+988

Those who are 65+ years old should have to retake the driving test to make sure they are still able to drive safely. Their decreasing capability to drive poses a threat to others on the road. This test would not be taking away their freedom, as they can still drive if they pass. Driving is a privilege, not a right, amirite?

7 37

Ide say once every 5 years after age 65. Good post.

Sometimes I swear the elderly cause more accidents than teenagers on the road... :S

@Sometimes I swear the elderly cause more accidents than teenagers on the road... :S

Statistics show teenagers cause more accidents than elderly people.

@Clay_ Statistics show teenagers cause more accidents than elderly people.

However, those statistics usually fail to factor in the amount of driving - teens have more miles logged than the elderly so total miles logged show that the elderly have a very high accident rate for how much they drive. Additionally, the elderly person driving 35 in a 55 mph zone is just as dangerous as the teen going 70.

OneMoreSadSongs avatar OneMoreSadSong Yeah You Are +5Reply

And they drive so fucking slow

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Big_Boss And they drive so fucking slow

No, this old lady right behind me at a shopping center was tailgating me and honking her horn at me, I was getting pissed off. There was a family who was slowly walking diagonally across the street in front of me....

Inb4 cool story bro

It actually exists already, my grandparents had to test a few years ago

I agree! Have them take a drivers test at 65 and when their license is to be renewed thereafter.

@977016

I don't believe that it exists yet.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Adria I don't believe that it exists yet.

my gramma had to retake it.. idk for what reason but she did

affenhausens avatar affenhausen Yeah You Are +4Reply

I was wrong about having to retake it every 5 years but many states have required vision tests and shorter periods between expiration for people of a certain age.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-R-0457.htm

I know a 96 year old who can still drive. That's pretty damn impressive.

Some places (like Germany IIRC) have a much more difficult driving test than the United States. You need to be a good driver to be on the road, and everyone's used to it. I think that's a good system.

SOUTH PARK!

Icels avatar Icel Yeah You Are 0Reply

I think most teenagers are worse from my experience...
A lot of the teenagers at my school are ditzy and don't pay attention. There are so many accidents in the parking lots and since we don't have bussing, a lot of the retards drive to school. And then when it starts snowing they're like, "OMG I LIEK NEVAR DROVED IN DA SNOW B4!!!"
-.-;

@dradyn I think most teenagers are worse from my experience... A lot of the teenagers at my school are ditzy and don't pay...

This post really doesn't have much to do with teenagers, so I don't know why people always bring it up. You can't compare teenage drivers to elderly drivers.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Adria This post really doesn't have much to do with teenagers, so I don't know why people always bring it up. You can't...

It's just the fact that people are constantly saying, "The elderly should have to be retested every few years!"
And from what I have seen, the people who are saying it are ignorant, impatient, inexperienced teenagers who think they're great drivers.
I haven't really seen a clear majority of adults say the elderly should get retested.

@Adria I am an adult, thank you.

No, no. I wasn't implying you were a teenager. It's just that majority of the people that I have heard say things like this are teenagers who can't drive and it irritates me because statistics say teenagers cause way more accidents than the elderly.

Not to mention, if you took their licenses away when they get older are they supposed to take a bus? What if they live in a small town with no buses? They're supposed to walk places? They're a better target for crime too, so I don't understand how much good taking away their ability to drive will do. :/ What would they do with the ones they deem unable to drive?

@dradyn No, no. I wasn't implying you were a teenager. It's just that majority of the people that I have heard say things...

Usually, there will be someone they can turn to if they need to be driven somewhere. Family members, friends, neighbors... Is it really worth the risk to have a 90 year old who can barely see over the steering wheel on the road? If you cannot pass a driving test at any given time, there is no reason for you to be on the road, no matter what age.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Adria Usually, there will be someone they can turn to if they need to be driven somewhere. Family members, friends...

But the elderly are usually pretty independent. If they're driving, they're probably not in nursing homes. I don't think that they want to rely on their children to get from point A to point B and back to point A again.
I agree, though, that if they can't see over steering wheel or shake a lot or can't see well then they shouldn't be able to drive. But if the government starts this, I think they should also have some sort of system where they can get free rides when they want to go out.
I also think that they should only get tested if there is a reason (medically, a recent accident, etc) not just because they're old.
I just see a lot of flaws in this idea. :/

@dradyn But the elderly are usually pretty independent. If they're driving, they're probably not in nursing homes. I don't...

Why not be tested just because they're old? If they have nothing that prevents them from driving efficiently, then they should be able to pass the test and keep on driving. They can keep taking the test if they fail, like a teenager can, but if they cannot pass, then they're going to have to learn to rely on other people because personally, I don't want someone who is physically incapable to drive on the road.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Adria Why not be tested just because they're old? If they have nothing that prevents them from driving efficiently, then...

It seems like they're just generalizing for the sake of generalizing. Just because a lot of black people in their 20s are incarcerated, should we incarcerate them all? If we were to test a racial group just because they're notorious for being bad drivers, people would be outraged. Or if we tested women, because it's joked that they're bad drivers. Feminists would be pissed.
I don't think it's fair to test them without any other reason than, "You're old."

@dradyn It seems like they're just generalizing for the sake of generalizing. Just because a lot of black people in their...

Personally, I would be okay if they made everyone retake the driving test every 10 years or so. However, there is no denying the fact that as a person ages, their capability to drive decreases. They experience vision and hearing loss, as well as the general loss of the ability to perform the multiple tasks required to drive. I forgot where I read this, but along with teenagers, the elderly have almost the same amount of accidents when you compare the miles driven. It's just the facts.

@Adria Personally, I would be okay if they made everyone retake the driving test every 10 years or so. However, there is...

Getting everyone retested every ten years or so would probably be a lot better. This would probably work a lot better for everyone and no one would get pissed off.
Hearing loss doesn't impact your ability to drive too much. Deaf people are able to get driver's licenses because hearing accounts for only 10% of the senses you use when you drive.
Albinos have really bad vision, too. They're able to drive, but they got through really intense procedures in order to do it and have to wear special glasses on the roads.
I haven't heard that before. That's really interesting.
I just think ti'd be horrible for my grandmother or my grandfather to have thier license stripped away because they're too old. But if it does help more than it hurts in the long run it may be for the better.
Still, I prefer the idea of everyone being tested after so many years.

@dradyn Getting everyone retested every ten years or so would probably be a lot better. This would probably work a lot...

I wouldn't mind it, but they need to at least do it for those 65 and over. And as you said about the albinos, they have to go through intense procedures before they can actually drive. If you grandparents can drive efficiently now, then there is no reason they shouldn't be able to pass the driving test. The test isn't too hard, and mostly consists of only the basics that are needed to be safe for others as well as themselves.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Adria I wouldn't mind it, but they need to at least do it for those 65 and over. And as you said about the albinos, they...

But if they have decent vision with plain glasses and no physical/mental problems that would make it so that they couldn't drive then I don't quite see the point.
I'm probably only defending them because I think old people are really cute and it'd break my heart to see their faces when they find out they aren't allowed to drive anymore.
But I understand if there are no problems they should have no problem passing the test. It's just a little sad for me to think about I suppose. :x

@dradyn But if they have decent vision with plain glasses and no physical/mental problems that would make it so that they...

It would be much easier to just make those people test and pass than sort through all of the people. If you're arguing your side based off of "I think old people are cute," then I suggest that you don't continue your argument.