+421

Raising your child in a Christian bubble is really more dangerous than Christians think. They always think, "If I keep them from everything bad in this world, they'll turn out as amazing Christians!" but in reality, if you think about it, it only shocks them when they grow up. Parents can't shield them forever, amirite?

MaliciousMiserys avatar
8 26
The voters have decided that MaliciousMisery is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But this is true of any parent who shields their child, religion has little to do with overburdening a kid.

twisted_memoriess avatar twisted_memories Yeah You Are +14Reply
@twisted_memories But this is true of any parent who shields their child, religion has little to do with overburdening a kid.

That's very true. Still, I speak from personal experience. I also know someone who became a party addict, got tons of tattoos, and really became this totally uncaring person because he was shielded. It can really apply to both situations, I just spoke out of something I have both seen and experienced.

MaliciousMiserys avatar MaliciousMisery Yeah You Are +1Reply
@MaliciousMisery That's very true. Still, I speak from personal experience. I also know someone who became a party addict, got tons...

I understand (though I fail to see how tattoos are a bad thing, depending on what they're of and how they're done). However, my friend had very overbearing parents of no religion, and ended up doing something very similar. She's figured herself out now though, and is well on her way to becoming a veterinarian! Her parents support her, but still tell her when she can/can't drive (like at night), even though she's 21 and has lived on her own for years. She's taken to just ignoring it all...

@twisted_memories I understand (though I fail to see how tattoos are a bad thing, depending on what they're of and how they're done)...

I don't think tattoos are a bad thing, in fact, I want one myself. However, as I'm sure you're aware, people tend to look down on people who have tattoos or piercings. ("Oh, you'll never get a job, no one will hire you looking so scary!") Like I said, it applies to both situations, and I was just speaking about something personal. I'm happy to hear your friend is doing okay. Overbearing parents are always awful, religion or no religion.

@MaliciousMisery I don't think tattoos are a bad thing, in fact, I want one myself. However, as I'm sure you're aware, people tend...

I think it's not really like that anymore. I've got 5 tattoos, a septum piercing, and gauged ears, and I've got no problem getting a job, nor does it affect the career path I'm currently on. As long as you can cover it up should you need to, it's not a problem. People just need to really consider placement when getting tattoos.

Anyway, yes, it does depend on situations.

@MaliciousMisery I see. Lucky you :P

Like I said, all about placement! I did work at a place where we weren't allowed to have visible tattoos or facial piercings (so I just didn't show them).

I do believe that this does happen quite often, but I wouldn't necessarily say that this is subjected to Christian Families. In my family we were raised going to church, but ultimately the decision was mine if i believed in the whole thing or not. I don't believe that God expects us to be perfect, but the way in which we choose to learn from our mistakes I would say is more important. I suppose I would say this could happen to everyone, but having been raised Christian I would say kids who do have the background like mine, tend to know how to handle things differently. Everyone can get themselves into trouble, but do many know how to get out?

@I do believe that this does happen quite often, but I wouldn't necessarily say that this is subjected to Christian...

(Raised A Christian): I'm glad to hear it was your choice in the end, but that's still your choice. I for example, have absolutely no choice. If I refuse to go to church, then my iPod and all my videogames are taken away for the entire week till I go again. Even if I paid for all those things with my own money, and NOTHING pisses me off more. If you look at some of the other comments, you'll see what I mean, because, I really don't know how to speak. Sure, I can say a good speech or something if I have to, but when it comes to being in an actual conversation, I can't get past "How are you?" I've never really spoken anybody other than other socially awkward Christians.

@1094961

I suppose so, not really who I was thinking of, but still, its pretty much the same situation. She's really not that bad. I was thinking of people who are so shielded that when they grow up they become curious and get themselves into deep shit because of that.

@MaliciousMisery I suppose so, not really who I was thinking of, but still, its pretty much the same situation. She's really not...

like buddha?
I remember something like he was a prince and when he was a child, some fortune teller said that he would be a great ruler IF he was shielded away from the corruption of the world. So, his dad kept him in the palace with rich and beautiful people. One day, he allowed him to view outside the palace and he witnessed life. Then he ran away from home and became this begger guy..etc etc...

TalkingRices avatar TalkingRice Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1094967

You're in luck; I really have no idea what point in case means. But either way :)

MaliciousMiserys avatar MaliciousMisery Yeah You Are +3Reply

I know a girl who's father is a pastor and completely shields her, and now she's doing drugs and a bunch of crap. My parents raised me as a Christian, but let me figure things out for myself.

@open_mind_open_soul I know a girl who's father is a pastor and completely shields her, and now she's doing drugs and a bunch of crap...

My point exactly. (Gee, I'm on a roll, I'm responding to everyone today!) She's probably curious, or bitter.

@MaliciousMisery My point exactly. (Gee, I'm on a roll, I'm responding to everyone today!) She's probably curious, or bitter.

Yeah pretty much. She has a sister who's the same way. And her dad doesn't even suspect anything because he figured he's a pastor and he raised them differently.

@open_mind_open_soul Yeah pretty much. She has a sister who's the same way. And her dad doesn't even suspect anything because he figured...

Wow, a sister too? I didn't understand the second part though. He doesn't suspect anything cause he raised them differently? Does that mean he thinks its okay cause he thinks he did his best or what? I don't get it, I'm sorry :(

@MaliciousMisery Wow, a sister too? I didn't understand the second part though. He doesn't suspect anything cause he raised them...

He doesn't think they would do anything because he figures he taught them better. But really he smothered them.

@open_mind_open_soul He doesn't think they would do anything because he figures he taught them better. But really he smothered them.

Thanks for clearing that up :) But, yes, smothering, thats the word I'm looking for. He sounds like a complete bastard though. "WELLZ I RIZED DEM BETTR!1!1!" I'll bet he blames it on them too, huh?

I know what you mean.
But another problem I have is the way they seem to other people.
Like my cousin, shes four. Her family is very religious and shielded.
She was at my house once, petting my hamster. She then asked if my hamster was christian. When I asked why she would think that, she responded that my hamster was good, and only good people(or animals) were christians.
See, she doesn't know anything about other religions and its not her fault.

@I know what you mean. But another problem I have is the way they seem to other people. Like my cousin, shes four...

I wouldn't hold them to it at four. A lot of kids, even ones who aren't Christian have this 'good people/bad people' idea of who goes to heaven or not when they die. Granted, she wasn't talking about death, but the ideas the same. Children want to know what happens to people/animals after they die, and parents try to get out of it by telling them that they go to heaven. Kids know it as just a good place, not neccessarily having to do anything with religion. Still, I fear for her future O.O

I'll admit, I am a Christian, but I really hate going to church because I was forced to go all my life. Parents forcing a religion down thier kids throuts is like force feeding them something they don't like. Eventually they'll spit it right back out.

i knew this poor girl who wasnt allowed to shave untill she was 16... along with many other whack rules, shes very socially akward

@fuckoffwhore i knew this poor girl who wasnt allowed to shave untill she was 16... along with many other whack rules, shes very...

Exactly. They come up with all these weird rules, put them in this bubble so that they don't know how to speak to other human beings that are not Christian.

This sounds like some people at my church...

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are 0Reply

Blame it then on the person not the way they were raised.

@Blame it then on the person not the way they were raised.

It's not always just the person. The way they were raised is very important. If a kid was raised his entire life to believe that lying was completely and totally fine, who would you blame? He wouldn't know better.