+9

One thing I appreciate about the Harry Potter movies is how impeccably they are cast. Every actor or actress mostly lived up to my expectations of how each character should be portrayed, all except for Fleur Delacour. She was absolutely nothing like the Fleur from the books. I'm not alone in thinking that, amirite?

Cuban_Bs avatar
0 21
The voters have decided that Cuban_B is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

How could your main complaint be FLEUR?! I mean, POA, GOF and OOTP Dumbledore were NOTHING like the books. (Not that I mind, really. In fact, I've grown to enjoy Gambon's take on the character.) Snape's not as much of a bully, his nasty temper is pretty much gone, (I actually like Rickman's take BETTER than the book version) Bellatrix was a cowering little bitch when hit with the Cruciatus Curse (that one actually still pisses me off) yet your largest complaint is Fleur? One of the characters with hardly any screen time? Well, it's your opinion, I guess, but to me it's kinda like complaining that the refrigerator's a bit more noisy than you expected when a pipe burst in the basement and is flooding the place.

@MrRite How could your main complaint be FLEUR?! I mean, POA, GOF and OOTP Dumbledore were NOTHING like the books. (Not...

lol oh no, that isn't my main complaint by far! I don't like the movies much honestly, compared to the books most are complete shit! That's why I was sure to specify the that the casting is ONE thing I do appreciate! :) And I totally agree with everything you said about Dumbledor, Snape, and Bellatrix, which is why I said they "mostly" lived up to my expectations. So with all that in mind, the reason that particular casting choice bothered me so much is because (even with such little screen time) she could have been such a visually stunning and dynamic character. I suppose I was just looking forward to seeing a part veela, do you know what I mean?

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Cuban_B lol oh no, that isn't my main complaint by far! I don't like the movies much honestly, compared to the books most...

"could have been" a visually stunning character? Clemence Poesy isn't attractive enough for you? Good lord, man, your standards.... I don't even..... Whatever. Anyway, it's interesting to find another HP fan who's read the books, yet doesn't flip about all the (inevitable) changes. So you really think Rickman's Snape is better than Rowling's too? Yeah, I think that sometimes J.K laid on his meanness a little too thick. One scene that I really don't like is in GOF when he outright insults Hermione's teeth making her cry and gives Harry and Ron detention for speaking out against it. I just can't buy that out of all the Gryffindors who hate Snape, ESPECIALLY Harry who'd already had a pretty good relationship with Dumbledore and McGonagall at that point, not one person reported Snape to either McGonagall or Dumbledore.

MrRites avatar MrRite No Way -1Reply
@MrRite "could have been" a visually stunning character? Clemence Poesy isn't attractive enough for you? Good lord, man...

lol honestly no, she does absolutely nothing for me. Not that she isn't pretty in her own right, but she absolutely paled in comparison to the otherworldly beauty with sheets of silver hair that my imagination conjured up. I digress... oh, most definitely! Alan Rickman can do no wrong! I love that his take was so subtle, yet lost none of the venom... as far as the incident with Hermione, I know, right?! Even when I found out Snape was actually a "good guy" I was
like, yeah but he was still a prick. I like it
though, he's more belivable that way. Tbh I was actually more pissed that nobody reported Umbridge! Snape was cruel, but she was a fucking sadist. I can't believe she didn't get killed off...

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Cuban_B lol honestly no, she does absolutely nothing for me. Not that she isn't pretty in her own right, but she absolutely...

Heh, forgot about Umbridge for a bit. Man, Imelda knocked that role straight out of the damn park, didn't she? Yeah, if I recall correctly, (and I may very well be WAY off, as it's been years since I've read OOTP) Harry had a kind of mentality like reporting Umbridge would let her know that she had gotten to him, so he just decided to be a stubborn jackass about it. Since she was only doing the quill punishment on him, it worked fine. She didn't really go full out on the other students until she'd gained so much power, there was no one TO report her to. Also, I think death would be too easy for an evil being like that. It's the main reason I was so very disappointed with Voldemort's death. After years and years of, "There are worse fates than death, Harry.... Death is not the most terrible thing that can happen to someone etc" building up to a creative and fitting punishment for one of the most evil beings in fiction and reality, they just kill him.... BOOOOOOOOOO!

