+23

I hate when people say "That's gay", but I'm not gay, I hate when people say "That's retarded", but I'm not mentally challenged, I hate when people yell "Rape!" for an unwanted hug, but I was not raped, amirite?

GracieBoBacies avatar
0 8
The voters have decided that GracieBoBacie is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Once i said "thats gay" to an actual gay person. He said "but I am gay" and stared at me angrily. It was an awkward moment, and I've stopped using that phrase

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +5Reply

So basically you're not okay with people ever kidding around? Maybe you're just overly sensitive.

@pikabeau So basically you're not okay with people ever kidding around? Maybe you're just overly sensitive.

I know this has been pointed out before (since this post has been posted over 9000 times) but it's mostly straight people offended.

Seriously guys, we appreciate it, but if you want to do something for gay rights, word policing is just petty.

Also, today I told the old joke "Is it better to be gay or black? Black, because then you don't have to break the news to your parents." to my bosses, one who is Maori and the other who is gay, and both of them laughed.

When you've experienced real heterosexism (or racism), you realise how insignificant things like "That's so gay" are.

People can kid around without being offensive to other people. Yes, I did read that ^^ and I understand. However, I've seen a person say That's retarded around the mentally challenged kids and they looked like they were gonna cry, and to a lot of rape victims, using that word for meaningless things can bring up a lot of terrible memories and be very offensive. Yeah, maybe I am over sensitive, but sorry for thinking of the feelings of everyone and not just the majority.

GracieBoBacies avatar GracieBoBacie Yeah You Are 0Reply
@GracieBoBacie People can kid around without being offensive to other people. Yes, I did read that ^^ and I understand. However...

You're not thinking of the feelings of everyone, you're thinking of the feelings of the minority. I feel like joking around shouldn't matter as long as no hurt is intended. Did you consider that most people feel that way? No.

@pikabeau You're not thinking of the feelings of everyone, you're thinking of the feelings of the minority. I feel like...

Well most people aren't gay, mentally challenged, or rape victims. And I'm done with this argument now. So if you don't agree just click No way and move on.

GracieBoBacies avatar GracieBoBacie Yeah You Are +1Reply
@GracieBoBacie Well most people aren't gay, mentally challenged, or rape victims. And I'm done with this argument now. So if you...

So you've run out of things to say? You admit defeat so quickly? What a shame. I haven't had a good argument in so long.

The gay and retarded part I don't agree with. But the rape part I do.
But people have used gay to describe odd things for a long time. And retarded has meant just plain "slow" for centuries.