-673

It's not the end of the decade- the decade ends and the END of this year because there was no year 0, they started on year 1. So, 2011 marks the beginning of the new decade. amirite?

3 243
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I've got two points:
1) Regardless as to when the year numbering started we still like to organise time into reasonably named chunks. Therefore the 90's were while the date was between 1990 and 1999. Therefore it seems reasonable to name this the new decade.
2) At the cosmic scale 10 years means fuck all, so it doesn't matter. See: Who Cares.

Chromanas avatar Chromana No Way +25Reply

Well, usually we think of a decade like the 90's or the 70's and stuff like that. It would be weird if 1990 was part of the 80's.

@Spain Except 1990 is and will never be part of the 1980s, even if idiots deny it.

No...we can't keep dumbing shit down because people are stupid and lazy....just like Jan 1 2000 was NOT the start of the millennium...no year zero - so decades END with a zero year....the decade ENDS Dec 31 2020....when you count to 10 you don't stop at 9.....math means things.

WAZs avatar WAZ Yeah You Are +1Reply

So going by your logic the 90's didn't start until 1991, and 1990 was part of the 80's? Some people....

Hey guess what everbody! It's going to be 2011 soon! Yay!

@Hey guess what everbody! It's going to be 2011 soon! Yay!

(whoreallygivesacrap?): It's going to be the second year of the 2010s! Yay. :)

Spains avatar Spain No Way +1Reply

OMG there was no year zero? My life is a lie!

JennaGees avatar JennaGee No Way +10Reply

Can't we all drink lemonade and be happy with each other?

@griffs28 Can't we all drink lemonade and be happy with each other?

I'm allergic to lemonade, so no. No we can't.

negative POTD, interesting.

@negative POTD, interesting.

It's happened before, and a negative post can be just as interesting. This is also relevant to today, so it's a legitimate POTD.

SO MUCH CONFUSION,
only because this post was made on january 1st of 2010,
and by "this year", OP means 2010, not 2011
the end of the decade is now.

Well technically anyone religious shouldn't want to use a date system based on the before and after of a storybook character so really who cares.

@913473

Thank you! I love (sarcasm) when people try to argue religion on here thinking they know what they're talking about, but it's obvious they have never studied Christianity a day in their life

@913473

if were talking about Jesus don't forget easter..

@913473

actually no, he is too similar to Hercules and many other mythical beings, it is a historic plagiarism to give the "church" power over the people. Also religion is used to distract the masses so that kings and rulers can have power while people are doing frivolous things.

@1337adolf Well technically anyone religious shouldn't want to use a date system based on the before and after of a storybook...

So what, you have your own personal dating system that's different from the rest of us? How's that working out for you?

duckshirts avatar duckshirt Yeah You Are +10Reply
@Spain Google it. GOOGLE IT. Decades start in xxx0, centuries and milenniums start in xxx1.

I will accept that the 2010s decade started in 2010, just as the 1900s, which could also be considered a decade, started in 1900. But the 202nd decade starts in 2011, just as the 20th century started in 1901.

duckshirts avatar duckshirt Yeah You Are 0Reply
@duckshirt I will accept that the 2010s decade started in 2010, just as the 1900s, which could also be considered a decade...

The 202nd decade is the 2010s. The 2010s started in 2010.

Again, centuries and milenniums start in xxx1 but decades start in xxx0.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -3Reply
@Spain The 202nd decade is the 2010s. The 2010s started in 2010. Again, centuries and milenniums start in xxx1 but...

No, the 202nd decade and the 2010s are different, just as the 20th century and the 1900s are different. The only definition of a decade is that it is 10 years, it all depends on which decade "the" decade is referring to.

duckshirts avatar duckshirt Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm not religious, I was just kind of guessing on this since they didn't start with zero. In the end, you are correct, "Who really cares?"

It's called 0 C.E. AKA "Common Era", Then theres BCE "Before Common Era". It's the new date system. You should learn it in school. I'm a middle schooler and I know that.

@914003

@914003 (polarthebear): yeah, but that's just the way i learned it in school.

@It's called 0 C.E. AKA "Common Era", Then theres BCE "Before Common Era". It's the new date system. You should...

(<3 (:): Even though I don't believe that Jesus is my lord (i.e. Anno domini, in the year of the lord), I feel like a pretentious asshole if I say "this is the year 2010 CE."

@like i said, this is just way i am being taught in school.