MrRites avatar MrRite No Way +2Reply
@MrRite Heh, forgot about Umbridge for a bit. Man, Imelda knocked that role straight out of the damn park, didn't she?...

:D Didn't she though?? Like I mentioned previously, (mostly) damn good casting! You're right about Harry having that mentality, but what pissed me off was in that book he walks by a younger kid (I forget which year) And he is crying with his hand in essence of murlap. I mean, come on! Even if no teacher could have helped, I'm sure someone could have told a parent of something! Tell me (even after the school year) some overprotective mother wouldn't have went looking for that bitch, you know? Besides even if Harry was being stubborn, Ron and Hermione knew and didn't say anything. I know Harry would've been furious, but if your friend was being hurt wouldn't you say something? Yes, I completely get what you're saying about Voldemort. I suppose the reason it doesn't bother me so much is because although there are things worse than death it was still the one and only thing he was terrified of. But I still wish Umbridge had died in the last book! Lol

@Cuban_B :D Didn't she though?? Like I mentioned previously, (mostly) damn good casting! You're right about Harry having...

Ah, yes. You're completely right about the parents issue. Though... I wouldn't be surprised if she were watching every owl sent from Hogwarts. Wasn't there something written in there about how she was doing that? I remember she was searching students for copies of The Quibbler... Hmm... Well, if she wasn't watching the owls, then you've exposed a HUGE plothole. If she WAS, however, then I highly doubt she would have let anyone report what she was doing to their parents.

Also, death is a tricky thing in the HP universe. The main fear of death in our world is the unknown aspect of it all. However, in the HP universe (within the wizarding community), it's pretty well known that you don't stop existing and you continue living at least a fairly peaceful existence on "the other side". One would think the fear of death would be much less in the wizarding world, yet it really isn't.

MrRites avatar MrRite No Way +1Reply
@MrRite Ah, yes. You're completely right about the parents issue. Though... I wouldn't be surprised if she were watching...

Yes actually they were watching the owls, but if my kid came home on summer break and told me that had happened to them I'd be out for blood! Lol But I suppose (wizard or not) it's just a human thing to fear the unknown. Also, I think rather than fear alone Voldemort had a contempt for death because it made him a mere mortal, isn't that correct? I think I remember reading that...

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Cuban_B Yes actually they were watching the owls, but if my kid came home on summer break and told me that had happened to...

Yeah, I don't remember. It's really hard for me to keep on reading a book continuously (I have ADD) so it's been ages since I've read anything past GOF, so I don't remember too many book specific things past that. Well, either way, Tom was a dumbass. He should have made at least one of his horcruxes something like a rock or an ordinary muggle coin.

Either way, what was your favorite book and movie? (they're allowed to be two different ones)

@MrRite Yeah, I don't remember. It's really hard for me to keep on reading a book continuously (I have ADD) so it's been...

My favorite movie is The Sorcerers Stone, because it holds a special place in my heart simply for being the first one ...also because I think it stayed true to the feel of the book. My favorite books are a tie between the 4th and 6th... the Goblet of Fire because of the intricate plot (the back story behind Barty Crouch) and Half-blood Prince because it was such a fucking cliffhanger. Although I will always hold a grudge against the sixth movie for leaving out the battle scene. There was just no excuse for that. What about you?

@Cuban_B My favorite movie is The Sorcerers Stone, because it holds a special place in my heart simply for being the first...

(Cuban_B):My favorite book was easily Prisoner Of Azkaban. The reason is because it's that book where the series stopped being these stand-alone entries of, "The Adventures of Harry Potter" and when it not only actually started to bring together the complete wizarding world, but also the plot surrounding Harry and his family and their friends. It's odd, because that's actually the book with the second largest gaping plot hole/convenience in the Time Turner. Good god, don't get me started on the time turner. However, the amazing way that the pieces of a truly complete world started to fall into place was enough to make me overlook that.

