+520

Have you ever lay in bed as the clock says 7:30, you close your eyes for a few seconds and it's suddenly 10:30? You closed your eyes for an instant, and several hours elapsed. And seeing as death is like an infinite version of sleep, it's impossible to think that death extends infinitely; there is no infinite instant. There has to be something after death, amirite?

Whackas avatar
29 85
The voters have decided that Whacka is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1019859

It's not suppose to be "proof" of anything. It's just an idea.

And infallible means incapable of error, making your comment self-contradictory. Just for future ref.

@1020287

Not precisely. It's based on perspective, but then changes it to actual time. When you fall asleep, it seems like an instant, but that's only because the mind is asleep and therfore not conciously functioning. The OP then compares this to death where the time after death extends indefinately, finishing by saying that the 'instant' (which is not an instant, though it may seem like it) cannot be infinite.

@1021550

It's calling a single perspective the entire reality, i.e. the supposed "instant" being infinate. However, the "instant" is only called such because it seems like an instant.

@1021996

The theory is void.

@1022006

Well, you see, it all started when I was born...
No, not really. I just replied to the wrong comment and never felt the need to look at who i was replying to.

@WillAkana It's not suppose to be "proof" of anything. It's just an idea. And infallible means incapable of error, making...

Yay WillAkana :P I needed someone to point that out, lots of people are ranting about how this logic is shit etc. etc. when it's just an idea.

Whackas avatar Whacka Yeah You Are +1Reply

I've never once looked at the clock seeing it was 730, died and woke up 3 hours later, I need to be dead for at least 8 hours or else ill be cranky when i wake up

rivals avatar rival Yeah You Are +29Reply

But there's a big difference between being asleep and being dead...

@528491 how do you know?

Well, when you're sleeping, your heart is still beating and your brain is still active.
When you're dead, nothing is active.
In my opinion, it just doesn't seem possible.

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@528491 I get that you're still functioning but you never know, Death could feel like sleeping.

You wouldn't be able to feel how it felt, seeing as your body would be dead. All the parts of your brain would not be functioning, thus you could not feel how it felt.

When you die, your mind is completely gone. You will be just as unaware of things as you were the billions of years before you came into existence.

Unicornss avatar Unicorns No Way +17Reply
@Unicorns When you die, your mind is completely gone. You will be just as unaware of things as you were the billions of years...

But if time is infinite then at some point your likely to come back. Sure when you die your gone but your are just matter and matter cannot be destroyed therefore at some point all of the neurons that escaped your mind will eventually recollect and bring you back whether you realize it or not. The odds are slim but the fact that I am here right now talking to you are impossible odds as well and here I am.

@Unicorns Time isn't a real thing. It's man-made. It's just a measurement of sequence.

But its still there and infinite. Thats just taking the word and describing/bending it really.

@But its still there and infinite. Thats just taking the word and describing/bending it really.

: No, it's not "still there". Again, if every human ceased to exist, there wouldn't be anything called "time", because it's man-made. I'm amazed at how I actually just had to repeat that.

@Unicorns : No, it's not "still there". Again, if every human ceased to exist, there wouldn't be anything called "time"...

The feeling is mutual. We named those measurements of sequence time and just because we die off does not mean that seizes to exist as well. Sure the word time and its meaning will seize to exist but what we called it will still be there.

@The feeling is mutual. We named those measurements of sequence time and just because we die off does not mean that...

Existence itself is infinite is what I'm trying to say and as long as its there the odds of us coming back are still in play.

: wow. That's an incredible amount of intellectual dishonesty right there. Either that, or that's actually how uninformed you really are. Let me explain. (btw, if you meant existence the whole time, then SAY existence instead of time. They aren't even close to the same thing)

Everything about 'time' is man made. Not only the word itself, but its definition and the measurements used (60 seconds = 1 minute, 60 minutes = 1 hour, etc). That DOES go away if humans seize to exist. There aren't just these truths floating out there in space saying these things, humans created these it entirely.

But, something else like GRAVITY doesn't seize to exist. Yes, it's name and definition will go away, but the actual thing happening will not, it is STILL there independant of consciousness, unlike 'time'.

@Unicorns : wow. That's an incredible amount of intellectual dishonesty right there. Either that, or that's actually how...

facepalm Thats what I'm trying to say!!! existence is not man made and is infinite. Our consciousness is just matter interacting and if existence continues forever then at some point the matter will arrange itself back together to bring us back to life.

@facepalm Thats what I'm trying to say!!! existence is not man made and is infinite. Our consciousness is just...

you: "But if time is infinite then at some point your likely to come back..."
keyword there: time

me: if you meant existence the whole time, then SAY existence instead of time. They aren't even close to the same thing

you: "Thats what I'm trying to say!!! existence is not man made and is infinite"
keyword there: existence.