(<3 (:): It's the way I learned it in school as well. It's the politically correct way of saying it. There are also other politically correct terms that have been introduced into our language that no one uses. For example, the gender neutral pronouns, zhe and phe. Of course, more people use BCE/CE than zhe, but it's the same idea.

i mean anyone who isn't religious*

This decade started at 2000 so technically it did start at zero and it is the end of the decade. (2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009) Count it it's ten years.

@paperairplane This decade started at 2000 so technically it did start at zero and it is the end of the decade. (2000 2001 2002...

Yes but these people say that technically 2001 (i.e. the end of 2000) is the beginning of the millennium.

@paperairplane That makes no sense.

It kinda does, actually. If it's the start of 1990 and then one year passes it's the start of 1991. If it's the start of 1990 and then 10 years pass then it's the start of 2001 (or you could say the last day of 2000)

@1337adolf it makes perfect sense.

I wasn't asking you.
@15971 (Chromana): Ohhhh, okay now I get it!

@paperairplane I wasn't asking you. @15971 (Chromana): Ohhhh, okay now I get it!

This is a public website, everyone is allowed to contribute, so don't be rude.

@Lex This is a public website, everyone is allowed to contribute, so don't be rude.

He was being just as rude. I was just returning the rudeness.

@paperairplane He was being just as rude. I was just returning the rudeness.

He was saying the theory made sense, frankly the only one being rude here is you.

@Spain This decade started in 2010.

When the clock strikes midnight on 12/31/10 a new day will have begun and a new decade will have as well.

@When the clock strikes midnight on 12/31/10 a new day will have begun and a new decade will have as well.

No. A new decade will start one second after 11:59:59 pm on 31 December 2019.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply

You are completely ridiculous. Yes a decade is 10 years and i could say we're in the middle of a decade right now. I could start making up my own decades, for example: We're in the middle of the 2005-2014 decade. But when we're talking about the actual decade in terms of dates then 2011 starts the next decade in AD. There was no year 0 so the first decade in AD couldn't possibly have only 9 years in it. THAT'S NOT A FUCKING DECADE!

But I must also add that if we want to just talk about how society views the decades as small "eras" if you will, then the years 1990-1999 can be the 1990s decade, but it's not technically the 199th decade. Make sense yet?

jaleesa182s avatar jaleesa182 Yeah You Are +6Reply
@jaleesa182 You are completely ridiculous. Yes a decade is 10 years and i could say we're in the middle of a decade right now...

I swear it almost made me cry when I saw how many people thought the first decade had nine years. As you put it, THAT'S NOT A FUCKING DECADE!

We definitely needed more negative POTDs. Negative posts are always written off.

@914448

Except it isn't.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -4Reply
@914509

New decades start in xxx0. That means years ending with a 0.

The first decade was the 0s and it lasted one year less than usual, i.e., year 9. 2000 years laster 2009 lasted, signifying that the 2010s started and that the 2000s ended.

Now, Wikipedia search: 2010s, 2000s, 3rd milennium and/or 0s.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -1Reply

It did not start at 1....the beginning of time to 1 year equals one year and so on. You can't start at year 1 if a year hasn't gone by?!?! How does that make sense?

@It did not start at 1....the beginning of time to 1 year equals one year and so on. You can't start at year 1 if a...

Rachel is right.

Check out my analogy: imagine you had to take ten courses in order to pass university. If each course lasts 10 days and you're on your first ninth day ever, does that mean nothing started at all? Yes, you haven't passed that course yet (and thus accomplished 1/10 of your required university credits), but your time at university didn't start on day 11 (the day you got your first credit).

Yes you can. Year 1 = The first year, just like how years 1501-1600 are deemed 'the sixteenth century.' We are entering the 2011th year AD, which means 2010 years have elapsed since the domain, hence a new decade.

@duckshirt CE and AD are the same, and the sixteenth century = 1501-1600 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_century

I don't consider wikipedia a reliable source. Also, AD is the old and religious term, CE is the new and more acceptable term.

Edit: Also, there are several other websites that say it's 1500-1599.

@twisted_memories I don't consider wikipedia a reliable source. Also, AD is the old and religious term, CE is the new and more...

How can you not consider Wikipedia a reliable source? Of course, some guy had the magnificent idea to make an online encyclopedia full of bullshit information! Yeah.

If you do not believe what Wikipedia says, check out any article, go to the References section, all those people are saying what Wikipedia is saying in that article.

Surely if an article has 200 references, you also think those 200 individual people from elite companies are bullshitting you too? Seriously?

