+365

the legal drinking age is 21 yet an 18 year old can legaly work at a bar, i think there's something wrong here, amirite?

InsanityEyess avatar
2 23
The voters have decided that InsanityEyes is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You're right, something IS wrong here. You forgot to capatilise the letter "i"

Actually only people who are 21 can serve alchohol. If it's like a restaurant/bar then 18 year olds can be hired as waiters but not bartenders.

@RandalionAveragePants I'm pretty sure you can be a bartender at 18. I know in Tennessee you can.

Yeah the law varies per state quite a bit. I know in California it's this way same for most states, the south is pretty laid back on those things though.

Yep, the age of enlistment should be raised to 21.

@RandalionAveragePants Yep, the age of enlistment should be raised to 21.

agreed. either the enlistment age should be raised or the drinking age should be lowered. i think it should be age of enlistment being raised. peoples arguments for the drinking age to be lowered it "well europe does it!" were not europe, we have a different culture, we would abuse the shit out of it.

fuckoffwhores avatar fuckoffwhore Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fuckoffwhore agreed. either the enlistment age should be raised or the drinking age should be lowered. i think it should be age...

ooh, that's a point I hadn't thought of! I look at it from a developmental point of view. Our brains still aren't fully developed until our early twenties, specifically the part that's responsible for informed decision making.

@RandalionAveragePants ooh, that's a point I hadn't thought of! I look at it from a developmental point of view. Our brains still aren't...

this is also true. they decision making part really starts to play a role when you drink 8 beers (and americans would, we havent grown up with a teeny glass of wine with dinner, most of us drink to get drunk) and alcohol or any sort of mind altering substance for that matter its harmful to mental development.

You know people in Europe drink a lot more than we do. In some places, a 13 year old could be downing a bottle of Vodka, and no one would look twice...At this one one of my friends from Russia told me that. Really.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are 0Reply
@_Jojo_ You know people in Europe drink a lot more than we do. In some places, a 13 year old could be downing a bottle of...

They COULD be. But most of them don't. They drink more as it's part of their culture, but they don't drink to get drunk like we do. They don't abuse it as much as we would.

fuckoffwhores avatar fuckoffwhore Yeah You Are +1Reply

I find it funny that you can't drink or smoke in America till you're 21, but you can enlist in the army at 18. You can't get drunk or have a cigarette, but you wanna go die fighting for your country? Fuck yeah!

@Retooser You only have to be 18 to buy tobacco products in the US.

Oh, cuz I was in Seattle last year and tried to get an 18 year old I was with to buy me some, they said he was too young

In Australia, you can drink and smoke at 18

guys, different places have different laws, learn this. many places its 18, some its 21 and i think a few others are at 16

@name guys, different places have different laws, learn this. many places its 18, some its 21 and i think a few others...

It's 19 in BC, and a lot of European country's go by a slightly exaggerated "if you can see over the bar, you can drink"

I live in Amsterdam. I can drink, smoke cigarettes and weed legally at 16.

Even though the legal drinking age is 18 here in Shanghai, I would be really surprised if the bartender denied me a drink if I went into a bar/club, even though I'm only 14, and this worries me.