+10

There needs to be a unisex name like spouse, but for unmarried people, amirite?

littlewonders avatar
0 10
The voters have decided that littlewonder is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

De facto?

@littlewonder ?

In Australia, a couple that lives together in a relationship but isn't married, is called de facto, and are entitled to /some/ legal rights.

My parents aren't married, but I'm fairly sure they're considered de facto.

http://www.law4u.com.au/cgi-bin...article_id=476

@Simon In Australia, a couple that lives together in a relationship but isn't married, is called de facto, and are...

Ahh, I see. Well, I don't recognize the term because I'm not Australian I guess.

littlewonders avatar littlewonder Yeah You Are 0Reply
@littlewonder Ahh, I see. Well, I don't recognize the term because I'm not Australian I guess.

Fair enough.

To be honest, before you asked me what exactly it was, and I Googled it, I didn't realise it was a purely Aussie thing either.

Maybe their is an American/other countries version of it? Do you have any friends in an unmarried couple who live together, and can ask them if they get any benefits different from single people, and what it's called?

Partner? It's usually only used for same-sex couples, but it doesn't have to be...