+273

Being an atheist doesn't mean you don't have faith, your faith just lies in other things, like nature, the human mind, luck etc. You can still believe in miracles without believing someone created them, amirite?

sallynators avatar Religion
11 21
The voters have decided that sallynator is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That's called humanism too.

Laughing_sporks avatar Laughing_spork Yeah You Are 0Reply

Having faith in luck? Wtf

@wobbuffet Having faith in luck? Wtf

how does that not make sense to you

@how does that not make sense to you

Luck is inherently something you can't put faith in...well you can but it would be pointless to do so.

@wobbuffet Luck is inherently something you can't put faith in...well you can but it would be pointless to do so.

its be pointless to put faith into anything not just luck but luck out of all of those made the most sense to me. faith in nature????

@its be pointless to put faith into anything not just luck but luck out of all of those made the most sense to me...

I don't agree with the nature thing either. After all natural selection is just a series of lucky (or unlucky) coincidences. I guess you could put faith in the human mind because with seven billion minds out there someone's bound to do something great with it. Really though atheists shouldn't be characterized by having faith.

@sallynator They shouldn't be characterized by not having it either, though.

Well, the definition of atheism doesn't say anything about having faith in non-God entities.

@wobbuffet Well, the definition of atheism doesn't say anything about having faith in non-God entities.

Isn't the technical definition just that you don't believe in God and that you don't belong to any religion? But some people make the mistake of saying that atheist don't have faith at all, which they do, just not in religion. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you comment but this was basically my general idea when I created the post.

sallynators avatar sallynator Yeah You Are +1Reply
@wobbuffet I don't agree with the nature thing either. After all natural selection is just a series of lucky (or unlucky)...

cough ignorant cough
–noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
8. Christian Theology . the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.
—Idiom
9. in faith, in truth; inde...

@wobbuffet What's your point?

obviously what i had said before the deffinition
cough ignorant cough
what sallynator said: they shouldnt be characterized by not having it either, though

@wobbuffet You're not worth talking to. Have a nice life.

lol youve just run out of things to say. buh bye now (:

@lol youve just run out of things to say. buh bye now (:

Does it give you self-satisfaction to -1 my comment?

Your first comment was a copy/paste job and your second comment was unintelligible. Thus I am choosing not to discuss this issue with you.

@wobbuffet Does it give you self-satisfaction to -1 my comment? Your first comment was a copy/paste job and your second...

i didnt -1 it
someone else did

no, my second comment was copy paste
my third comment was not unintelligible, as it hasnt been voted down. and if it was, it certainly wasnt as unintelligible as your first comment.

and yet, here you are discussing it with me.

fyi:saying youre done doesnt mean the other person isnt going to reply, and after you say youre done, you should probably quit replying.

@i didnt -1 it someone else did no, my second comment was copy paste my third comment was not unintelligible, as it...

You're right, I'm sorry. I really have no idea what you meant in your first comments, though. If you care enough to explain to me I still want to talk about it.

I've got faith in nature. I'm an atheist, and my system is the circle of life. That's what I've got faith in, instead of thinkin a god wanted something to happen or made things the way they are.

SamanthaaJs avatar SamanthaaJ Yeah You Are +1Reply

If you have faith in luck, you are no true atheist. In that case, luck is your God. A true atheist believes in science. And the term "miracle" has the connotation of divine intervention and occurrence. And that's not what we're about. If you're agnostic, be agnostic and be gone with it. Just stop trying to romanticize atheism.

@If you have faith in luck, you are no true atheist. In that case, luck is your God. A true atheist believes in...

A- = not
theo = God
ist = belief of

Atheist = not believing in a God. Nothing about the word "atheist" has anything to do with believing in science.

Laconsuolas avatar Laconsuola Yeah You Are +14Reply

What the fuck. You don't have to believe in science to be an atheist. The ONLY requirement to be an atheist is not believe in God/s. That's it.