+214

It makes sense that a lot of funding for schools needs to go to science, because many supplies need to be bought. But when they cut funding for the arts because of math, it makes you wonder why math constantly needs more money when art actually needs new material at least every few months, amirite?

Sqwanchos avatar Education
3 9
The voters have decided that Sqwancho is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My school got brand new math textbooks, but our clubs, sports, and art programs are at risk.
The books cost ~$60 and if we got 300 of them [new geometry, algebra 2/trig textbooks, algebra 2/trig workbooks, and that's all I know of], that's $18,000. Math hasn't changed. The old books weren't even falling apart.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +7Reply

They should get equal ammounts. Graphing calculators are expensive and kids like to steal them. It sucks though that art teachers often have to buy supplies with their own money because the school won't/can't buy the good supplies.

@kichihaya They should get equal ammounts. Graphing calculators are expensive and kids like to steal them. It sucks though...

At first they should get equal amounts, but after math books, pens/chalk and the other basic classroom essentials math doesn't need anything extra. If you rented a graphing calculator (instead of buying one to keep) they made you pay for it if you kept it, or damaged it.

Sqwanchos avatar Sqwancho Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Sqwancho At first they should get equal amounts, but after math books, pens/chalk and the other basic classroom essentials...

Everyone in my algebra class had to buy their own graphing calculator. There are some things the students should pay for.

In my school our Head Teacher is an ex-accountant. So he spent 30,000 over budget on an office that was demolished last year. So gradually paying off that and he spends all the remaining budget on Science, Music and publicity for the school.

Now the entire school knows why we're in a f*cking recession if people like him were in charge of the money.

_Z_s avatar _Z_ Yeah You Are +3Reply

Maybe the problem isn't that math needs all the money, but that art needs too much money.

@Hahahha Maybe the problem isn't that math needs all the money, but that art needs too much money.

I agree. Art supplies aren't cheap and need to be replaced constantly. Not many people will use art in their adult life.

@Jules I agree. Art supplies aren't cheap and need to be replaced constantly. Not many people will use art in their adult life.

Yeah, not very many adults use it but I think it still should be an option, even if it's just so you can appreciate the work that goes into art.

Sqwanchos avatar Sqwancho Yeah You Are +1Reply