+329

It's odd how people refuse to say "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance or things similar to that, and yet they continue to celebrate Christmas, Easter, and other holidays founded on a religious aspect. Amirite?

7 19
@1200261

Yes it was originally Pagan, but generally the people who don't say "God" in the Pledge aren't Pagan. And the holidays haven't been considered pagan for what, 1000 years?

Sqwanchos avatar Sqwancho Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1200418

I've seen a few issues. Lots of political drama queens went to my high school.

Sqwanchos avatar Sqwancho Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Paganism still exists today, please don't be so ignorant >.<

I know, my area actually has a lot more pagans than usual. But I've never heard of a pagan complaining about the Pledge.

@1200261

Christmas and Easter are not Pagan holidays. There used to be holidays around the same time of year and which have some traditions that Christians adopted, but Christmas and Easter are by no means Pagan. Christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ's death and ressurection. Those are not Pagan celebrations. And either way, most people who aren't Christian also aren't Pagan. And picking on Jews was more linked to politics than religion anyways.

@There didn't "used to be" pagan holidays, they still exist and are celebrated today.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. That was poor wording. When I said "used to" I meant that they were there before Christmas and Easter. My bad.

@1201091

Christians don't claim that the time of year is correct, but we chose the dates for a reason. When Christians were being persecuted there was a celebration of the Sun God of a pagan religion and Christians celebrated Christmas at that time so that they would not be punished for celebrating a Christian Holiday. They could disguise it as a Pagan one. Easter is celebrated in the spring because it is a sign of new life, and Jesus was killed in the spring anyways.

Many of the celebrations started off as just celebrations of the seasons, not Christian events. Also, the holidays don't have to be celebrated religiously.

This debate doesn't make sense to me anymore.
They're not going to remove "under God" from the pledge anytime soon.
No one forces you to say it. Yeah, it shows some more respect for your nation, but it's not a huge deal.
Seriously. Get over it. If you find the word "God" THAT offensive, you have issues. If you hate it THAT much, just don't say it.

saying god in the pledge of allegience isnt gonna get me out of school

That's not weird. Many people who celebrate Christmas do it by lighting a christmas tree and giving away presents that they tell their kids a red-suited fat man and his reindeer gave to them. Many people who celebrate Easter do it by hiding eggs and telling their kids to find the candy a giant bunny left them. Neither are examples of religious celebrations.

@1200316

(Ni maitre, ni dieu): How the hell does it go against everything America was founded on?

Funnyplantss avatar Funnyplants Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1200636

(Ni maitre, ni dieu): The USA was actually founded a bit on religion. I'm not saying organized religion in any way, but yes, it was founded on religion. Does it also bug you that our currency says In God We Trust on it?

The word God isn't just a Christian term. Jewish and Muslim people believe in a God. The Muslim's call him Allah. It's just a different language. It isn't about having religion control things. It's about having a higher power watching over us.