Spains avatar Spain No Way +9Reply

Okay then, there was no 0 CE, they went straight from 1 BCE to 1 CE. So if 1500 is part of the 16th century, that would mean 1 BCE is part of the 1st century CE. Even if you think Wikipedia is wrong, at least what it says is consistent and makes sense...

duckshirts avatar duckshirt Yeah You Are +3Reply

Why does any of this matter anyway? Our methods of keeping track of time are inaccurate anyway. We could be weeks off the actual 2011th time the Earth made a full rotation (that being 2011 years after 1 AD or 1 CE).

@Shadi Why does any of this matter anyway? Our methods of keeping track of time are inaccurate anyway. We could be weeks...

(Chauncy Pickles): The 2011th time the Earth made a full rotation on the sun, we weren't around yet.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply

My brain hurts.

My concept of time and reality has just been shattered. If you'll excuse me, I am going to curl up in a ball on the floor.

Bretts avatar Brett No Way +4Reply

I'm so freaking confused...

No.

Wow, what a stupid thing to get in an argument over >.>

Oooooohhhhh this was made a year ago........

Tomorrow is the year 2011. Everybody shut up, we don't care whether it is the start of the new decade or not.

how the fuck did this make potd

@ClaireTheBozo how the fuck did this make potd

Anthony/Chromana decided it was. I don't know why though, since they both disagree with it...

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Rainbow35 Anthony/Chromana decided it was. I don't know why though, since they both disagree with it...

If I think correctly, I'm pretty sure they pick stuff like this to see a lot of conversation and debate over a topic. They wanna see what people have to say about it.

This post contradicts itself; at the start, it says, "It's not the end of the decade," yet at the end, it says, "2011 marks the beginning of the new decade," so they're saying that 2010 is NOT the end, yet 2011 is the beginning?

I don't even understand. This was posted a year ago. O.o

who gives a rip

@HydroZoid who gives a rip

Thank you. Besides record keeping 1/1/11 is just another day. What difference does it really make?

My thoughts are when it's someone's 10th birthday, he's been alive for ten years. The next day is the first day of his eleventh year alive. So the end of 2010 is the end of ten years or a decade.

Haha IKR? I kinda understand where they're coming from, but they're getting educated now but still refusing to learn. Yes the years 1990 through 1999 are the "90s" decade which is more like a small era, like I said before, but it wasn't mathematically the previous decade in AD.

Back when the whole y2k thing was going down, I too believed 1999 was the end of that millennium (forgive me, I was only 11), but then I heard and read others debunking it and have since had to argue so many times about when decades/centuries/millenniums end and begin. Not many people seem to realize these things.

jaleesa182s avatar jaleesa182 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Um, as in, no

Beginning of year 0 to beginning of year 1 = 1 year.
Beginning of year 1 to beginning of year 2 = 2 years.
Beginning of year 9 to beginning of year 10 = 10 years = one fucking decade.
???
Profit.

There was no year 0. No 0 A.D. or 0 B.C. This is fact, not opinion. 2011 is the start of the new decade and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

@There was no year 0. No 0 A.D. or 0 B.C. This is fact, not opinion. 2011 is the start of the new decade and...

Why isn't it called the "2011s" then? 2010s makes no sense if there is no 2010 in it.

Google it. Thousands of results talk about when decades start, when milenniums start, etc. Surely they can't be all wrong.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -2Reply
@Spain Why isn't it called the "2011s" then? 2010s makes no sense if there is no 2010 in it. Google it. Thousands of...

I Googled it, and every single source I looked at agreed with me. (I Googled "When does the new decade start?" and looked at the first four sources.)

For your question, a decade is any period of ten years. 2010-2019 is a decade. 2011-2020 is a decade. 2014-2023 is a decade. The 2010s refers to the decade of 2010-2019. The /new/ decade starts on 2011 because the first decade (of A.D.) started on year 1. Therefore, the next one started at 11, then 21, ect. until 2011.

@I Googled it, and every single source I looked at agreed with me. (I Googled "When does the new decade start?" and...

No. Decades work differently. Check the wikipedia article for 0s. The first "decade" lasted from 1 to 9. Therefore all decades start in xxx0 and end in xxx9.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -1Reply
@Spain No. Decades work differently. Check the wikipedia article for 0s. The first "decade" lasted from 1 to 9. Therefore...

Holy hell you keep citing this one Wikipedia article. One. Yes, it has sources. But there are so many more sources that disagree with you. Check billpetro.com, canadiancontent.net, or answers.com. Or really, just google it (which you keep telling people to do). You'll find that many more sources say that the decade starts on 2011 rather than 2010. And most of the sources that say 2010 are not even credible (ie not articles but a bunch of people answering someone's question).Guess what, wikipedia is wrong.

