+340

Beatles fans (who don't usually do drugs): it's annoying when people are like "you have to be stoned to appreciate the song fully!" or "the beatles were crazy and the only reason they were so good is because they did drugs all the time and their songs were all high" because even though, YES, they did drugs, the essence of the Beatles is not drugs, amirite?

Music
6 27

I agree, drugs were a major part of the music culture then, and still kind of are now. that does not mean their message was "do drugs." their message in a nutshell was to enjoy life. People who make this argument are basically saying Katy Perry's music is about strapping whipped cream cans to your boobs.

daletvaks avatar daletvak Yeah You Are +12Reply

Please explain the song "I am the Walrus".

@NoSoapRadio Please explain the song "I am the Walrus".

People were over-analyzing the group's work, or so Lennon believed. He wrote a crazy, f-ed up song with no purpose so that they couldn't analyze it. Sure, it may have been under the influence of drugs. But there was a reason for it! Which is why it makes no sense.

Explained. Happy?

A decent portion of their songs were drug influenced, but you don't HAVE to be high to appreciate them. However, being high does make them sound pretty awesome.

you don't have to be high to think they suck, either.

yeah i mean i don't do drugs but i still love the beatles, and it seems that all the highest rated comments on beatles music videos are about drugs and it's like...being high is not the most insightful state to be in, nor is it the "best." fine get high and shit, but that's not the only way to appreciate the song, and it's kinda sad that it seems like a lot of people's experiences with the beatles have to do with drugs...drugs are not a super amazing revolutionary way to spend your life, even if youre not addicted.

kenzawinss avatar kenzawins Yeah You Are +1Reply
@kenzawins yeah i mean i don't do drugs but i still love the beatles, and it seems that all the highest rated comments on...

(btw i was the one who made this post, i was just kinda afraid that a bunch of people would disagre...haha)

kenzawinss avatar kenzawins Yeah You Are 0Reply
@kenzawins (btw i was the one who made this post, i was just kinda afraid that a bunch of people would disagre...haha)

Disogre, you mean? Disagre, isn't a word buddy. and how do you know unless you've done drugs?

@KickAss Disogre, you mean? Disagre, isn't a word buddy. and how do you know unless you've done drugs?

pretty sure she just forgot an "e" and meant disagree. it was completely pointless of you to point that out anyway, so stop replying to people's comments just to disagree with them, it's her opinion. and it's just annoying. (:

@technicolor_eyes pretty sure she just forgot an "e" and meant disagree. it was completely pointless of you to point that out anyway...

I was commenting to ask how the person knew without doing drugs, the typo was just the icing on the cake. And I'm pretty sure they meant, disogre....

@KickAss I was commenting to ask how the person knew without doing drugs, the typo was just the icing on the cake. And I'm...

sorry....i didn't realize i had to dull my real senses and hallucinate before appreciating music.
also, "how do i know" that drugs are not the most "insightful state to be in" or a "super amazing revolutionary way to spend your life"? sorry, but i prefer being in a state of mind in which i can actually think independently rather than relying on a joint to make me understand life...

@kenzawins sorry....i didn't realize i had to dull my real senses and hallucinate before appreciating music. also, "how do i...

Maybe the only way to appreciate music is with dull senses? Besides drugs like LSD help you see things in a new light, not a duller light. While you're on the drug, you'll hear the music in a different way, the dulling of senses comes after the trip is over.

@KickAss Maybe the only way to appreciate music is with dull senses? Besides drugs like LSD help you see things in a new...

mm...I see what you mean. I just don't think I NEED to do drugs to get something out of the song.

@kenzawins mm...I see what you mean. I just don't think I NEED to do drugs to get something out of the song.

Yeah you probably don't... I mean it's kinda stupid putting your health in danger in the hopes of getting fulfillment of a song.

I listen to the typical "stoner genre" of music, but I have never touched drugs in my life!

@Canadiandork55 I listen to the typical "stoner genre" of music, but I have never touched drugs in my life!

There's a word for your type of people, typically it would be poseur, but this time you're excused on the account of you being Canadian....

P.S. it's not a compliment, what I'm trying to say is that calling you Canadian and a poseur would be redundant! So by calling you Canadian, it's expected you're also a poseur.

ahh...kinda regretting going on anon now...

Alright people listen. Some of the songs are weird and maybe they wrote them when they were on drugs. But that dosen't mean that the Beatles are a band that runs on drugs. They are amazing musicians and should be credited properly. Areosmith on the other hand... (They are an awesome band but they were always drugged up)

Why does everyone think the Beatles are the greatest band ever made ever just because it was a long time ago. Just because you like it doesn't make it the best

ASWCCs avatar ASWCC No Way -2Reply
@ASWCC Why does everyone think the Beatles are the greatest band ever made ever just because it was a long time ago. Just...

They're the greatest because they revolutionized music and how music is made. They influenced pop culture not only in the 60s but now as well. They influenced rock bands of all genres as well as non rock genres. I could go on but that's basically why. They're not my favorite but I do acknowledge their greatness.