+155

Native American sports mascots aren't so awful as people make them out to be. I mean, we caricature other people in sports, such as vikings, mountaineers, pioneers, cowboys, etc. without much controversy at all. And it's not like we are making out the Natives to be the bad guys: they become the heroes for the local sports fans. amirite?

Joe_Larsons avatar Sports
2 7
The voters have decided that Joe_Larson is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I agree that it's not a problem but at my school one of our rivals are the Indians and some students made a sign that said "send them on a trail of tears." That is inappropriate.

I agree completely, but Redskins is pretty derogatory

steelerman113s avatar steelerman113 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@steelerman113 I agree completely, but Redskins is pretty derogatory

Yeah, I'm definitely more in favor of specific native mascots, such as Seminoles, Aztecs, Chippewas, etc. because they pay direct homage and respect to specific people. Broader terms such as "Indians" or "Redskins" tend to stereotype all of the native population, which isn't really fair. Interestingly enough, the majority (91%) of Natives polled were not offended by the Washington Redskins nickname. Goes to show that the political correctness war is often waged against extra-sensitive white people or outside parties, and not by those at the center of the conflict itself.

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Joe_Larson Yeah, I'm definitely more in favor of specific native mascots, such as Seminoles, Aztecs, Chippewas, etc. because...

Very true. I don't mind it personally, but I could understand if people found it offending.

steelerman113s avatar steelerman113 Yeah You Are +2Reply

At WKU, we don't even know what our mascot is.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply

the mascot of my high school is the Indians. of course, i live in Georgia where people don't flip a shit about these things

Pendletonias avatar Pendletonia Yeah You Are 0Reply