+21

"It's just a theory" is a terrible argument against evolution. After all, gravity is "just" a theory, amirite?

Amish_Allosauruss avatar
2 19
The voters have decided that Amish_Allosaurus is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Wait...Amish...is arguing FOR evolution? Wut.

@DanielJames Wait...Amish...is arguing FOR evolution? Wut.

I'm not arguing for it, I simply realize that there are bad arguments against evolution, just as there are bad arguments for creation. (E.g. "There wasn't enough dust on the moon for it to have been collecting for billions of years." or "If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?")

I don't wanna vote.
I feel like this is a trap somehow.

So confused... did someone figure out your password and post this?

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Amish_Allosaurus No... I'm not arguing for evolution.

Like, you're not changing your stance, but you are acknowledging that there are people on both sides who use ridiculous arguments, and that people on your side of the discussion using a stupid argument hurts your side more, correct?

I know lol it's just very unexpected. And it makes me wonder about the people who said NW, if even you with your strong belief in Creationism can see that a scientific theory is different to other types of theory.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are 0Reply

ummmm, this is awkward. I actually agree with amish_allosaurus on a post about evolution.

@1202746

Actually, no.

Technically gravity is a law, which is one step above a theory (I think). But I agree on the basis of this post. When people hear "theory", they think it's synonymous with "guess", and they fail to realize there's a ton of evidence that goes into turning a hypothesis into a theory.

ThatOneNuts avatar ThatOneNut Yeah You Are 0Reply
@ThatOneNut You're fucking retarded. Laws are lower than theories, and there is a theory of gravity

Very well-established theories that rely on a simple principle are often called scientific laws. Gravity is often referred to as a law.

@ForeverMarauder Very well-established theories that rely on a simple principle are often called scientific laws. Gravity is often...

A law is much different than a theory. There is a law of gravity as well as the theory of gravity

ThatOneNuts avatar ThatOneNut Yeah You Are +1Reply
@ThatOneNut A law is much different than a theory. There is a law of gravity as well as the theory of gravity

Newton's law of universal gravitation is a law. Gravitation is usually described by the general theory of relativity. Yes, there is also a theory of gravity. In general, however, gravity is considered to be a law. I don't think my original comment was "fucking retarded", douche.