@Holy hell you keep citing this one Wikipedia article. One. Yes, it has sources. But there are so many more sources...

Yes, but I could make 30 websites and say that Obama is ginger. This is not right in any way, but hey, if 30 websites say it, why would they be lying?

And yeah, you don't know how encyclopedias work...

Spains avatar Spain No Way +1Reply

Nonono. It's like when a kid is born, he can't be 1. That's impossible. He's 1 year old 365 days after he was born. Same thing with earth. When it was first created (regardless of how it happened) It can't start off as year 1 because it hasn't been year yet. It's year 0. It has to start off at the beginning.

The absence of a year 0 leads to some confusion concerning the boundaries of longer decimal intervals, such as decades and centuries. For example, each decade begins with a year ending in 1, not 0. The third millennium of the Gregorian calendar began on 1 January 2001, rather than the widely celebrated 1 January 2000. Likewise, the 20th century began on 1 January 1901.
This rule results from the fact that the Gregorian calendar begins with a year 1 instead of 0. Cardinal and ordinal numbering of years is therefore identical: The year 10 is the tenth year of the calendar and the end of the first decade. The year 11 is the first year of the second decade, and so on. In spite of this rule, years ending in 0, rather than 1, are commonly perceived as marking the beginning of a new decade, century, or millennium.
If the Gregorian calendar had begun with a year 0 as its first year, then the year 10 would have been the 11th year of the calendar and the first year of the second decade.

@pie The absence of a year 0 leads to some confusion concerning the boundaries of longer decimal intervals, such as...

(continued)Similarly, the year 2000 would have been the 2,001st year of the calendar, therefore the actual first year of the 21st century and the third millennium.

Decades start in xxx0, milenniums and centuries start in xxx1.

Wikipedia search: 0s.

First decade AD, 9 years instead of 10 it had.

Every new decade starts in xxx0.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -3Reply

ended. That is when 10 whole years would have passed, marking the end of a decade. So it is not until the start of 11 AD that would a new decade begin. From that, you can also state that not until the start of 1991 would a new decade begin, and not until the start of 2001 would a new decade begin.

This is as spelled out as it gets...

I don’t understand how people are debating this. It’s not questionable, it’s just incorrect.

Soon there will be more comments than "Yeah you are's" amirite?

But if 2011 marks a new decade, doesn't that mean another one is ending?
The decade started after the first second of 2000, because it is no longer year 0, but 0.000001. It's not completely accurate, but that's the way I'm seeing it. Explain to me why I'm wrong, if I am

@KickAss Soon there will be more comments than "Yeah you are's" amirite? But if 2011 marks a new decade, doesn't that mean...

Decades start in xxx0 because the first decade finished in year 9 on 31 December. 2000 years later the year 2009 finished, thus signifying a new decade, the 2010s.

However, centuries and milenniums start in xxx1. For example: 2001, 3001, 2101, etc.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -2Reply
@Spain Decades start in xxx0 because the first decade finished in year 9 on 31 December. 2000 years later the year 2009...

THEY BOTH START IN NUMBERS THAT END IN 1
2001 was the beginning of a new decade and century. The year 2000 is actually part of the 1990's decade, even though 1990 itself wasn't included in that decade.

@THEY BOTH START IN NUMBERS THAT END IN 1 2001 was the beginning of a new decade and century. The year 2000 is...

If you're referring to centuries and milenniums, yes.

If you're referring to decades, check Wikipedia, Google, etc.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -1Reply
@Spain If you're referring to centuries and milenniums, yes. If you're referring to decades, check Wikipedia, Google, etc.

If you are referring to the popular opinion of what marks the beginning and end of the new decade, then yes, you are correct. However, mathematically, you are incorrect.

Just read this.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_does_the_decade_end

Wikipedia simply follows the popular opinion, like you do; the mathematics of it is not implicated in the Wikipedia articles. People like 0's so they choose to hype up the change from 1999-2000 or 2009-2010, even though it is technically not the end of the decade.

@Wikipedia simply follows the popular opinion, like you do; the mathematics of it is not implicated in the Wikipedia...

Wikipedia actually follows what big companies or websites say, which you can see in the section References of any article.

In that section, they link to an article on a different website of who said that, often being important companies.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply
@Spain Wikipedia actually follows what big companies or websites say, which you can see in the section References of any...

Alright, since you don't understand what I trying to tell you, do the math. It's already done in my comment here

www.amirite.net/5675/914355

. It's long and split into two comments. It's the mathematical version (the correct one). Just read it and you'll see.

@Alright, since you don't understand what I trying to tell you, do the math. It's already done in my comment...

