+620

Sometimes you wonder what it's like to be at the FRONT of a traffic jam. amirite?

reerees avatar
4 8
The voters have decided that reeree is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Driving ...

There would be no traffic jam if you were in frount would there? You would be holding everyone else up.

I read that most of the time, traffic jams occur because one person stopped suddenly, and the person behind stopped because the 1st person stopped, and so on.
It becomes a traffic jam because the people are so close that they /have/ to stop when the person in front is. If there was a little more space between each car, there would be fewer traffic jams
/coolstorybro

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1055786

(Julian):That's what I was thinking.

I've caused a traffic jam once. Just got my car out of the shop, they didn't secure a belt or something....causing my car to die at a red light. Oh what a fun day that was :)

I think that most of the time, traffic jams are caused by heavy traffic during a merge. People can't just merge with 20 other cars that are really close together at freeway speed without killing someone, so people have to slow down a lot to merge safely and find a gap, causing everyone else to slow down. People slow down a lot when they change lanes or merge in heavy traffic.