+270

A sex-ed speaker shouldn't be shoving "no sex before marriage" down people's throats, amirite?

3 41

Sex ed classes should cover a variety of topic, and abstinence should be one of them. However, while abstinence is a choice that people should respect, a sex education lesson should discuss sex - including methods of birth control, issues of consent, etc.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +26Reply
@Simon Sex ed classes should cover a variety of topic, and abstinence should be one of them. However, while abstinence is...

The person I'm talking about basically said there's no place for sex outside of marriage and wouldn't even discuss methods of birth control and only mentioned STD's.

@The person I'm talking about basically said there's no place for sex outside of marriage and wouldn't even discuss...

Yes, that type of speaker I would be against. It's highly unrealistic, and anyone who is teaching sex education, particularly to teens, is a fool if they don't discuss keeping safe while being sexually active.

As I said before, abstinence should certainly be mentioned, but it should be presented with a variety of other choices.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +10Reply

I always dislike those type of sex-ed teachers... Especially if they say specifically "no sex before /marriage/." What if the kid is not heterosexual? There's no marriage... That's something that always irritated me.

@I always dislike those type of sex-ed teachers... Especially if they say specifically "no sex before /marriage/."...

I know, I have a teacher who's all about that and I keep thinking to myself "...But, What if you're gay?" Teachers like that get on my nerves.

peppers2s avatar peppers2 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@peppers2 I know, I have a teacher who's all about that and I keep thinking to myself "...But, What if you're gay?" Teachers...

Yeah.. When I first had sex-ed, I was/didn't realize my orientation so I was just like "okay!" And then when I had it again, because my school repeated it, it was just like "...what do I do then!? D: " Except I didn't say that. <_<;

@Yeah.. When I first had sex-ed, I was/didn't realize my orientation so I was just like "okay!" And then when I had...

Yeah, my class was really awkward... Everyone at my school is undoubtedly straight and Catholic and I've always been questioning and not really religious...I don't fit in...like, at ALL.

peppers2s avatar peppers2 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Preaching abstinence only leads to pregnancy.

@mchristie ...which leads to death.

Don't have sex, because you will get pregnant and die!

Mean Girls :)

@1219392

ono smilie Movie reference fail.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are +21Reply
@Plz explain your logic?

Numerous studies have shown that abstinence only education increases teen pregnancy because students are not given adequate or truthful information regarding forms of birth control.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Plz explain your logic?

When a student body is left without knowing about birth control they have to rely on sex myths. They end up believing a girl can't get pregnant her first time or that the pull out method really works. Even if a school teaches abstinence kids will still have sex.

@pikabeau When a student body is left without knowing about birth control they have to rely on sex myths. They end up...

Or they'll just end up believing that condoms and birth control don't work so they won't bother using them.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +1Reply

I hate when people tell me to wait for marriage to have sex because I don't ever want to get married.

@1219743

Yeah, people assume that because I don't want to get married, I don't ever want to fall in love or be in a relationship.

@HarryPotterFan777 Yeah, people assume that because I don't want to get married, I don't ever want to fall in love or be in a relationship.

The same thing happens to me. When ever I say I don't want to get married people are like "don't you want kids?" I'm like you don't need a ring to have kids.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Your_Stalker what do they usually say when you tell them that?

A lot of people try to sell me on the idea of marriage and tell me why I should get married, but no one has ever told me something that would make me want to get married.

I don't know. I think they should give all the facts about sex, but stress the importance of having enough self respect to only commit your body to someone who's willing to commit to you, married or not.

My school taught diseases and birth control and stuff like that, then there was a little topic on abstinence. I go to a catholic school, so don't think that we're all Jesus freaks, because the system isn't as stereotypical as many think.

@Montana My school taught diseases and birth control and stuff like that, then there was a little topic on abstinence. I go...

all of my schools have been public schools and in elementary school they taught us about sex (sorta, just how a baby is made) and how to shave and stuff, then i moved in middle school and sex ed there wasnt about sex at all. the word condom wasnt used once. just abstinese. it was weird the teacher was 28 years old and not married and she says she was a virgin. even then i was like ....thats old.

@all of my schools have been public schools and in elementary school they taught us about sex (sorta, just how a...

Public school? Wow, I've always been in the Catholic school system even since grade school (in Canada that's normal, it isn't private school), and I always thought that the public system would be more...explicit.

I feel like that isnt that bad, if they aren't pushing morals as much as the advised circumstances for raising a child in the instance of pregnancy. Morals are a part of education in most areas, but just stressing "marriage" isn't the point of sex-ed.

@Wynaut I feel like that isnt that bad, if they aren't pushing morals as much as the advised circumstances for raising a...

See the above comment to Simon about what kind of sex-ed speaker I was talking about in the post.

@See the above comment to Simon about what kind of sex-ed speaker I was talking about in the post.

No I understand what was implied, but I was just pointing out that it could be construed another way, which wouldn't be as terrible as forcing morals. Of course even if stability of a family is stressed, the teacher still has to teach more than abstinence.