+223

Musicians: You hate it when people with no musical abilities say music is their life. All they do is listen to their iPod, they don't spend hours working on hard passages or learning music theory. If they can't even do a simple thing like read music, how can it even begin to be their life? amirite?

PrincessDaisys avatar Music
13 48
The voters have decided that PrincessDaisy is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Shock, musicans coming across as pretentious... I cannot read music, self teaching myself to play the ukulele but even before that I would say music is an essential in my life. Music is to be appreciated as well as analysed. Music triggers feelings, memories and emotional ties. Music is a part of the self help cure for depression, I would say music has kept me going on a lot of low times. You do not need to understand the internal workings of your baby for it to be your life.

Unuseds avatar Unused No Way +24Reply

What a load of bullshit. This can only come from a typical, pretentious musician asshole.
Music isn't about how accomplished you are at reading notes or learning the theory by heart. It's about feeling the emotion of the music, appreciating it, loving it. To some, music is their life - what about the kid who gets bullied, is abused by his parents, and the only thing that keeps him going in life his their music? What about the person who listens to music all day and night, but is poor and can't afford said fancy tuition and instruments? What about the people who depend on music to escape from their difficult lives?
Your ignorance is astounding.

@What a load of bullshit. This can only come from a typical, pretentious musician asshole. Music isn't about how...

I'm not saying that music can't help people and help their lives, I'm sure it's very important to them too. But I live a life where I've grown up with music and knowing how to play many instruments, and there's always live music playing in my house. I spend hours a day practicing music, and almost my whole life revolves around things that are musically related. It runs in my family and my life would honestly be completely different without musical abilities and a musical family. I'm not saying music can't be important to other people, but when you don't eat sleep and breathe music every day, you honestly have no idea what it's like to be your life.

PrincessDaisys avatar PrincessDaisy Yeah You Are +3Reply
@PrincessDaisy I'm not saying that music can't help people and help their lives, I'm sure it's very important to them too. But I...

So because you had a more priviledged upbringing than most, you feel other people who never had same the opportunity as you can't possibly feel that deeply connected to music or have the right to?
I stand by my first statement. Ignorant. You sound like a petulant child.

@So because you had a more priviledged upbringing than most, you feel other people who never had same the...

I rarely get irritated by things, but this topic does irritate me. I'm not saying that others can't have a deep connection with music. I'm saying they don't live music!! It is part of my lifestyle, like how some people live for the sports they play. When people have activities that consume all their time and they've detoved hours for many years refining their skill, that's when they live for that thing. I'm trying to say that I always hear people say "music is my life", when they have no clue what it's like to actually have it be their life. Yes, they listen to it a lot! Yes, they feel connections! Yes, it can help them! But you try living my life and then you can see what I mean. I honestly can't even describe it all, there's not enough room and people don't have long enough attention spans.

PrincessDaisys avatar PrincessDaisy Yeah You Are +6Reply

Consumer/Producer argument

Someone can love music as just a consumer (that is, a fan of music) without being a producer (someone who makes music).

Just as someone who enjoys reading, and analysing novels may not want to write their own.
Just as someone who reads a lot about Philosophy may not be inclined to develop their own original ideas.

My friends had a go at me cause i said "how can you listen to this shit, its only got 3 chords"

freddos avatar freddo Yeah You Are +6Reply
@1171509

B concert is actually one of the most important scales, just saying

@1172463

actually i can say that, because ive taken band for 5 years and the scale we use in some of our most advanced pieces the most is B concert

@1173054

I never said it was THE most important, I said it was ONE of the most important because it gets used the most

@1174030

Tobacco mostly

Yeah I don't think people who say that LITERALLY mean music is their life... It means that they can't imagine their life without the music they like

Frankly, I don't think that phrase should be used at all. It sounds like a pretentious twelve-year-old's attempt at being cool. It reminds me of that "Live laugh love" thing that all of the teenage girls wrote on their Facebook About Me section.

If anything is "your life", you clearly have an unhealthy obsession.

@Frankly, I don't think that phrase should be used at all. It sounds like a pretentious twelve-year-old's attempt at...

Why would having something as 'your life' be an unhealthily obsession? So because I listen to music almost constantly, I play piano for a stress reliever, I practice songs on the piano, I play for my church, and I sing in a school choir I have an 'unhealthy obsession?' I think it's the opposite. Having an outlet like music, sports, or writting, etc is very healthy. Many people use these things as stress relievers or to escape from problems. It only becomes unhealthy when it become detrimental to your health.

jNycoleus avatar jNycoleu Yeah You Are +4Reply

Welp, I read and write my own lyrics. But I also make instrumentals for my songs and play piano by ear, not by notes. I have a professional mic as well. Can I say music is my life? No? Oh well, that's sad.

Listening to music doesn't make it your life.
Writing music does.

That's like saying "ACTING IS MY LIFE" when you only watch movies.
That's like saying "PAINTINGS ARE MY LIFE" when you go to the museum.

Everyone who disagrees is, more than likely, some whiny fourteen year old jailbait who's SUPER EDGY and OH SO NONCONFORMIST.

I figure a lot of music out by ear. Didn't realize that was a bad thing to do. [sarcasm]

@MetalMilitia715 I figure a lot of music out by ear. Didn't realize that was a bad thing to do. [sarcasm]

I think they meant that people who just listen to their ipods and don't have musical ability can't say that music is their life.

@I think they meant that people who just listen to their ipods and don't have musical ability can't say that music...

(different anonymous): thank you! that's exactly what I mean! people are just interpreting it in many different ways!

PrincessDaisys avatar PrincessDaisy Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1171506

That is what I am saying. The poster said that you have to know how to read music to say that music is your life.

I don't currently play any insterments, but I write my own lyrics and when a melody pops into my head. Just beause I don't play an insterment doesn't mean I can't write my own music.

@1171511

Dude, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? Your just raging at everything here

It's worse when people brag about music being their life but then they only listen to one genre. I think if you're going to say that, you should be more educated on it

@Kluklayu You can't blame someone for only liking one genre

I think they mean someone who doesn't appreciate different genres. I personally don't like country, but I can appreciate their music.

I meant claiming that music is your life is stupid if you're close minded about every other genre but one. That means rap, country or whatever is your life, not music as a whole

Someone who writes/reads/plays music isn't any better than someone who listens to music.

@1171118

Listening to music can still make music your life.

@1171530

I didn't say you didn't. It's what I was trying to explain in my other comment. I don't think so though (about being better equipped). Music can be your life if you're a musician, and music can be your life if you listen to it a lot and have no intention of ever learning or read, write or play music yourself.