+185

It's really mind blowing to learn that the universe is the shape of a brain cell, amirite?

Celebral_Parsleys avatar
3 28

how do we know the shape of the universe?

@Cpt_McMuffin A perfect sphere, I would assume.

Never mind that. The actual shape of the universe is debatable, some theories state it could be a perfect sphere, others that it has no real shape and is just infinite in all directions, there isn't really any solid evidence for any of them.

the universe is infinite; it has no shape

@the universe is infinite; it has no shape

If it is expanding, how can it be infinite? Infinity can't expand into infinity. It would have to end somewhere.

@Boufaka If it is expanding, how can it be infinite? Infinity can't expand into infinity. It would have to end somewhere.

It's very complicated. It's not expanding into anything, it's just expanding. "Expanding" in this context doesn't mean just getting bigger, it means that everything is getting farther apart. Also, the universe is everything that exists, and there can't be something outside of everything.

This video explains it a bit more.

Nah girl. The universe is not expanding. Our type of matter is expanding through the infinite dark matter. The observable universe is expanding. There has to be something infinite for us to go through. We can't be in something that takes up absolutely all space that exists (infinite) and somehow have that expand as well. That would mean it is surrounded by nothing and nothing does not exist. It can't surround us.

It's not expanding. Our view of it is expanding at the speed of light. We technically are at the center of our own universe.

@crazyvt22 It's not expanding. Our view of it is expanding at the speed of light. We technically are at the center of our own...

This is untrue. The universe /is/ expanding. This is why "The Big Freeze" is the currently accepted theory. The universe will continue expanding until the energy is so spread out the heat of the universe will be virtually absolute zero.

i find this a waste of having your mind blown.

trollings avatar trolling No Way +15Reply

maybe OP just watched Men in Black.

If one loses that brain cell....

They are not spheres. Although I don't know how we obtained pictures of the universe, a brain cell is polygonal, with branches stemming off of it.

Dinosaurss avatar Dinosaurs Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Dinosaurs They are not spheres. Although I don't know how we obtained pictures of the universe, a brain cell is polygonal...

Ah, I was thinking of most other cells (stupid mistake). Thinking of the shape a neuron, are you sure it's the universe and not a galaxy?

@Cpt_McMuffin Ah, I was thinking of most other cells (stupid mistake). Thinking of the shape a neuron, are you sure it's the...

Actually, the picture (below) that I based this comment on shows a zoomed in portion, which is why I said it wasn't spherical. I am now not sure of what the shape is, but this IS the universe, though (again) I am not sure how it was taken.
http://ctrlv.in/86416

Dinosaurss avatar Dinosaurs Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Dinosaurs Actually, the picture (below) that I based this comment on shows a zoomed in portion, which is why I said it wasn't...

That's the Great Wall. It's a band of galactic superclusters grouped in a line with branches. That's not the universe, just the largest visible superstructure.

I don't know where you read this, but the shape of the universe is debated upon by cosmologists and involves very high end mathematics. And because of its sheer size, the universe as we see it doesn't even exist at the same "points in time."

I feel like a POTD had something like this in it a few months ago...

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +1Reply

I wonder, did op mean galaxies? I think I've heard that before

@guitarplayer213 I wonder, did op mean galaxies? I think I've heard that before

Galaxies have different shape sometimes, and they're usually swirly. So no.

OP meant galaxies. Brain cells certainly look more like galaxies than they do the universe. We don't even know the shape of the universe.

I think this is a pun that just got over analyzed.

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are -2Reply
Anonymous