Great contradiction. I love how you 'facepalme'd' at literally nothing.

@Unicorns you: "But if time is infinite then at some point your likely to come back..." keyword there: time me: if you meant...

If you don't understand where I am getting please don't make it sound like you know and use it against me.

You: Great contradiction. I love how you 'facepalme'd' at literally nothing.
keyword: contradiction

I hope you understand that I was correcting myself in the last comments so you would understand it better. I facepalme'd and I still am because of how annoying it is that your still haven't even tried to say anything against my theory (or OP's in this matter) but yet you still act like your presenting something against it with trying to distort the meaning of a word. I mean for fucks sake dude you have to know that time has a meaning other than measurement of sequence.

@If you don't understand where I am getting please don't make it sound like you know and use it against me. You:...

Time: the system of those sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.
-dictionary.com

Its not a man-made product, the word is yes, but the meaning is not and if I actually had to explain that to you I feel like attempting to present what the OP is trying to say is fruitless

Kayawithpig was able to understand where I am getting at.

@But if time is infinite then at some point your likely to come back. Sure when you die your gone but your are just...

yeah, I know someone who studied physics or something, and that's how he believes. I think it's pretty possible.

kayawithpigs avatar kayawithpig Yeah You Are +2Reply

I saw on T.V. that a man who was brain dead, who had literally no electricity flowing through his brain.
They managed to bring him back, make him brain work again and he says he remembers things.
They say there is conciousness outside of brain activity

@I saw on T.V. that a man who was brain dead, who had literally no electricity flowing through his brain. They...

Yeah that is called Near Death Experience, NDE for short and it happens when you die and easily the greatest argument against the theory that you mind is controlled by the brain other than your mind is universal and is actually what controls the brain. I've heard explanations for it saying that is the brain trying to cope with death but honestly I think thats bullshit because when people are in that state they are able to tell what is going on around them, even blind people can see and are actually able to describe how the doctors looked with great detail. I'm pretty sure the brain can't do that.

I've always thought of death as what it feels like before you were born. Non-existant.

Really interesting way to think about it, people should stop trying to ruin it by pointing out that it is not solid evidence of anything. Jeez, it's just a theory, guys.

heysoulsisters avatar heysoulsister Yeah You Are +15Reply

I've always thought this. You're so right.

I don't know why, but I was reading this to the beat of "When I'm Gone" by Eminem. But towards the end it stopped working.

Not even a close to a good attempt to prove an afterlife.

@HopeImrite Not even a close to a good attempt to prove an afterlife.

I'm not trying to prove it, I'm just saying what I think about what happens after death. :P

Whackas avatar Whacka Yeah You Are +7Reply

ur such a stupid whorebitchfuckfaceloljknvmimbeingseriousfuckoffustupidcerealrapist.

@ur such a stupid whorebitchfuckfaceloljknvmimbeingseriousfuckoffustupidcerealrapist.

Dumbass, it's whorebitchfuckfaceloljknvmimbeingseriousfuckoffustupidserialrapist, not whorebitchfuckfaceloljknvmimbeingseriousfuckoffustupidcerealrapist.

The amount of people that don't look further into this mans statement is quite.... disturbing.

And on a related note I won't get to sleep now that I'm going to think about this all night.

Kyle33860s avatar Kyle33860 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Not sound logic. That's a fallacy.

@Paradoxal Not sound logic. That's a fallacy.

yeah thanks for being the 1,000,000 person to point that out

That doesn't really work, (in my opinion) when you die, you just stop existing. As some other people said, it'll be like it was before you were born.

@Rainbow35 That doesn't really work, (in my opinion) when you die, you just stop existing. As some other people said, it'll be...

I think what the op is trying to say is that its impossible to feel or think in the times before you were born, and that you also can't feel or think when your asleep so death is just infinite sleep and stuff

These comments remind me of that xkcd, "I can't sleep...someone on the internet is WRONG."

But seriously the conclusion you came to doesn't really follow from the premise you gave, and if you're not trying to prove something it is generally best to avoid using "has to".

I like to think that after death it's something like a dream where it's like you're living again...although that would mean your brain would be active and for that you would be alive...but otherwise it's cool to think about.

youre missing the part about the brain beign active during sleep, and maggot food after death

I'm sorry, but this logic is shit. Sleep is something your body does t recuperate after a long day, while death is the end of your life.

@pownagemaster I'm sorry, but this logic is shit. Sleep is something your body does t recuperate after a long day, while death is...

But essentially it is the same experience; your body is shut down, your brain isn't doing stuff. The only difference is that you wake up from sleep, and not from death.

