a insulting word. I honestly know nothing about the OP. In fact, I know a bunch of very nice atheist people. This person could be the greatest person in the world. I do not think he is "greedy." I just oppose his view so I used the word. Also, a lot of people do celebrate the birth of Jesus. There are millions of people who look at Christmas as a day to celebrate God's love for the world by sending us his only son. Please, I do not want to start another arguement about if "God" is real. All I know is that 3 Billion people (2 Billion Christian, 1 Billion Muslim) worship the same "God" (Also known as Allah). Even if there is not a man in the sky with a beard, he is still an idea that upholds morals and love which is pretty real to me.

Phils avatar Phil No Way -1Reply
@Phil Let me explain to you something about the internet. People use words to describe people such as "gay" or "retarded"...

I did not attack your beliefs in any way, I pointed out a fact. There was no need for an irrelevant rant.

For most people, even most Christians, it is not at all about celebrating the birth of Jesus. Sure, maybe you go to a one hour mass at your local church. That's about it.

If you really want to celebrate his birth, stop exchanging gifts and putting up Santa decorations. Instead, gather around with your family and have a quiet meal and thank God for all that He has done.

@DanielJames I did not attack your beliefs in any way, I pointed out a fact. There was no need for an irrelevant rant. For...

So its impossible to do both exchange presents and celebrate Jesus? Just asking. I'll stop arguing, I know its annoying.

Phils avatar Phil No Way 0Reply
@Phil So its impossible to do both exchange presents and celebrate Jesus? Just asking. I'll stop arguing, I know its annoying.

No, debating does not annoy me. It does annoy me when people upvote their own comments, though.

Anyway, explain to me how you celebrate Jesus' birth.

@DanielJames No, debating does not annoy me. It does annoy me when people upvote their own comments, though. Anyway, explain...

(I upvote my comments because I know at least one person will down vote it and it saves humility =D)
I celebrate Jesus' birth with a nativity scene, prayer, a candle that represents that Mary/Jesus is welcome in my house, etc. I'm not asking you to do any of this, I'm just stating that people do do this.

Phils avatar Phil No Way 0Reply
@Phil (I upvote my comments because I know at least one person will down vote it and it saves humility =D) I celebrate...

I guess that is celebrating Jesus' birth. Not prayer, though, since I assume you do that often. Still, family and gift-giving is far more a part of Christmas than Jesus.

It is perfectly acceptable for someone to celebrate the holiday religiously. It is also perfectly acceptable for someone to celebrate the holiday non-religiously. That's my overarching point.

@Phil Family should be more important everyday, not just Christmas.

I don't really understand what you're getting at. Christmas is one of those rare opportunities for people to spend time with their whole family.

@DanielJames I don't really understand what you're getting at. Christmas is one of those rare opportunities for people to spend...

Scratch that. I thought you were talking only about immediate family and I am stating you don't need a holiday to spend time with your immediate family. You can fly home and visit them any day. But now I understand, you would never buy a ticket to go on a plane to visit a cousin, aunt, etc.

Phils avatar Phil No Way 0Reply

Dear Atheists: Stop trying to take the religion out of it then. You never bag on Chanukah, Kwanza, or Ramadan so STFU.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way -1Reply
@Lkun Dear Atheists: Stop trying to take the religion out of it then. You never bag on Chanukah, Kwanza, or Ramadan so STFU.

We don't celebrate kwanza, Ramadan, or Hannukah because they are not as widely celebrated in our country. Many more people celebrate christmas than any of the other holidays. It's a mainstream holiday. If 80% of the population celebrated Ramadan, we would probably celebrate that instead of Christmas. Christmas is just what we see the most of (lights, decorations, trees), so we celebrate it. Not as the birth of Jesus, but as a time to have fun, see our family members that we normally don't see, give and receive presents, and be merry. Do you think Jesus has a problem with that? If not, then you shouldn't either.

@AtheisticMystic We don't celebrate kwanza, Ramadan, or Hannukah because they are not as widely celebrated in our country. Many more...

oh I wasn't talking about celebrating it, i have no problem with that... I was talking about the atheists who put up the "You know it's a myth. this season celebrate reason" sign. I felt that it was rude and in bad taste.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply
@Lkun oh I wasn't talking about celebrating it, i have no problem with that... I was talking about the atheists who put...

@870228 (Lkun): I've never seen one of those signs. But yeah I agree with you, putting those signs up and bashing Christianity is a dick thing to do.

AtheisticMystics avatar AtheisticMystic Yeah You Are +1Reply
@SpearmintMilk Freedom of speech. Christians are allowed to put up signs too.

They did, but I think it's kind of douschey to put up a sign trying to denounce someone's religion.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply
@Lkun They did, but I think it's kind of douschey to put up a sign trying to denounce someone's religion.

Yeah it is pretty douchey but not as bad as some of the ones "Christians" have put up across America which include the lovely messages ---> "Islam is of the devil" "God loves Allah hates" ""When was the last time you heard of a Jew or Christian with a bomb strapped around your body?" "The Koran needs to be flushed".

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are 0Reply
@SpearmintMilk Yeah it is pretty douchey but not as bad as some of the ones "Christians" have put up across America which include...

I haven't heard of those but it pisses me off. Hooray for extremists making normal people look bad!

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply
@Lkun I haven't heard of those but it pisses me off. Hooray for extremists making normal people look bad!

I wish everyone would just respect eac others faiths and get on with their own lives : /