Decades last 10 years, yes.

The 2010s are from 2010 to 2019.

The first decade was "special", it was only 9 years, that is why decades start on xxx0.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -1Reply
@Spain Decades last 10 years, yes. The 2010s are from 2010 to 2019. The first decade was "special", it was only 9...

If it lasts for only 9 years then it is not, by definition, a decade. You may twist the information however you'd like, but you are technically incorrect. That's all.

Where does it say anywhere that the first decade was only 9 years? Here's what that wikipedia article says: "This article is about the period 1–9 AD, the first 9 years in the Anno Domini era, not first 10 years." Does that mention anything about the first DECADE being years 1-9 AD? No. No, it does not.

Wikipedia also never says the conception of decades ending in 0s is factually or mathematically correct (it isn't); it simply states that people perceive it as such. Also, wikipedia is just once source, and that article only has two references. Every other source I've read on Google states that decades end in 1s.

@Where does it say anywhere that the first decade was only 9 years? Here's what that wikipedia article says: "This...

Of course and 1990 was part of the 1980s. They did the 0s "decade" thing so that the rest of the decades could start in xxx0 and end in xxx9.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -1Reply
@Spain Of course and 1990 was part of the 1980s. They did the 0s "decade" thing so that the rest of the decades could...

Oh my gosh. Spain, listen. In the context of time calculations, new decades begin in xxx1. However, most commonly particular groups of 10 years (a decade) are referred to such as the 1920's, a decade that stretches from 1920 to 1929. So, people refer to groups of 10 years as decades, such as the 1920's, but in mathematically counting the years, decades start with xxx1. And in no way did the first decade only have 9 years, that makes zero sense.

I see what you're saying. So the months and weeks and days don't really matter, when considering the beginning of a century or millennium?

So every century, the first 10 years aren't a decade?

And I was confused, because op was saying 2011 was the new decade and I was thinking that 2010 was

@KickAss I see what you're saying. So the months and weeks and days don't really matter, when considering the beginning of a...

In the 21st century, the 2000s IS certainly a decade, but 1 of those years was part of another century (and in this case milennium too).

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply

Why is this POTD?

@jukilo Why is this POTD?

Because Anthony or Chromana decided it was.

@Rainbow35 Because Anthony or Chromana decided it was.

Well I know that. I mean why of all the things that could be POTD this idiot's post is the one.

@jukilo Why is this POTD?

To confuse idiots into thinking that the 2010s start in 2011.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -5Reply
@Spain To confuse idiots into thinking that the 2010s start in 2011.

Spain. You've made over 30 comments. Get a life.

@Spain. You've made over 30 comments. Get a life.

Lol, just trying to make idiots learn. Some people are so ignorant, I'm trying to help them.

Some people don't want to learn, but someone needs to help these idiots learn, you know?

Spains avatar Spain No Way -6Reply
@Spain Lol, just trying to make idiots learn. Some people are so ignorant, I'm trying to help them. Some people don't...

but u basically refuse to even attempt to see the other point of view, so perhaps you are the ignorant one?

Thats like saying when we were born we started as 1 year old. no. we started at 0, then after ONE YEAR, we became ONE YEAR old.

Time is but a number.

@Time is but a number.

A number that makes me late.

at first i thought this was posted today and i was like WTF?

There Kinda, Sorta was a year 0, ya know, 0 C.E. ? So 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (10 years) Then you have 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009 (10 years).... So you're wrong... and if I'M wrong someone enlighten me ?

@There Kinda, Sorta was a year 0, ya know, 0 C.E. ? So 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (10 years) Then you have...

(<3 (:): You would be right if there was a 0 CE, but there wasn't. 1 BC, then 1 AD.

@It is called BCE/CE

Before Common Era = Before Christ.
Current Era = Anno Domini.

Your version is the atheist version, they're both correct though.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply
@duckshirt (<3 (:): You would be right if there was a 0 CE, but there wasn't. 1 BC, then 1 AD.

yupp (: it's the atheist version because I knew that people were complaining about the whole religion thing earlier. so i used the neutral version (:

lolwhat.

this is wrong. when you messure something do you start a one? or do you start at zero?

@Mister_Jim_Halpert this is wrong. when you messure something do you start a one? or do you start at zero?

Seriously? Maybe you should try reading the previous comments next time. There was no year 0 so it actually did start at 1 CE.

@Seriously? Maybe you should try reading the previous comments next time. There was no year 0 so it actually did...

