+484

Not all vegetarians are against the idea of killing animals for food. Some just find the idea of eating any part of a dead animal disgusting, amirite?

Food & Drink
2 31

some people also disapprove of the way animals are treated in farms, or would rather have locally grown meat that doesn't have hormones

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +14Reply

So eating living animals is okay?

I'm a pescatarian (I eat fish/seafood) and I choose not to eat meat because of the unethical treatment of the animals before slaughter. shrugs

However, I don't really feel any sympathy for fish and I need protein so, ya know...pescatarianism works.

ALSO because if you live in America and not on a farm, chances are the meat you're eating spent a couple hours skinned alive, then some more hanging upside down, choking on its own blood as the factory workers with little wage and little sanitary protection attempt to slit the poor animal's throat. Don't even get me started on that animal's childhood.

@ALSO because if you live in America and not on a farm, chances are the meat you're eating spent a couple hours...

that's sad and all, any type of cruelty is really ut what is even more sad is that animals are held higher than people... 40 of the worlds chocolate come from cocoa beans picked by children, violence and brutal rapes happen in the Congo so we can have he mineral needed for out smart phones... but too many people see the problems animals suffer as greater and more inhumane than our own kind.

Some of us just don't really like the taste of meat.

doctorwhotardiss avatar doctorwhotardis Yeah You Are +5Reply

My cousin got really sick for a while and could hardly eat anything, especially meat. Now she can't eat meat unless it's really lean and even then not very much because it upsets her stomach. She gets jealous of those of us eating meat sometimes, but she just can't.

@twisted_memories My cousin got really sick for a while and could hardly eat anything, especially meat. Now she can't eat meat unless...

I was born into a vegetarian family. I still find the idea repulsive because I was brought up that way. But honestly, I feel no intense empathy towards animals (human beings included)

@I was born into a vegetarian family. I still find the idea repulsive because I was brought up that way. But...

Makes sense. It would also probably be hard on your stomach to eat meat now.

If you don't find steak appetizing then you're doing it wrong.

You should taste bacon, it's delicious.

Meat is pretty nasty if you think about it. I mean who really wants to eat dead pig muscels?

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@977346

I get that it tastes good but if you think about it you're eating dead muscels from an animal that lounged around in mud and it's own feces

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@528491 I get that it tastes good but if you think about it you're eating dead muscels from an animal that lounged around...

Continuing from Action Man;
C) The meat is cleaned and all bacteria is killed while cooking, so what it lounged around in doesn't matter ;)

beckaleckys avatar beckalecky Yeah You Are 0Reply
@beckalecky Continuing from Action Man; C) The meat is cleaned and all bacteria is killed while cooking, so what it lounged...

@978433 (Methodical_Madness): Yes it's technically clean I'm just saying the idea is gross

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I asked my vegetarian friend once why she didn't eat meat anymore. She explained it to me like this. "Imagine you're given a plateful of food. You eat it and it's delicious, so you ask what type of food it is and it turns out to be donkey testicles. It's delicious, but the thought of eating donkey testicles is really gross." I thought that was a pretty good way of explaining it.

you can't say no way to this one..my mom is a vegetarian...and she always says its not cuz of the animals and i quote "i would wear them"(as in like a fur coat)...she just gets grossed out..if u think about it is a little bit nauseous!

lessthen3shreks avatar lessthen3shrek Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'm a vegetarian only because both my parents are vegetarians and don't eat meat. It doesn't bother me if other people choose to eat meat and i don't tell anybody that I'm one unless they ask.

Mmm meat.

track_stars avatar track_star Yeah You Are -1Reply

I haven't eaten a steak in 3 years. Now just looking at one makes me sick because I find it so gross. I mean, that thing used to walk around, breathe, eat, shit and everything.

You are eating a live ovary of a plant though...

@You are eating a live ovary of a plant though...

Which is why I mentioned dead animals in the post, not dead plants.

@Which is why I mentioned dead animals in the post, not dead plants.

But that's why it's still not really a rational thought. Although I can understand people thinking meat is gross as it is, and why they might do it for health / environmental / economical reasons. I just don't understand why they'd be so strict about it, i.e. no meat under ANY circumstances.

yeah yeah yeah...and yeast is unicellular fungi...blah blah blah we've heard it all....but when it comes to eating things within our kingdom (Animalia) it feels like cannibalism to us...the less like us they are the better.

@yeah yeah yeah...and yeast is unicellular fungi...blah blah blah we've heard it all....but when it comes to eating...

that's nice if you think we are animals and are being cannibals, but I know I'm not physically an animal hence I'm gonna eat all the meat I damn well please

@thatsjustmii that's nice if you think we are animals and are being cannibals, but I know I'm not physically an animal hence I'm...

Well good because that is the point of the post...its saying we have no empathy towards them, its just too awkward and gross for us (veg by birth ppl) to eat them since we were raised that way.