+249

Do you have any idea how alone our galaxy is? Think of it this way: light travels at the speed it would take to circle the Earth eight times in one second, and travelling at the speed of light, it would take 2 million YEARS to reach the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way. It's absolutely mind-boggling to think about, amirite?

Whackas avatar
5 11
The voters have decided that Whacka is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But if you moved at the speed of light you wouldn't travel at all through the time dimension, so your trip would be instant. A long wait for an observer though

deejs avatar deej Yeah You Are +4Reply

...Could always put a bunch of sex gods on a rocket and they can just make it their descendants' missions to find out about it. ;)

Did you just say mind bottling?

So, how do we know if there is even other galaxies, if light is the fastest possible speed something can travel at, then even if we sent a probe like voyager to the nearest galaxy, wouldn't it take it more than 2 million years to get there, and another 2 million years for it to send data back about it?

Thinking about this makes me marvel at how big God is that He holds the entire universe in the palm of His hands and yet He still takes the time to have a personal relationship with each and every one of us. Truly awe-inspiring!

@allybally Thinking about this makes me marvel at how big God is that He holds the entire universe in the palm of His hands...

Really? You had to bring religion in to this? Well, guess it's to late now...I'll just go grab some popcorn and stretch my thumbs for the ensuing debate...