Whackas avatar Whacka Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Whacka But essentially it is the same experience; your body is shut down, your brain isn't doing stuff. The only...

Because the brain doesn't shut down completely during sleep -- it rests from usual stuff like walking and doing math, but you still breathe and think and all of that. Death is when the brain doesn't work at all, and in fact it decomposes eventually to non-functioning dirt which makes afterlife or imaginary afterlife(dream-afterlife) completely impossible.

@Nacklefoodle Because the brain doesn't shut down completely during sleep -- it rests from usual stuff like walking and doing...

There's some sense in that I guess, but ah well we're never going to know for certain. This post was just an idea. :P
EDIT: By the way, just because our brain decomposes doesn't rule out the possibility of an afterlife; it could be a completely different entity altogether, where we have no recollection of our previous life, not bound by souls or anything like that. You could've been Gandhi for all we know, or I could've been Stalin.

Whackas avatar Whacka Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Whacka There's some sense in that I guess, but ah well we're never going to know for certain. This post was just an idea...

Lol Stalin. But you see, souls are just an imaginary flying ghost-like figure shown to us in movies and whatnot. They're about as real as flying cats. In reality the personality we have is the combination of the randomized chromosomes we were given at conception/development -- that's our only "soul". There is no way for a decomposed mind to suddenly hear and take control of another just-born mind because that one has already created its own new mind, undeveloped and uneducated completely.

@theres no proof that souls are or are not real

I don't mean it as souls, I'm saying according to the science channel who you really are is a collection of neurons running through out your brain.

@Nacklefoodle Neurons aren't floating dandelion seeds that can just land and re-grow whenever.

Rofl since your name is "no" the reply thing automated to that smiley.

@Nacklefoodle Rofl since your name is "no" the reply thing automated to that smiley.

Yes I understand that neurons will eventually break apart and form into something else but it shows that there is physical proof of our consciousness and It can be brought back eventually as long as everything is in motion. Its basically like finding when .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 lands on pie, a lot like evolution really.

@Yes I understand that neurons will eventually break apart and form into something else but it shows that there is...

It's funny cause I didn't actually think of it doing that when I created this name but I found it funny and stuck with it lol.

@I don't mean it as souls, I'm saying according to the science channel who you really are is a collection of neurons...

i was not replying to you...weird for you to say "I". and science has not proved the existence or non existence of a soul yet

@fuckoffwhore i was not replying to you...weird for you to say "I". and science has not proved the existence or non existence of...

I'm assuming you are the anon poster from earlier? I thought you were replying to me because Nacklefoodles comment was clearly sarcastic where as mine wasn't. My bad.

@Nacklefoodle Lol Stalin. But you see, souls are just an imaginary flying ghost-like figure shown to us in movies and whatnot...

But that will never be proved, it's one of those things that we're never going to discover. Also, that was exactly my point; I don't believe at all in souls. I just believe in entirely different entities, which after all is what every separate human being is. Who's to say that we CAN'T be one of those entities without knowing we were another entity as well, regardless of randomized chromosomes? It's completely undefined, it will never be confirmed. All my posts and comments are just ideas. :P

@Whacka But that will never be proved, it's one of those things that we're never going to discover. Also, that was exactly...

!!!
You still don't understand! "Maybe we CAN be other people after we die since it's impossible to disprove." is not an argument! That's like a child saying "Maybe in our dreams we go to the parallel universe of this one and when we dream there we go back here. No? Well you can't prove that! You can't even test it!"

Why WOULD we quickly change bodies along with getting our memories and personalities erased? Wtf would we even be, without bodies, memories, thoughts, or personal characteristics? Nothing.
You can't switch dead nothing to a newborn child, dude.

@Nacklefoodle !!! You still don't understand! "Maybe we CAN be other people after we die since it's impossible to disprove." is...

Whoah man, whoever said it was an argument? I'm not trying to prove you something, I'm trying to say that it can't be disproven. It's just an idea, chill the hell out. -_-

Whackas avatar Whacka Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Whacka Whoah man, whoever said it was an argument? I'm not trying to prove you something, I'm trying to say that it can't...

I didn't say anything angrily. All of that was said with a "Haha, no man, it's ..." smirk and the last paragraph was even serious/normal.

@Nacklefoodle I didn't say anything angrily. All of that was said with a "Haha, no man, it's ..." smirk and the last paragraph...

I think what the dude is trying to say is if you neurons are what makes you and when you die they release and if time goes on forever then at some point your neurons will recollect in a brain and you will experience life once more. He just used sleep as an example.

Wuht r infinitee??

Traviss avatar Travis Yeah You Are -7Reply

That's the stupidest logic I've ever heard. It's not even a theory, it's just an idiotic statement with absolutely no proof.