(...): well If the previous decades started with O's and ended with 9's (I.e. 70's = 70-79) then OBVIOUSLY 2010 was the beginning of the new decade. I don't care who said what that's how the rest of the world sees it. And stop arguing outta no where, it only makes you look like a Dick.

This decade started in 2010. It's from 2010 to 2019. If it was called 2010s it must start in 2010, or else, it makes no sense.

The first decade AD, the 0s had 9 years.

Milenniums and centuries work the way the OP said. People who thought the 3rd milennium started in 2000 are idiots.

Check out articles for 2010s, 3rd milennium on Wikipedia. Also, if you think what they're saying there is bullshit, see the references for what they're talking about. Surely all those references can't be wrong.

So 2011 is the second year of the 2010s.

I dislike how this is POTD. Congrats Anthony, you'll confuse many dumb people with this POTD.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply
@914174

AD means Anno Domini.

Spains avatar Spain No Way 0Reply

Start of 2000 to start of 2001 is one whole year. Start of 2001 to start of 2002 is one whole year. Start of 2002 to start of 2003 is one whole year. Start of 2003 to start of 2004 is one whole year. Start of 2004 to start of 2005 is one whole year. Start of 2005 to start of 2006 is one whole year. Start of 2006 to start of 2007 is one whole year. Start of 2007 to start of 2008 is one whole year. Start of 2008 to start of 2009 is one whole year. Start of 2009 to start of 2010 is one whole year.
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 10 years

But the calendar does not have a year zero. The period between the end of 1 BC and the end of 1 AD is year one.

Once 1 AD has ended, a whole year has passed. Then, 2 AD starts. Once 2 AD has ended, a whole year has passed. Then, 3 AD starts.
Once 3 AD has ended, a whole year has passed. Then, 4 AD starts.
Once 4 AD has ended, a whole year has passed. Then, 5 AD starts.
Once 5 AD has ended, a whole year has passed. Then, 6 AD starts.
And so on until 10 AD has...

ya this is the new decade starting now

danilols avatar danilol Yeah You Are 0Reply

Although any period of ten years is a decade, a convenient and frequently referenced interval is based on the tens digit of the calendar year, as in using "1960s" to represent the decade from 1961 to 1970

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade

This kind of makes it seem like 1970 was a part of the 60s...

ali_ds avatar ali_d Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Spain You do know 1970 was part of the 1970s, right?

Not according to Wikipedia. It's saying that the 1970s ranged from 1971 to 1980.

ali_ds avatar ali_d Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Richard don't trust Wikipedia... lol.

Haha I know it's not a reliable source, but I've always been taught that that's the way decades work, and I wanted to quote something, so I chose wikipedia

ali_ds avatar ali_d Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Richard don't trust Wikipedia... lol.

You don't understand how Wikipedia works. At all. Read @914010

Spains avatar Spain No Way -3Reply
@Spain You don't understand how Wikipedia works. At all. Read @914010

All I'm saying is that not every source on Wikipedia is right. That's all.

@ali_d Not according to Wikipedia. It's saying that the 1970s ranged from 1971 to 1980.

Wikipedia doesn't say that.

"The 1970s, pronounced "the Nineteen Seventies", was the decade that started on January 1, 1970, and ended on December 31, 1979."

for the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970s

Spains avatar Spain No Way -1Reply
@Spain Wikipedia doesn't say that. "The 1970s, pronounced "the Nineteen Seventies", was the decade that started on...

A decade is a span of ten years. The 1970s is considered a decade in the same way that 1973 to 1982 is a decade. However, the start of a NEW decade began on 1971. Do the math.

I see your point there OP, but the world now considers a decade as 20X0-20X9 because the tens place are the same. Since there isn't an AD 0 you can say that the first decade was 1 BC - AD 1. It's easier.

LOL at pointless arguments! ^.^

@916609

Okay so the years 1970-1979 were the way society views the "70s" but 1970 was not the start of the 197th decade. I just can't understand how so many people are unable to grasp THIS factual concept.

jaleesa182s avatar jaleesa182 Yeah You Are +4Reply

we need a new potd...

I disagreed because that's what everyone else was doing.
Also, I only bothered to read the first comment.
Just sayin'.

The new decade started at the beginning of this year(2010) and doesn't end until 2019 because the last decade was 2000-2009 and this decade is 2010-2019.

@The new decade started at the beginning of this year(2010) and doesn't end until 2019 because the last decade was...

This decade is from 2001-2010. The start of 2011 marks the beginning of the new century.

@This decade is from 2001-2010. The start of 2011 marks the beginning of the new century.

No.

Decades start in years like 2010, 2020, so xxx0.

