+743

Love in the 1940s seemed so much more romantic than today. I mean love is love no matter what, but dancing to a record and sending love letters sounds much sweeter than texting and updating your relationship status on facebook, amirite?

Chapsticks avatar Relationships
40 7
The voters have decided that Chapstick is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

there are also romantic movies now but that doesn't mean that's what life is actually like

And let us not forget how women were objects with no choices in the '40s, too!

Sorry, I just don't find that time period to be incredibly romantic, given how women were practically bought and sold.

@twisted_memories And let us not forget how women were objects with no choices in the '40s, too! Sorry, I just don't find that time...

Bought and sold? I don't think if that way.. Women werent treated very fairly by society.. It was a man's world. But I still think it was a more romantic era.

Chapsticks avatar Chapstick Yeah You Are +13Reply
@Chapstick Bought and sold? I don't think if that way.. Women werent treated very fairly by society.. It was a man's world...

Not really. In a lot of cases, a father could sell his daughter. She was expected to marry whoever he chose or be out on her ass. Maybe not literally bought and sold, but pretty much.

I think that it's portrayed as a more romantic era, but I don't really think it was.

@twisted_memories Not really. In a lot of cases, a father could sell his daughter. She was expected to marry whoever he chose or be...

You didn't live in it, and neither did I. How it's portrayed is all we know. And that's what I'm going off of. My grandmother and grandfather had quite a romance, and I trust since they LIVED through the time period, they'd know best.

Chapsticks avatar Chapstick Yeah You Are +10Reply

these are the 1940's, not the 1840's. women were treated much more fairly in this time than they had ever been treated before. they were in the workforce, they could vote, they participated in the war effort.

@these are the 1940's, not the 1840's. women were treated much more fairly in this time than they had ever been...

Yes, they were in the work force. It's still true that they were controlled by men. The only difference is that with war, women got a chance to break free from that a little more and start the revolution (if you will).