@MrRite (Cuban_B):My favorite book was easily Prisoner Of Azkaban. The reason is because it's that book where the series...

Yeah usually when someone asks me my favorite I alternate between picking the third and forth, again because of the backstory. I loved how they all became animagi and how Scabbers was Pettigrew... in the fourth book I liked how they incorporated different schools. For me that just broadened the wizard world in my mind.

My favorite MOVIE?... I'm honestly not sure. I'll get back to you on that once I've finished rewatching the rest of em.

I get what you mean about the battle. It would have been nice to see that take place. I can see how they'd have an aversion to making every film end with a wand battle, though.

@MrRite My favorite MOVIE?... I'm honestly not sure. I'll get back to you on that once I've finished rewatching the rest of...

Maybe so, but even then Dumbledor dying was so anticlimactic! That should have been much more suspenseful ...

@Cuban_B Maybe so, but even then Dumbledor dying was so anticlimactic! That should have been much more suspenseful ...

I agree, that should have been more emotional. However, I can't put my finger on what went wrong or how they could have done that scene better. Objectively, it is a superbly done and suspenseful scene, but SUBjectively, I just get nothing out of it.

So, what's your LEAST favorite book and movie then?

@MrRite I agree, that should have been more emotional. However, I can't put my finger on what went wrong or how they could...

Did you really think so? I dunno I don't think it was quite suspenseful or dramatic enough... Well I think I was most disappointed by the sixth movie (the way it began with Harry in that diner, the burning down of the Burrow, and Dumbledor's death) and honestly my least favorite book was the final one. Not that I don't love the entire series, mind you, but of all the books I think it dragged the most. You?

@Cuban_B Did you really think so? I dunno I don't think it was quite suspenseful or dramatic enough... Well I think I was...

It's been a long time since I've read the last book, but now I'd have to say SS was just kind of a look into the average magical student's day at Hogwarts with a bit of Harry Potter drama sprinkled in every chapter or so. It's a solid piece of literature and it isn't "boring", but definitely the least entertaining. Same with the movie.

About the Astronomy Tower scene. I look at that scene and I can't find one thing necessarily badly wrong with it. The acting on everyone's part was downright masterful, the proper steps to build tension were taken and executed correctly and the big "twist" was truly not obvious. I don't understand why I don't like it. If I had a genuine complaint about the scene, it'd be that Dumbledore's final words to Severus were so clearly not spoken by a man who felt threatened or endangered in any way as opposed to the book where his plea could have been interpreted several ways. Other than that, though, I just can't find a damn thing wrong with it...

Side question: Is there an actress in the entire world that could, in your eyes, even begin to compare to how you imagined Fleur?

@MrRite Side question: Is there an actress in the entire world that could, in your eyes, even begin to compare to how you...

Of the top of my head I'm going to say Amanda Seyfried. She has a very ethereal quality about her, even without makeup. I guess I just feel that whoever was cast should have had some sort of inhuman quality to her looks, you know what I mean?

@Cuban_B Of the top of my head I'm going to say Amanda Seyfried. She has a very ethereal quality about her, even without...

I understand what you mean completely. Seyfried's hot, definitely. However, I think Rowling made it impossible for any actress to "properly" fit that role. The whole point of a veela's beauty is that it's lightyears beyond anything a human's could be. Therefore, none of our human actresses could ever compare. For my money, though, Poesy was a damn fine choice for Fleur this side of the magical divide.

@MrRite I understand what you mean completely. Seyfried's hot, definitely. However, I think Rowling made it impossible for...

Yeah, I dunno she just doesn't do it for me. Admittedly it would be a difficult spot to fill for any actress, but that's where wardrobe (hair and makeup) come into play. I wanted to see long, silver hair dammit! Lol