Centuries and milenniums start in xxx1.

Google it and then shut the fuck up.

Spains avatar Spain No Way +1Reply
@Spain No. Decades start in years like 2010, 2020, so xxx0. Centuries and milenniums start in xxx1. Google it...

You, sir, are the one who should shut the fuck up. Here is a list of websites that explain why the beginning of 2011 is the mark of the second decade of the 21st century.

http://forums.canadiancontent.n...ew-decade.html http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_...w_decade_start http://answers.yahoo.com/questi...6163442AAVxi9l http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1166461.html (Check the publication date)

Those are just a few. The new decade does not begin until 12:00 am on 1/1/11. It is a common misconception that 2010 marked the beginning of the new decade.

@You, sir, are the one who should shut the fuck up. Here is a list of websites that explain why the beginning of...

Dude, you said century, not decade. I know later on you said you meant decade, but you first said century.

2011 doesn't mark the beginning of the new decade either. Check RELIABLE sites, mr. anonymous.

Wikipedia search: 2010s.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -2Reply

That last word in my comment above is supposed to be decade, not century. It's a simple mistake, so fuck off (to the commenter below).

You can't even tell the difference between century and decade so you obviously aren't a credible source.

It's really not that complicated. Of course you don't start counting at zero, you start counting at one. One means that one full year has passed, so 2011 is the 11th year of 2000. 2010 was the end of the decade, and the beginning of the next.

I'm eating chips.

@Roy I'm eating chips.

I'm on a horse.

@Roy I'm eating chips.

You eat a lot of chips...lemme guess...doritos? I don't blame you; doritos are good!

@Roy I'm eating chips.

oh so now you start being able to type :P

That makes no sense I'm pretty sure there was a year 0 but not back them because if you think about it it's hard to know because of A.D. and B.C.

fuck kinda name is Alice

2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
So technically it's the end of a new decade, but I get where you're coming from!

that's like saying the new millennium started on 2001

@that's like saying the new millennium started on 2001

(The Truth): The 3rd millennium started in 2001, yes.

Spains avatar Spain No Way +4Reply

(The Truth): ...That's because it did.

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are +2Reply

isnt there the year 2000

i think we can all agree that anthony needs to pick a new post of the day for the last day of 2010...

jill102s avatar jill102 Yeah You Are -3Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(year)
Be educated people. there is a 0. Depends on the calender.

Decade = ten years

Think about it:
1 - 2000
2 - 2001
3 - 2002
4 - 2003
5 - 2004
6 - 2005
7 - 2006
8 - 2007
9 - 2008
10 - 2009

That's 10 years, which means 2010 is the start of a new decade.

There's no need to argue. The answer is right up there.

@915685

MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE

But, I see what your saying. Scratch my comment, hahah.

You're not right. 2011 is the second year of the 2010 decade. This decade started at 12:00 AM on January 1, 2010 and will end at 11:59 PM on December 31, 2019. That's 10 full years- count them: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. This decade does not include 2020 because it is 11 full years after 2010. I know that last sentence doesn't make sense mathematically, but it works out.

Kill yourself.

@Kill yourself.

That is an awful thing to say.

@Shadi That is an awful thing to say.

(Chauncy Pickles): There are some idiotic people in this world, you know. Same as people who were born in the 1980s and 1990s who replied to an amirite post that I posted that they were not born in the 2nd milennium...

Spains avatar Spain No Way +1Reply

People who said no: By your logic, this year is also a new century and millennium, and so is every year. If you don't start at the beginning (1 AD), it's not very significant.

duckshirts avatar duckshirt Yeah You Are -7Reply
@duckshirt People who said no: By your logic, this year is also a new century and millennium, and so is every year. If you...

You don't start time of day at 1:00, you start at 0:00 (12:00 by AM/PM.) If you have two quarters you want to count in dollars, you don't start at one then say one plus two quarters = $1.50. Likewise, you don't start counting years at year 1, but instead, start at year 0.

@The_Enlightened You don't start time of day at 1:00, you start at 0:00 (12:00 by AM/PM.) If you have two quarters you want to count...

But they didn't define it as starting at 0, they defined it as starting at 1, where the year before is 1 BC, and the epoch is in between the two (thus after this year it is 2010 years since the epoch). I'm not saying how it should be, I'm saying how it is.

Also, you start the year with 1/1, so it always works that way for dates.

Lol, I am wondering why people put no. They are pretty much arguing with a fact. I wish they would post a comment and tell me why they don't think so!

@Lol, I am wondering why people put no. They are pretty much arguing with a fact. I wish they would post a comment...

there was a year 0, 0 A.D was a year. it was just the very first year but it couldn't have been an entire year past nothing without it being nothing to begin with. this sounds pretty confusing actually haha. Okay. At one point, you yourself were less than a year old but you wouldn't say that you started off at one year, does that kinda make sense? idk thats just why i said no for it.

@MissFreggles there was a year 0, 0 A.D was a year. it was just the very first year but it couldn't have been an entire year past...

Why is this voted up? There was no year 0 AD. It goes from 1 BC to 1 AD, that's a fact. There's no arguing it.

@CapedCrusader Why is this voted up? There was no year 0 AD. It goes from 1 BC to 1 AD, that's a fact. There's no arguing it.

Of course there was a year 0 AD! 1 AD does not mean that it's the first year, it means that one year has passed. Just like MissFreggles said, the day you were born, you were 0 years old, but 365 days later, 1 year had passed.

Bardagis avatar Bardagi Yeah You Are +18Reply
@Bardagi Of course there was a year 0 AD! 1 AD does not mean that it's the first year, it means that one year has passed...

Yes, in theory that works but that's not what happened historically. We just go straight from 1 BC to 1 AD. For example, at 11:59 on December 31, 1 BC, the clock struck midnight and it was 12:00 on January 1, 1 AD. That's just how we made the calendars. It is what it is.

@CapedCrusader Yes, in theory that works but that's not what happened historically. We just go straight from 1 BC to 1 AD. For...

Really? That doesn't make any sense. Edit: Checked Wikipedia, it's true! This decade is over tomorrow, and 1990 doesn't belong to the same decade as 1991. MIND. BLOWN. (MLIA) :P

Bardagis avatar Bardagi Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Bardagi Really? That doesn't make any sense. Edit: Checked Wikipedia, it's true! This decade is over tomorrow, and 1990...

But society has really ignored it. Let's just say the first decade of the common era only had 9 years.

@@913903 (CapedCrusader): Why did you disagree with this post then?

Because society has made it so that each decade starts on the "Zero" and ends on the "Nine". Sure, "technically" this may be correct, but sometimes that's not always the best way to go.

@i_love_you_and_tacos This makes no sense whatsoever.

It makes sense because there was no year 0, and you just need to realize that 1-10 is a real decade, not 0-9. For some reason we think that 10 and 11 are in the same decade just because they look the same, but 10 is the end of a decade and 11 is the beginning of the following decade.

Bardagis avatar Bardagi Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fEMMAnist (ExtremelyAnonymous):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(year)

fEMMAnist: Wikipedia search: 0s.

That is the first decade AD. It has 9 years. All the decades after that had 10 years.

Spains avatar Spain No Way +1Reply
@Spain http://lmgtfy.com/?q=0s&amp;amp;l=1

Direct quote from the link you sent me "Note that there is no year zero (0) in either the proleptic Gregorian calendar or the Julian calendar. Hence AD 1 was preceded by the year 1 BC." There is no year 0". From a connecting link on wikipedia "The 2nd century is the period from 101 to 200 in accordance with the Julian calendar in the Christian/Common Era. It is considered part of the Classical era, epoch, or historical period"

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fEMMAnist Direct quote from the link you sent me "Note that there is no year zero (0) in either the proleptic Gregorian...

Exactly.

Now, for the billionth time:
Decades work differently from centuries and millenniums.

Decades start on xxx0.

2000 years after the 0s ended, the 2000s ended, as 2009 ended.

Therefore, decades end in xxx9.

Spains avatar Spain No Way -2Reply

ha I thought the same thing, but the guys right. I thougt it worked like ages, with an age

@ha I thought the same thing, but the guys right. I thougt it worked like ages, with an age

@913501 (Anonymous): There was no year 0 but the turn of the century is 2000 and this decade already started.

2010 is the beginning of a decade. Example: 1970 and 1979 are part of the 70s, but 1980 is not. Therefore, 2010, not 2011, is the beginning of a decade.

@Spain Just fucking Google it idiot. What an idiot, seriously.

No, you're the idiot. Even your own source disagrees with you. In the article "0s" it says that the article talks about the PERIOD 1-9AD, not decade. If you go to the wikipedia article titles "0 (year)", it clearly states that "each decade begins with a year ending in 1, not 0". I know that on the list of decades it includes 0s, but it notes that it was only nine years, and to me this is just noting that it isn't technically a decade. Assuming that because 0-9AD is listed as a decade it means that 2010 is a new decade is dumb, as it VERY CLEARLY states that decades begin on years ending in 1.

Anonymous